Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
lacmang, I must agree with you. some cars are good and some are really bad but this isn't limited to lowrider magazine. Any custom car magazine will have tacky cars. What's tacky to one person is great looking to some one else. Magazines are in the business of selling as many copies as possible. This means appealing to the widest possible audience. And a part of that audience likes the tacky cars.

I see a lot of different types of cars in magazines. Some are mind blowing and then there are those that just look like a joke.

But hey if the people building them like it and the magazine editors think people who read their magazine like it they will keep on being built and shown.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of those clown cars that are totally not street able are done that way in order to get more points at shows. They aren't intended for any other purpose than that. and as long as the judges keep awarding them the most points it will keep on happening.

The same thing happened to Hotroders and custom cars in the 60's & 70's. Some of the AMBR winners in this era were just as wild. They eventually grew out of it and the lowrider crowed will also. Some day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
caliguy65 said:
lacmang, I must agree with you. some cars are good and some are really bad but this isn't limited to lowrider magazine. Any custom car magazine will have tacky cars. What's tacky to one person is great looking to some one else. Magazines are in the business of selling as many copies as possible. This means appealing to the widest possible audience. And a part of that audience likes the tacky cars.

I see a lot of different types of cars in magazines. Some are mind blowing and then there are those that just look like a joke.

But hey if the people building them like it and the magazine editors think people who read their magazine like it they will keep on being built and shown.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of those clown cars that are totally not street able are done that way in order to get more points at shows. They aren't intended for any other purpose than that. and as long as the judges keep awarding them the most points it will keep on happening.

The same thing happened to Hotroders and custom cars in the 60's & 70's. Some of the AMBR winners in this era were just as wild. They eventually grew out of it and the lowrider crowed will also. Some day.

Yeah, I didn't wanna get into what I think of other types of customs but...
I think rice burners are a joke, everytime I see one with a big spoiler and a muffler that sounds like a lawnmower I roll my eyes up and laugh.
Trucks and SUVs I don't care for at all, I don't care if it has 28 inch rims and screens,they're boring and all look the same.
Hot Rods have some of the tackiest customs, some are really nice, and if all you did was modify the engine, put duals, rims and a good paint job then great , but flames (except for the realistic kind) have been done to death and are tacky in my opinion, a lot of them have the same Cragar rims, or have the engine sticking up out of a hole in the hood, but these are my opinions they're all art I guess some are just bad art, but it's really all in the eye of the beholder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
"these are my opinions they're all art I guess some are just bad art, but it's really all in the eye of the beholder."

I'm with you on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Hey there guys,

I am a new member on this site and I have a 95 Fleetwood Brougham with 74k, as well as a 69 Continental Sedan project car. These are both being snatched up by the lowrider crowd.

Here is my feeling on it: I love my cars to look stock and in the case of the 69 to have upgrades that make it more reliable and drivable than stock. But I love the big rwd cars and I can't look past the craftsmanship that goes into the lowriders. So if there are people out there that save these big, mostly unloved boats from the crusher by customizing them, more power to you. at a show that I go to in Danbury, CT, I saw a Cordoba lowrider. That car would have definitely been in a junkyard if not for somebody customizing it.

BTW, that 90's FWB is Beautiful. I would have used stock springs and 15" wires, but my taste is just a little different from the craftsman who built it.

Jed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Jed95fwb said:
Hey there guys,

I am a new member on this site and I have a 95 Fleetwood Brougham with 74k, as well as a 69 Continental Sedan project car. These are both being snatched up by the lowrider crowd.

Here is my feeling on it: I love my cars to look stock and in the case of the 69 to have upgrades that make it more reliable and drivable than stock. But I love the big rwd cars and I can't look past the craftsmanship that goes into the lowriders. So if there are people out there that save these big, mostly unloved boats from the crusher by customizing them, more power to you. at a show that I go to in Danbury, CT, I saw a Cordoba lowrider. That car would have definitely been in a junkyard if not for somebody customizing it.

BTW, that 90's FWB is Beautiful. I would have used stock springs and 15" wires, but my taste is just a little different from the craftsman who built it.

Jed
I like your response, not putting people down for the type of styles they like, in the end we all love caddys, dosent matter if its a stock, lowrider, or hotrod as long as we are keeping them on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
Lowcos, I see you have a 91 Caprice. What have you done as far as mods to it? BTW the Fleetwood is sweet. I am looking into buying a Caprice soon. I want a 93(because of the round fenders front and back) but i just lost out on a 91 on ebay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
addison_ii said:
Lowcos, I see you have a 91 Caprice. What have you done as far as mods to it? BTW the Fleetwood is sweet. I am looking into buying a Caprice soon. I want a 93(because of the round fenders front and back) but i just lost out on a 91 on ebay.
I actually sold the caprice recently, didnt have anything really done to, just some wheels and a stereo. loved the car though just wanted something differant, just bought an 82 mark 6 white on white. Real clean car, hope it dosent turn out to be a pyle never owned a ford before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
LOWCOSBIGBODY said:
I actually sold the caprice recently, didnt have anything really done to, just some wheels and a stereo. loved the car though just wanted something differant, just bought an 82 mark 6 white on white. Real clean car, hope it dosent turn out to be a pyle never owned a ford before.
Is it one like this one?? www.collectorcarads.com/ addetail.asp?carID=2884 Man that's nice. I have the opportunity to buy a 1986 Lincoln T/C for 795. what do you think??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
addison_ii said:
Is it one like this one?? www.collectorcarads.com/ addetail.asp?carID=2884 Man that's nice. I have the opportunity to buy a 1986 Lincoln T/C for 795. what do you think??
Yep its just like that but mine is a Bill Blass edition, has a full top, I would like to change the top, so the oval windows arent covered, I love those things, I love the car just has a problem I need to get fixed, it will die for no reason, it will usally start back up but sometimes it wont. Dont know how to work on it though, dont know anything about 302s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Those are nice. i know this is a Caddy forum and all but hey nice lines to those cars. I also have a 79 Mark V. Unfortunatly Im going to have to sell it to get the Brougham done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
I drive a stretch of Whittier Blvd almost everyday. I used to cruise Whittier Blvd back in the day. If you don't know where that is, then you don't know the history of cruising OR lowriders.

I built a '58 Chevy Impalla Low Rider model (Revell?), LONG before most of you guys were born and long before I could drive (I also built a '70's era Coupe Deville with slicks and a blower once).

I remember when ONLY hispanics drove lowriders. That was LONG before the Hip Hop culture started using them in their MTV videos and introducing them to the white boys east of the Mississippi. (Actually it was long before MTV or cable TV.)

I remember when lowriders weren't influenced by the import crowd. (I mean why is crushed velour now a rarity, but colorful leather and vinyl popular? It's all the asians fault!!)

I find the current uniformity of the lowriders boring (just as I find the current uniformity of 'gangsta' attire lacking in creativity or individuality. The current styles are not OG!).

I do appreciate some lowriders for their workmanship and their attention to detail. But too many people building lowriders think it's about the spokes and hydraulics and they leave the rest of the car stock (some just might not have enough dineros). And that makes most lowriders look like they've been done before, many, many times before.

What makes my car unique, and especially in LA, is it's one of the few 'customized' Fleetwoods that ISN'T equipped with Daytons or hydraulics.

Anyone and their Tio can lowride a Fleetwood, and the proof is in how many vato's already have. The only way to stand out now, is to make a 2 door or a convertable (except for my top secret plan, which cannont be divulged here right now). And once that has been done, it too is no longer unique.

You could easily fill a book (or two) with '93-'96 Fleetwood lowriders. But it would be hard to fill one chapter with 'other custom' Fleetwoods.

That said, I would like to build a traditional lowrider with Imperials and heated leaf springs on a '53 Chevy upholstered in a 'Mexican' blanket. But that would come AFTER I build a traditional rod of some sort, or custom or...

Adios chicos y chicas and viva Los Angeles (we start it, you copy it)!! :cool:
Then you remember Supremes then the original lowrider wheel. I have a set of five if you want to buy them.

And I love lowriders and in the midwest and thier not as popular here anymore. Here it's all imports and a competion to see who can put the biggest wheels on SUV's and cars. I don't mind the SUVs but if I see another 80's G-body with a lift kit and 26's I'm going to shoot them. Where someone gets the idea that a car that sits 2 feet off the ground looks good I don't know, but they should be shot!!!!

And for the original topic that 2 door is nice as hell the way it is. Why did Cadillac quit making 2 door Fleetwood?
 
61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Top