Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS4 V8 F55 1SG White Diamond Tricoat w/ Ebony Int
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new around this forum and thought I'd introduce myself, and ask a few questions. My name is Brian and I just purchased a 2005 STS4 with the V-8, White Diamond Tricoat with Black leather interior. It is my second Cadillac, the first being a 1999 STS.

The 05 has 70K miles and as far as I know is fully loaded, minus the V option. One owner (60+Year old little lady) car meticulously maintained with all records. It still looks like it rolled of the showroom floor. So far I'm extremely happy with it.

I'm still learning/playing with a lot of the settings etc, so any tips would be appreciated!

There is one thing that bothers me about it. The tinted Side view mirror, and rear view mirror. Is there a way to make the side view stop tinting itself. It drives me nuts, maybe I'm just not used to it. There is a button on the far left of the rear view that says its an on/off switch, but each time i press it, it doesn't seam to turn it off. Maybe I can shut this off completely in the Navigation system?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help you can throw me. Looks like there are a lot of nice Caddies on this site, and good information!

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
You can pull off the mirror glass and unplug the connector to the glass. Really the only way that's free.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! This sounds like a fine car.

The inside rear view mirror and LH outside rear view mirror are designed to dim together. There isn't an option available to maintain the interior mirror without dimming the exterior. The mirror should have an on/off switch that you may need to hold for a brief time (depending on which one you have). About the only way I can see you achieving this is to disconnect the wiring behind the mirror glass. There is a single connector dedicated to the auto-dimming feature. Unless you've removed and installed mirror glass before, there is a definite risk of breaking it. This needs to be done carefully. Alternatively, you could remove one or both wires from the appropriate connector plugged into the Driver Door Module located behind the interior door trim panel.

----------

And apparently I type too slow. Ludacrisvp seems to have beat me to the 'Post' button :)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I would have to assume there likely is a fuse for the dimmer after thinking about it for a moment.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
No, not for the mirrors exclusively. This would mean disabling an entire module (the mirror itself) and anything else powered by that circuit. The mirror dimming operates between (roughly) 0 - 1.5VDC.

----------

On the Driver Door Module, the two wires are in connector C2 (the only 'Black', 20 cavity connector), terminals 10 and 20. The wire colours are Terminal 10: Pink and Terminal 20: Gray. There will be cavity numbers embossed on the connector housing, usually at each corner.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I had accidentally sent 5VDC to the dimming mirror on the DTS when I was re-wiring the terminals to use the 09 DTS mirrors with turn signals and (not usable for me) SBZA for about a half second, that mirror got REALLY dark for about 5 minutes before it returned to normal. At least I assume it was 5VDC based on the information about the mirror I could find. So if someone wants to get a darker dimmer then you should look into sending higher voltage to the mirror glass to dimm it. ( no idea the long term effects of this and if you break it i'm not responsible.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses!

MRC do you guys keep this in Performance or Touring?

also curious how many miles you guys are getting per tank on a STS4 V8?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Typically i am in MRC Performance mode and Sport mode, see about 230 miles before I fill it, about 1/4 to 1/8 tank left when i fill up.
However it should be noted that you have a 5spd and 07+ V8 and 08+ both V6 and V8 have 6spd and V is all 6spd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, is there a location on this site or on the web, to punch in my VIN, and see the options etc... I see people listing F55 1SG lots of different accronyms, just curious what I've all got in my baby!

----------

Checked the bottom side of the spare tire cover, which i saw in other posts holds the key to my answer I see F55 and 1SG, which should mean fully loaded?

Pleased!

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SF 113k | '97 SLS (blown hg @154k - sold)
355 Posts
compnine.com you can sign up for a free trial, it will give you 10 vins for each email as of now. S1G is the highest model (V8 Luxury Performance Package)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Checked the bottom side of the spare tire cover, which i saw in other posts holds the key to my answer I see F55 and 1SG, which should mean fully loaded?
That will give you the majority of the options for the car. I believe the 1SG was the package that included the most standard options. On my invoice it was about $8k for this package.
But there are plenty more single options that are desirable as well.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Sometimes I see 300 miles on a tank.

I will choose Performance on good roads. They are too rare. Ask me about tires!

·
Registered
2005 STS N*, 1SF, 144K mi.
650 Posts
I manage a regular 350 per tank out of mine, a V8 1SF, but I'm gentle with her most of the time.

I'm biding my time on the tires... Plus, I'm gettin' old.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Checked the bottom side of the spare tire cover, which i saw in other posts holds the key to my answer I see F55 and 1SG, which should mean fully loaded
"Fully Loaded" is a very poor term in today's car market, and in my opinion has no place anymore. There are many option packages available for vehicles now, but I'm not aware of many where you can get absolutely everything available in all of them. This just isn't how they are built anymore. For example, I have a very well optioned STS with pretty much everything except a sun roof. Although as part of the AWD package, they deleted the rear spoiler and it is not available as a factory option. You can buy a "Fully Loaded" STS-V, but you can't get ventilated front seats or adaptive cruise control. Car sales-people still use this term to lure customers into a false sense of "getting everything" and this is just not true. You need to know the options and purchase accordingly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didnt buy it based upon a fully loaded window tag.

Heck i purchased it from the little old lady down the street!

But I agree, its a pretty much meaningless tag!

350 miles...wow, that seems real strong! I have a lead foot i think.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I could see that if it is the RWD V8 with the fleet / rental configuration drivetrain and mostly highway miles.
Final drive ratio is like 2.73:1 compared to the AWD @ 3.29:1 I want to say there was also a 3.71:1 ratio on something too.
(numbers from the top of my head)

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
511 Posts
I think 350 is a lot also, unless it is lots of freeway driving. The majority of my driving is all surface roads. I get between 230-260 before i fill up. And i only have RWD. Not sure about the rear end ratio though. Compared to rpm's others have said they churn on the freeway at similar speeds, i think my car may be equipped with a more performance gear ratio. Realistically the STS doesn't get much worse mpg's than the 2002 VR6 Jetta i used to have. And the Jetta didn't have 320HP on tap :)

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
400 is easy on the highway in my wife's car. The OP was asking about my 2006 AWD and it's Winter!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts