Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the perfect Christmas present, straight from France. :sneaky: Man, even if I won the lottery there wouldn't be much change left.

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3300.asp?id=12676

"Two VR8 blocks, each with a fifteen degree bank angle, are joined in the crankcase to form one engine. Both eight cylinders are set at an angle of ninety degrees to each other and are aspirated by a total of four exhaust gas turbochargers. The engine delivers 1001 HP at 6,000 r.p.m. and provides a maximum torque of 1250 Newtonmetres at between 2,200 and 5,500 r.p.m."

I like the two-tone paint.

·
Registered
1994 Sedan Deville
2,146 Posts
Wow, talk about power. I don't think my license would last more than a week after getting this car. Tires wouldn't last that long.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
I dunno, it may just be me...I've never found these supercars and ultra expensive bad ass cars to be all that great. They're all ugly to me, I like my old mopar muscle... :)

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS
423 Posts
I've read quite a few articles about this car. And yes, it's amazing. I love it. But, do they sell enough of these things to even break even??? If so, who's buying em?? If I had the money I guess I would. :)

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I have to agree with SPYDER. When I started selling crs in 1968, I was with Dodge. We were a small dealer with hefty overhead. It was impossible to compete with the big boys both in price and in volume of inventory. I had an idea and the boss liked it. We began stocking the units other Dodge dealers were terrified of, and I was put in charge of that HiPo department. We ran small ads in the paper, highlighting 2, 3 or 4 of the goodies we had in stock, and I got to drive one as a demo. My "demos" sold quickly, and between 1969 & 1971 I had a different demo almost every 4 months. During that time I ordered and drove brand new cars, that today are $75,000 cars at Barrett-Jackson auctions! I had a 383 4-Bbl. Dart GTS, a Coronet Super Bee 440 6-Pack, a Coronet R/T 440 6-Pack, a Charger R/T S.E. 440 4-Bbl., and a Challenger R/T Hemi Convertible ! Also had a Challenger Scat Pac 440 4-Bbl and a Challenger Trans Am 340 ~
No drive-by-wire, no speed limiters, no electronics, just raw nasty RWD H.P.
I found that the Torqueflite Automatics gave a faster "seat-of-the-pants" feel than did the 4-Speeds. We had a Charger 500 too. (Little known animal) the one with exposed headlights to qualify NASACR, in tomato red. That was a Hemi 4-Speed, but was way too heavy (front end) and in comparasion to the others was a dog. Colors? I had 'em all. Sublime, Vitiman "C", Plum Crazy, Top Banana, Hemi Orange, Petty Blue, Sassy Grass Green and Butterscotch. If we got the kid credit, and/or Mom/Dad signed, it was done deal! MAJOR BIG grosses! I even sold a group of Hell's Angels and they were very nice to me. Youth came from far & wide to us, It was called Performance Alley, as we had them all lined up on the narrow side of the lot.
Every darn night though we had to bring them all into the shop to prevent theft, and then all out in the AM! PITA!! I got stopped by the cops weekly for speeding, but never ever got a ticket, as we serviced all the cop cars in town, and they wanted them done right away, 'ya know :)
Yup, MOPAR muscle of the late 60s & early 70's is still the king.
But.....I got old. So, now I drive a sedate Town Car. 4,000+ pounds & 239 HP.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speedyman_2 said:
I've read quite a few articles about this car. And yes, it's amazing. I love it. But, do they sell enough of these things to even break even??? If so, who's buying em?? If I had the money I guess I would. :)
No, Volkwagen Group probably won't make very much on the Veyron, and in fact they'll probably lose a few million. They're only going to build about 50 of them depending on the demand and deposits. But VW says that Bugatti is kind of an advertising tool for their engineers, and will cost far less than a Formula 1 program that other companies favour.

That said, they're already planning some other Bugatti models, which will undoubtedly be a lot more affordable (relatively speaking). So the intention is that the brand will eventually make money. They just have to build it up first.

So who's buying them? Don't know, but the rapper Busta Rhymes has one on order apparently, and so does Wyclef Jean.

·
Registered
Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood
574 Posts
yeah, i remember reading about the veyron a while back on how stuff work.com. thats a really cool site

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Sandy, you are a god! What i would give to have been able to drive those cars. Damn, the memories you must have, priceless...

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Ralph said:
Don't know, but the rapper Busta Rhymes has one on order apparently, and so does Wyclef Jean.
Thanks for clearing that up, because I thought it was the other, non-rapping Busta Rhymes that ordered one.

I still like the Sixteen better. Imagine if they ran a turbo setup on THAT. :sneaky:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
davesdeville said:
Thanks for clearing that up, because I thought it was the other, non-rapping Busta Rhymes that ordered one.
LOL, well, there are probably a few people around who wouldn't know what "Busta Rhymes" does unless I mentioned it....

Anyway, yes, the Sixteen. It could definately be Cadillac's Veyron! Cadillac would probably lose money making them, but they need it to get that Standard of the World back, and 16 would do it.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Spyder, we put in for a Hemi Dart Coupe, but politics overruled, and we never received it. I think 15 (or was it 25?) were made, and they all went to race car drivers, but I seem to recall that Spaulding Dodge got 1 or 2 for stock.

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
The Veyron isn't supposed to be a money-making machine, it's more of a promotional item for Bugatti like the Sixteen for Cadillac. The publicity value outways the cost of the item.

I really wished Cadillac would release at least 10 Sixteens to be sold at an auction or in the Nieman Marcus Christmas Catalogue. But even if I COULD afford a million dollar+ car, I wouldn't buy it anyway.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
SpeedyArizona said:
The Veyron isn't supposed to be a money-making machine, it's more of a promotional item for Bugatti like the Sixteen for Cadillac. The publicity value outways the cost of the item.

I really wished Cadillac would release at least 10 Sixteens to be sold at an auction or in the Nieman Marcus Christmas Catalogue. But even if I COULD afford a million dollar+ car, I wouldn't buy it anyway.
If they made 10 16s i would sell my house and buy one.......

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
By the look of them, you could probably fit your house into it! If they built 10 Sixteen's I'm sure Sal would be the first in line, second Ralph, and I guess you'd be third.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
SpeedyArizona said:
By the look of them, you could probably fit your house into it! If they built 10 Sixteen's I'm sure Sal would be the first in line, second Ralph, and I guess you'd be third.
LOL! Yes

You think if i sold my house and cars i could go to Cadillac with a wad of cash and ask them if they would sell me it?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I don't think so. I heard somewhere that the Sultan of Brunei (sp) offered a few million for it and GM declined.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sandy said:
Spyder, we put in for a Hemi Dart Coupe, but politics overruled, and we never received it. I think 15 (or was it 25?) were made, and they all went to race car drivers, but I seem to recall that Spaulding Dodge got 1 or 2 for stock.
Sandy, what do you think of the new Hemi's? Did you test drive a Charger or 300 yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts