Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here goes, recently i split up with the ball and chain and sold my house so i am losing some good discounts on my insurance. i currently am using country insurance. right now i am paying $140 a month and its about to jump to $299 per month. i am 24 and i have a clean driving record but i do have a claim.

any comparison people out there that are similar with me on what they are paying for insurance. can anyone recommend anything good that they have found?

thanks guys, derek

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Couldn't tell ya, but I know your insurance will drop like a rock when you hit 25...

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
I just turned 25 and I have only been paying $120 a month prior to that. That claim must have been raping you.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
Couldn't tell ya, but I know your insurance will drop like a rock when you hit 25...
I know it drops when you're 25 but I don't think its a huge drop unless you're married. I know I live a long ways from you but I don't pay that much for all 3 of my cars. The beater only has liability but the V and the wife's expedition have full coverage. I've had one claim for uninsured motorist and my rate didn't change any.

Edit: I just went and looked at my last statement. We spend $134 a month for all 3 cars

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I had no accidents, am still single and when I turned 25, I saw my rates drop about 30-40%...

·
Registered
Cadillac
237 Posts
I have Metlife auto insurance and it is a very competitive rate. I also just found out about, and took, an online defensive driving course affiliated with Metlife and the National Safety Counsel for $20 that will save me over $400 over the course of the next 3 years. Give 'em a call and get a quote.

·
Registered
Cadillac
188 Posts
Yeah when you hit 25 it all changes. Thats really why i waited to get my V until last year. So I went with Allstate. They have great service decent rate at $125 a month I have a pretty clean record. No claims. So i think you might have to bit the bullet a little until it drops.

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again guys. i am gonna start shopping around tomorrow. i was expecting my rate to go up a little bit when i lost my home owners and "married" discount. but not double in price.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
thanks again guys. i am gonna start shopping around tomorrow. i was expecting my rate to go up a little bit when i lost my home owners and "married" discount. but not double in price.
dude this hits me as a surprise:hmm: I thought you had a girlfriend or recently broke-up and lived at your parents house???? wow see what assumptions do

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
39 Posts
I turned 23 a few months ago, and have all of my insurance through State Farm and I'm paying $167 a month for comprehensive with a $100 deductible. No accidents or anything, although I had an old Monte Carlo that was stolen about 4 yrs ago. I do have renter's insurance through them also but that's it. Only discounts may have been a good student discount or something when I was in college.

Vee is right about the online defensive driving courses too, they're fairly cheap and can save you money over the long run.

I do know that insurance varies based on where you live, it might be more expensive if the theft (and having your car taken to Mexico) risk is higher... Geico has some pretty good rates too in a lot of places, definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dude this hits me as a surprise:hmm: I thought you had a girlfriend or recently broke-up and lived at your parents house???? wow see what assumptions do
no you had it right, well kinda.. i was practically "married" and owned a house with the girl. while i was still paying my mortgage on the while i was selling i lived at home. i FINALLY sold the house and now i am losing my discounts. we have been split up for about a year now but my insurance company still thought we were "married" :thumbsup:

now i rent a house down on ASU's campus with a few other guys. living the dream you know? now if i could just get some insurance

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I'm 35, have 1 accident and live in expensive Massachusetts. My insurance with a $500 deductible is under $1100 per year...

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I turned 23 a few months ago, and have all of my insurance through State Farm and I'm paying $167 a month for comprehensive with a $100 deductible. No accidents or anything, although I had an old Monte Carlo that was stolen about 4 yrs ago. I do have renter's insurance through them also but that's it. Only discounts may have been a good student discount or something when I was in college.

Vee is right about the online defensive driving courses too, they're fairly cheap and can save you money over the long run.

I do know that insurance varies based on where you live, it might be more expensive if the theft (and having your car taken to Mexico) risk is higher... Geico has some pretty good rates too in a lot of places, definitely worth checking out.

cool thanks, looks like tomorrow i am gonna spend the day on the phone with gieco/state farm/allstate seing who can help me out. maybe ill check into some classes

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
no you had it right, well kinda.. i was practically "married" and owned a house with the girl. while i was still paying my mortgage on the while i was selling i lived at home. i FINALLY sold the house and now i am losing my discounts. we have been split up for about a year now but my insurance company still thought we were "married" :thumbsup:

now i rent a house down on ASU's campus with a few other guys. living the dream you know? now if i could just get some insurance
ok i thought I was crazy for a minute...just buy another car and get a multi car discount:sneaky:

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
I'm 35, have 1 accident and live in expensive Massachusetts. My insurance with a $500 deductible is under $1100 per year...
i thought you were older than that...not bad... just saying...

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i thought I was crazy for a minute...just buy another car and get a multi car discount:sneaky:
lol i was thinking about getting another sport bike. the curb monkeys down here love those things :cloud9:

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
cool thanks, looks like tomorrow i am gonna spend the day on the phone with gieco/state farm/allstate seing who can help me out. maybe ill check into some classes
I'd stay away from Geico. They will drop you at the drop of a hat if they feel like it...

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan
607 Posts
I'd stay away from Geico. They will drop you at the drop of a hat if they feel like it...
Agreed, my mom went to geico when I was a teenager and got hit by a garbage truck, they dropped her like a bad habit. It was also a PITA because they made us take all of our cars and get them inspected at a local tire and lube place. It was a waste of time and money.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts