Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Black '07 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First I want to say this forum has been awesome and thank you to everyone that has responded and helped out to my previous issues. With that being said, I have been noticing an odd sound come from the drivers side wheel. This has been happening for some time now, but I have just been trying to deny that the sound and feel was actually there. So I'll try and make this short. A couple months ago I got into my car in a parking lot and didn't realize there was that little concrete block thing in front of this particular parking spot, So I took off kind of fast and my front two tires went over it and made a pretty loud noise and as the frame landed on the curb I'm guessing. So ever since then whenever I go over a little bump or pot hole in the road, my driver side up by the wheel makes this like clunking noise and you can feel it just drop. And normally this car was smooth as hell on the road and now, I can feel every bump in the road. I know it's not normal cuz the passenger side never does it and it rides smoothly over a bump and doesn't make a noise either. I'm pretty sure I effed something up cuz it starting happening ever since I drove over that parking curb. I also tested going over bums just on the driver side and the passenger side and you can tell a huge difference. And also the title of the post is wrong. It can be a little bump, not just a big one.

I'm just hoping someone can give me some insight as to what I might of knocked loose or something. It kind of feels like the shock is bad? I really have no idea. I crawled under there and I couldn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary, but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
there could be two things causing that. The stabilazer bar rubber bushing may be worn, easy to find, pull the wheel off and look at the rubber bushing, If you see daylight around it, it's worn, try and pass some zip ties through there to test if the noise goes away.

The other thing may be the TSB:

front brakes creak when stopping. lower rear support are bushing, needs:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/06-03-08-008.pdf

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Cts
162 Posts
sounds like the sway bar bushings are shot. one easy way to tell is to jack the car up and lift the sway bar up and down( its best to do this as close to the bushings as possible) if there is any movement they need to be replaced. if its not this try the sway bar links at each end of the bar and do the same thing.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
2 Posts
Had a similar experience with running over a curb on the drivers side. Finally a new strut solved the problem.

·
Registered
'04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
165 Posts
This issue drove me crazy for over a year on the car. The dealer (under warranty) replaced struts, control arm, sway bar with no luck. It finally turned out that the sound was coming from the brake pads rattling. Replaced the pads, problem solved. It was very frustrating that such a simple fix was consistently overlooked.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Cts
162 Posts
This issue drove me crazy for over a year on the car. The dealer (under warranty) replaced struts, control arm, sway bar with no luck. It finally turned out that the sound was coming from the brake pads rattling. Replaced the pads, problem solved. It was very frustrating that such a simple fix was consistently overlooked.
wow thats a new one, ive never heard of brake pads rattling. I wouldnt call this an easy fix, i mean sure the fix was easy but finding that as the problem is by no means easy, because that is probably something I would never have checked.

·
Registered
Black '07 CTS
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey haven't been around here in awhile. I thought I would update this post. Took it in to the dealer and they replaced my strut mounts and WOW what a difference. Its like night and day! Car is finally Caddy smooth now!

·
Registered
2006 CTS
57 Posts
I think I've the same problem with my 2006 CTS 2.8. My dealer said it was the front stabilizers. It was replaced then but the sound was worse ever since!
Now its more of a knocking noise coming from the front to the driver side. With normal driving I cant hear it, but I'm driving on uneven surface or bad asphalt roads where its uneven or broken the sound is so bad. It sound like a metal touching each other and @times its a knocking sound.

I'm attaching an images of the front suspension system, can someone tell me which are the struts and mounts please.

Attachments

·
Registered
cts 3.6
25 Posts
It could be the No. 23 rattling.

The sway bar downlinks.

Easy to replace.
Did them the other day, don't even need to take the wheels off or jack it up.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
57 Posts
Casper thanks for your help

That was the part that was replaced! I don't know what they were called, but my dealer mechanic said its the front stabilizer!

still the sound is there & worse :bigroll:

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Do this:

Open the hood of your car.

Now you see the nice Volant intake? Above that, you see the screws and the black cap?

What you do is remove the black cap, and you'll see the strut. Hold onto that metal piece and either rock the car up and down, or have a friend do it. See if you feel anything abnormal, like a popping, etc. Do the other side the same way. This'll let you know if either the strut or strut mount are shot. However, this doesn't specifically let you know WHICH, so you'd still most likely have to pull everything apart and look at the actual struts, etc.

I had to replace a strut not too long ago while driving on my stock 16s in NYC.... On 16s.... Imagine 20s... lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey all,

First I want to say this forum has been awesome and thank you to everyone that has responded and helped out to my previous issues. With that being said, I have been noticing an odd sound come from the drivers side wheel. This has been happening for some time now, but I have just been trying to deny that the sound and feel was actually there. So I'll try and make this short. A couple months ago I got into my car in a parking lot and didn't realize there was that little concrete block thing in front of this particular parking spot, So I took off kind of fast and my front two tires went over it and made a pretty loud noise and as the frame landed on the curb I'm guessing. So ever since then whenever I go over a little bump or pot hole in the road, my driver side up by the wheel makes this like clunking noise and you can feel it just drop. And normally this car was smooth as hell on the road and now, I can feel every bump in the road. I know it's not normal cuz the passenger side never does it and it rides smoothly over a bump and doesn't make a noise either. I'm pretty sure I effed something up cuz it starting happening ever since I drove over that parking curb. I also tested going over bums just on the driver side and the passenger side and you can tell a huge difference. And also the title of the post is wrong. It can be a little bump, not just a big one.

I'm just hoping someone can give me some insight as to what I might of knocked loose or something. It kind of feels like the shock is bad? I really have no idea. I crawled under there and I couldn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary, but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Front from shocks and bushing are bad

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,325 Posts
The member to whom you just replied has not logged in for 8 years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also had this problem a couple months ago. Thought maybe it was stabilizer bar or struts. They seemed fine, looked around some more and found that one of the two bolts that hold the brake caliper on was missing. Put new bolt in and all was good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts