Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Been following you guys for over a year now and really value your opinions and expertise. That being said, I have a little delema. I own a 2006 Escalade base. I bought this in October 2013. At the time it had 87,500 miles and was one owner and maintained very well. Now a year and half down the road I'm going to have to obviously put some money into it (99500 miles). Little things only. Biggest purchase will be tires. The truck as been great. Now this is where you guys come in.
As you well know, it is tax time. My wife and I have been going back and for with this for at least 4 months. She was contemplating trading in the 2006 for one of the 2007-2014 model years. ESV preferred. So I have been on my own scouring the net reading everything I can to make a decision, but sometimes you can inundate yourself with too much info. She sees it as that even though newer will mean higher milage compared to ours(to fit finances). And her debate to me is this. Even though it will have higher miles the little things would be less worn. And to her it's the little things that add up. She knows that these motors are almost bulletproof. So that's her argument.
Now for me, I love the 2006. I feel that this body style is the last when the escalade was different looking from all the Tahoe and yukon. And also to me it is more Truck than luxury vehicle than the 2007+.
Basically guys if any of you have any experience with 2007+body style I appreciate your opinions. And just incase you were thinking I would be looking to purchase a 2009+ only. Read 2007-8 had motor mount problems? True experience would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
All I can say is avoid the 07 at all costs as gm had so many issues and problems with that year

I seen a 08 esv and the interior still looked and felt cheap compared to the 02-06 body style(recycled garbage is what I heard was used)
I have heard that even though the 07+ has a bigger engine and newer tranny it felt underpowered compared to the 03-06 due to the extra weight that gm somehow added(regardless of model)

----------

Also it don't matter on the year mileage will take a toll on certain items(bearings, hubs etc)

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
I researching the newer body style now. I have an 05 and want the newer body style with more power and luxury.

So far what I'm seeing is stay away from the 07 and 08 models. Seems to eat cam bearings, several reports on the forums compared to no reports of later years that I can find. I'm lookin at 09 and 10 models as they seem to have what I want options wise (nav traffic and lane departure, along with mag ride being standard in 09). The 10 model has the usb port added to control an ipod or plug in a memory stick. I'm also liking the 6 speed automatic transmission, I have them in both my Audi and STS and it really wakes things up with the closer gearing of having more gears.

I'm a little the opposite from you, I'd like a little less truck and a little more luxury car. Most days I'm driving either my STS or my Audi so the truck ride doesn't do it for me anymore on the weekends.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Wake I ain't totally bashing the third gen but I have yet to see any of the later year models in the price range I am comfortible paying(if you get my drift)

So far I have seen where some in the third gen are upgrading to the "supernav" unit which is the one with usb, iPod control and the sd card slot for maps updates(which compared to the dvd is a godsend)

I have had experience with the 6 speed in a GMC Terrain(nice vehicle but the 4 banger sucks on power) and the tranny is a lot smoother then the 4 speed by a long shot

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So tell me if I got this wrong. As for interior and ride. The interior does feel better by design but the materials feel cheap?Also the ride is harsher? As for magnetic ride on newer last longer than our air ride? My air ride is working fine but I don't know if it is original or the previous owner had it changed. I guess I can ask the dealer for any history but I wouldn't think they still have history of an 9yo vehicle. I guess if I new for sure that the suspension was already done I would have a better feeling of keeping the truck because I know that is a very big expense. But guys I really appreciate all your input. Thanks again.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
raviel119 said:
So tell me if I got this wrong. As for interior and ride. The interior does feel better by design but the materials feel cheap?Also the ride is harsher? As for magnetic ride on newer last longer than our air ride? My air ride is working fine but I don't know if it is original or the previous owner had it changed. I guess I can ask the dealer for any history but I wouldn't think they still have history of an 9yo vehicle. I guess if I new for sure that the suspension was already done I would have a better feeling of keeping the truck because I know that is a very big expense. But guys I really appreciate all your input. Thanks again.
The fluid half of the setup was changed during the third gen trucks they still have the auto level feature though
I personally like the stock shocks

----------

Huddy said:
I wouldn't get hung up on Nav. You can always update that with an aftermarket head unit that will have 10x the bells and whistles as a factory unit. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX
True but some may not want aftermarket

Me the day my factory amp or nav unit takes a dump I am switching not until then

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
Wake I ain't totally bashing the third gen but I have yet to see any of the later year models in the price range I am comfortible paying(if you get my drift)

So far I have seen where some in the third gen are upgrading to the "supernav" unit which is the one with usb, iPod control and the sd card slot for maps updates(which compared to the dvd is a godsend)

I have had experience with the 6 speed in a GMC Terrain(nice vehicle but the 4 banger sucks on power) and the tranny is a lot smoother then the 4 speed by a long shot
I agree they are a bit more than I want to pay also. They sure seem to hold their value better than our second generation vehicles, that's for sure.

I figure though if I finally get what I want then it will be cheaper in the end as I have a better chance of keeping it longer. I've upgraded vehicles several times in my life when I first bought the compromise vehicle, it always cost me more in the end. My 05 is a compromise vehicle and with depreciation I'll be lucky if it costs me $7K for the 10K miles I've put on it, not to mention all the parts and labor I've put into it to make it better which still isn't quite good enough for me. Had I spent a $10K-$15K more for a 3rd gen back then I'd be ahead of the game in time and money I believe.

The supernav unit as you refer to it is just the 13/14 model year nav, higher resolution screen with SD card maps, and the other options I mentioned. I think also the moving guide lines on the reverse camera if I'm remembering correctly. I'm good with a regular unit from 10 but wouldn't mind an upgrade later when the factory unit fails. I'm not big into aftermarket though.

I love the 6 speed auto, My V is really nice to drive with that tranny, the same 6L80 I believe as the truck transmission, although I admit my Audi 6 speed auto is a little better. But as you noted the GM 6 speed is much smoother than the 4spd auto.

----------

I haven't driven one of the new ones yet, too tempting to get one now if I did. LOL. But one thing I've heard several times is that owners of 2nd gens who upgraded miss their 2nd gen seats for comfort. The 3rd gen does get props for better form and function but I've also seen a lot of remarks about the dash to plastic breaking, too thin I recall being ntoted.

I've read 80K-100K miles for the mag ride shocks on the newer vehicles. I had mag ride on my 03 STS and the shocks were still solid at 93K miles when I got rid of her, no leaks and rode great. I also had previous versions of the adjustable suspension in two Eldorados and a C4 Corvette, none of them had good shocks beyond 60K miles. It made sense to me as the mag shocks don't have the mechanical valving in them that the previous adjustable suspension did.

I'm still learning the 3rd gens though before I actually go out shopping for one. I'm hoping to learn a bit more about reliability and durability before I pull the trigger, looking for a specific year or year range.

The history will still be in their computers and accessable. I've had 15 year old cars, long out of warranty that I was able to have the dealer pull records for. My 96 Corvette, my 05 Audi, my 05 Escalade I was able to get GM warranty and service records for.

Suspension work isn't too bad or too expensive if you like DIY. I just finished rebuilding my 05 front and rear, it did suck for me but most of that came from working under a vehicle that lived in salt country. I spent probably around $1000 and my labor to change out every single piece under the front and rear. My next purchase though, I'm going to try hard to buy one from one of the southern or southwestern states. I grew up out west and never disliked working under a car until I started experiencing east coast cars.

----------

The fluid half of the setup was changed during the third gen trucks they still have the auto level feature though
I personally like the stock shocks

----------

True but some may not want aftermarket

Me the day my factory amp or nav unit takes a dump I am switching not until then
Yeah, I'm one of that group. I'm done with aftermarket stereos, amps, and speakers, etc. The factory units nowadays are pretty good and don't forget that a lot of the functionality for the vehicle are interfaced through the factory stereo. On my V the driver memory and a lot of the vehicle settings like remote start, light behavior, and even programming key fobs are interfaced through the touchscreen stereo. I don't want to lose any of that functionality.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I may look into a 2009/2010 model when I do upgrade
Though I am keeping my 03 for a tow vehicle for my car

Time to start looking around a price checking :)

One thing I would wonder about the longevity of is the led headlights on the plantnium package along with the led taillights regardless of trim(though my next truck will have the platanium package)

Wake have you heard my audio system??

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'm gonna stew on this a little bit longer. If I find a deal that I can't pass up like mine than I'll pull the trigger.

This is my truck in a nutshell....

2006 Base bought in October 2013 for $16,500. It had 87,500 mile on the ticker.
Now it has 97,000.
It came with a Pioneer avic-d3 nav unit. With all available options.
Leather not one tear. Paint, still beautiful. Corsa exhaust. And, at the time, new Firestone Wintertraks. Which are unbelievable in both wet and dry, I may add.

As for what I will have to fix, if I decide to keep....

Service airbag light on.
One tpms sensor bad.
My front ac/heat stuck in defrost. Which I already had a place look at and I waisted 300 for reflashing of module and whatnot. Bottom line he said that it was either one of 2 things. The unit itself or he said that there was a bulletin about a wire behind the unit. Either way it really hasn't been a big deal for us because during the summer we have the rest of the vents directly above us to cool.
Which brings me to the rears. The ac works fine but the Heat doesn't. Also that really hasn't bothered all of us cause we really can't stand the feeling of heat on us directly. That's one of the main reasons we moved from Florida back up North.
Really, other than that, there is not much else. I already have changed the driver's side tie rods. And I replaced the starter the first week I got it.
If I do end up keeping the truck I plan on doing the LED conversion inside and out. I have to buy new tires but I am going to go the aggressive side. I like the Wintertraks but I think this time I will go with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, GY duratrac, or KO2s.
I plan on taking this truck on the beach this year fishing and camping out.

And TCM, I tried to take my truck to autozone and have the code for the airbag light pulled but they told me that they would only pull codes if it had a service engine light on. So, maybe when I go in for my oil change Goodyear pull the code for me.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade AWD
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
MyLade1.jpg
MyLade3.jpg This is 2 pics of my Lade. About the only thing body wise I whant to change is the tailights to LED. I have Euros on there now. Also thinking of a nice hood, maybe.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The only place that can pull those codes is a gm dealer
I have led taillights and love them(converted the whole truck to led)
They are bright and worth the money

My truck came with the euro taillight housings and after one got damaged I just got the leds over a replacement one for the broken one I got them from carid(www.carid.com)

·
Registered
2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue
200 Posts
Hi all. Been following you guys for over a year now and really value your opinions and expertise. That being said, I have a little delema. I own a 2006 Escalade base. I bought this in October 2013. At the time it had 87,500 miles and was one owner and maintained very well. Now a year and half down the road I'm going to have to obviously put some money into it (99500 miles). Little things only. Biggest purchase will be tires. The truck as been great. Now this is where you guys come in.
As you well know, it is tax time. My wife and I have been going back and for with this for at least 4 months. She was contemplating trading in the 2006 for one of the 2007-2014 model years. ESV preferred. So I have been on my own scouring the net reading everything I can to make a decision, but sometimes you can inundate yourself with too much info. She sees it as that even though newer will mean higher milage compared to ours(to fit finances). And her debate to me is this. Even though it will have higher miles the little things would be less worn. And to her it's the little things that add up. She knows that these motors are almost bulletproof. So that's her argument.
Now for me, I love the 2006. I feel that this body style is the last when the escalade was different looking from all the Tahoe and yukon. And also to me it is more Truck than luxury vehicle than the 2007+.
Basically guys if any of you have any experience with 2007+body style I appreciate your opinions. And just incase you were thinking I would be looking to purchase a 2009+ only. Read 2007-8 had motor mount problems? True experience would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.
NO WAY! Do not give up your 06 for a 07+ ....07 and newer are complete garbage! They look nice but are made from complete garbage! Trust me LOL I detail for a living, my family owns 2 used car dealerships. I have hands on experience with all of them, they 2nd Gen are a million times nicer, and made WAY better then the newer ones! Unless you go 2015, stick with the 06! 07-13 or 14 interiors are made from 79% recycled garbage! Literally!

----------

View attachment 282634
View attachment 282666 This is 2 pics of my Lade. About the only thing body wise I whant to change is the tailights to LED. I have Euros on there now. Also thinking of a nice hood, maybe.
Yep, once the weather gets a little nicer i am buying a twin ram air good hood for my 05 EXT! I will post pics in a few months after its painted and installed!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Silent assein thanks for the tip
I hate how the seats in the thrid gen trucks look AND feel CHEAP

I guess I will hold out for a 2015 as they look as nice as the second gen trucks on the interior quality

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I just bought an '02 Base 2wd and love it. I have driven a friend's '08 and liked it, but the biggest draw back to them for me, is the programming in the computer. Even though the 6.2 makes 403 HP it's hard to use it all due to the computer reeling it in to keep from damaging the transmission.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
ga_etc said:
I just bought an '02 Base 2wd and love it. I have driven a friend's '08 and liked it, but the biggest draw back to them for me, is the programming in the computer. Even though the 6.2 makes 403 HP it's hard to use it all due to the computer reeling it in to keep from damaging the transmission.
Gm limited the engine in the second gen trucks also along with the top speed

Max rpms are 4000 at 110mph and the speed limiter holds you back
They do it for a reason and that is to remove liability if something breaks(it's called a loophole)

Take the rear axle for example gm states not to fill it over a certain level so it doesn't blow out the front seal(mine has unfortunately) and if the diff was filled over the point the warranty wouldn't cover a replacement seal(mine was like that when I got it and I never knew other then the fluid would be low ever other oil change)

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Didn't know all of that. Even though the 5.3 is only 285 HP the truck never feels under powered. I think the power these trucks make is a lot more usable than the newer ones. I will give the '07+ credit though. The little time I have spent in one, it did feel a little more special than the '02-'06s.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue
200 Posts
Didn't know all of that. Even though the 5.3 is only 285 HP the truck never feels under powered. I think the power these trucks make is a lot more usable than the newer ones. I will give the '07+ credit though. The little time I have spent in one, it did feel a little more special than the '02-'06s.
More special as in the very ugly weird looking clock on the dash? or the paper thin trunk "carpet" they put in them? or maybe it was the super cheap, plastic feeling leather that cracks after a few months of sitting in it? ... lol I'm just messing with you, but I really hate what manufacturers did between 07-13,14 ...Vehicles are made of complete garbage for those years and it makes me sick! ...Inside AND out, cheap cheap cheap!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Silent_Assasin said:
More special as in the very ugly weird looking clock on the dash? or the paper thin trunk "carpet" they put in them? or maybe it was the super cheap, plastic feeling leather that cracks after a few months of sitting in it? ... lol I'm just messing with you, but I really hate what manufacturers did between 07-13,14 ...Vehicles are made of complete garbage for those years and it makes me sick! ...Inside AND out, cheap cheap cheap!
+1 the esv I seen looked great on the outside but cheap on the inside(SUPER CHEAP)

I am glad I didn't take up the owner of the local dealer who said he could get me in that esv(no thanks) I told him I didn't want two car payments at the time as I was still paying on my 03

If I don't get a 06 I will wait and get a 2015 when they get in my price range

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
This was a couple of years ago when I was in the '08, and it was a one owner that was very well taken care of so it really wan't showing any wear. I don't know what they are looking like now after being handled by a couple of "normal" owners with kids and dogs to haul around. My '02 has had four owners, but it's very apparent that the truck was well cared for and very likely garaged all of it's life. It has 210k on it and looks like it would have half that. So I really wouldn't be surprised if these were the more robust trucks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts