Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread a couple of weeks ago with all of the needed led bulbs listed for an led swap for an 06 CTS. Well, after searching for about an hour and a half now I've still yet to come across it. Anybody willing to shoo me in the right direction?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
the best thing to do for a full listing of bulb types is go on this website and put in your vehicle info. it tells you every light bulb size and model in the car.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

i got all my LEDs on ebay, i tried a few different ones till i found what i liked. the ones that are circut boards are the brightest and for the front dome lights i like this design best because they aim the bulbs straight down rather than throwing the light inside the housing...mine have 4 bulbs each and they are bright...now that i see these have 8 each im thinking of getting these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Whit...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
theres also this design
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T10-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

edit
just found these and im asking the seller about combined shiping..these are a good price either way but i need a few for a few cars, so if he will put 3 or 4 sets under 1 shipping im sold!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-x-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2006 CTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I think this was it lol. I read into another thread and was about two clicks from oredring the leds and realized it was a cts-v thread. That whole search function isnt as easy as some make it seem lol. Umm one more question though. What lights should be used for my clear side markers and clear fogs/DRLs?

·
Registered
2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k
1,698 Posts
side markers are 194 (same as corner headlight, map light, and others), fog is 9145 and/or H10, and DRL is 3157 (same as reverse light).

now i said the DRL is the same as the reverse light, but where i used the 25led Matrix bulb for the reverse, i used an SMD LED tower for my DRL.. similar to this

in order for it to not hyperblink (led makes the car think a bulb is burnt out due to low current draw) you have to simple splice in a resistor for each bulb. just dont use T-taps like it shows in the picture

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
nope, only if you intend on using LEDs in your DRL/ front turn signal. and even then you dont have to, you will just have 'hyper blink' where it blinks really fast to indicate a light is burnt out (it wont actually be burnt out though). i bought a resistor kit on ebay for about $7 so it not expensive and it is easy enough to do.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sounds like a plan. Hopefully I'll have good news for you guys in the next couple of weeks!

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 5M
614 Posts
side markers are 194 (same as corner headlight, map light, and others), fog is 9145 and/or H10, and DRL is 3157 (same as reverse light).

now i said the DRL is the same as the reverse light, but where i used the 25led Matrix bulb for the reverse, i used an SMD LED tower for my DRL.. similar to this

in order for it to not hyperblink (led makes the car think a bulb is burnt out due to low current draw) you have to simple splice in a resistor for each bulb. just dont use T-taps like it shows in the picture
How much brighter do those towers actually make the DRLs?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
DRL arent meant for emitting light like headlight are, they are purely for visibility to other drivers. which is why i went with an LED bulb that had more radially facing LEDs than forward facing. the radially mounted LED will fill the DRL housing making it more visible to other drivers. if i had used a bulb with mostly forward facing LED (like what i used in my reverse lights http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/andrew_Schenk/LED%20SAP%20MOD/Reverse%20and%20licence/CIMG0860.jpg?t=1265570384 ) it wouldnt have improved the visibility

here is a picture of my DRLs on.. if i had used the same bulb as my reverse lights it wouldnt look like a glowing square, it would look more like a little round ball of light.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2 5M
614 Posts
Oh okay, I guess that would be the best option for someone with clear DRLs. This summer I think ill buy the clear DRL/side marker combo off ebay and also get a rear spoiler. But thats if I have money after my 100K maintenance :)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you can make your own clear DRL lens for $25-30, that's what mine are. then since you aren't dropping $250 (or however much clear DRL/fogs sell for on ebay), you can buy a painted spoiler for $110 and clear side marker for $40 and still have money left over.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope, only if you intend on using LEDs in your DRL/ front turn signal. and even then you dont have to, you will just have 'hyper blink' where it blinks really fast to indicate a light is burnt out (it wont actually be burnt out though). i bought a resistor kit on ebay for about $7 so it not expensive and it is easy enough to do.
one more question on that...will i need load resistors for the side marker lights as well? Don't they blink with the blinker?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
LEDs in the side markers are fine without resistors. only the front and rear indicator lights are set up to notify the driver of a burnt out bulb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts