Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
I looked at one of those Grand Marquis Brougham coupes back in 1975 at our local Ford dealership ... I really wanted my dad to buy it.

Funny, exact same colour, plus, it was the first car I'd ever seen that came with Quadraphonic 8 track sound on board.

Nice find.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Nice! Almost as cool as a Continental, but not quite. You should replace Ducky with it. :D

·
Registered
2004 Pontiac GXP
107 Posts
Looks nice. Always liked those big Marquis. Didnä't drive worth a damn, but they were certainly nice to look at.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
As they say "A poor man's Lincoln Towncar." In the used car market why not just buy the real thing!

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
So, Jesda, do you just cruise the bargain lots when you're bored?

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I would completely love to own and drive that Marquis Grande Coupe'. :) What a car!

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
I like it. It probably drives exactly like it looks like it would, or worse, but it's still a cool old car I think.

I know where one of these is sitting. Hidden on a old car lot about 20 miles from here. I think it's an '85 Grand Marquis coupe. I strangely like it. Looks just like this with tan cloth interior.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Damn those Riverias are ugly. Outstyled and outclassed by it's internal competition (Eldorado and Toronado), those things didn't have anything going for them. The last gen got even uglier and was dominated in every aspect by the Eldo in my opinion, but at least it was supercharged that time around.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts
Damn those Riverias are ugly. Outstyled and outclassed by it's internal competition (Eldorado and Toronado), those things didn't have anything going for them. The last gen got even uglier and was dominated in every aspect by the Eldo in my opinion, but at least it was supercharged that time around.
I love the last gen Riviera. Such a good looking car. I searched high and low for one when I was car shopping, but kept finding them either beat up or way out of my price range.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
As someone who has owned both -- except for the powertrain (some would disagree), the Bose stereo (again, some would disagree as at least the Riv could be upgraded easily), and the Zebrano wood, the last gen Riv was IMO a far superior automobile in almost every way compared to the Eldo. It was larger, had more interior room, more comfortable seating, much stronger body structure, and in my experience -- much more reliable.

Looks are subjective -- I like both -- probably like the Riv better as it was more unique. The ETC has a tighter suspension, but it also costs $4000 to replace -- so again which is better?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yeah, like you said, it's all subjective. I just can't get over the Rivs styling, particularly in the rear. Spaceship looking.

I can't speak for the last gen as I never owned any of them. But for the previous gen as pictured, I did always have a soft spot for the other k-body variants, the Trofeo and Eldo. Out of the three, the Riv was the only one that never caught on for me. I never liked it from day one.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Oh, no, as far as the looks of the ones you pictured, the Toro wins hands down. Those Eldos were just too small looking and the Riv was too feminine looking (however, it did channel the '79-85 in a more modern way...).

The looks I was talking about were the last gen of Riv and Eldo.

·
Registered
a blue one
21 Posts
As someone who has owned both -- except for the powertrain (some would disagree), the Bose stereo (again, some would disagree as at least the Riv could be upgraded easily), and the Zebrano wood, the last gen Riv was IMO a far superior automobile in almost every way compared to the Eldo. It was larger, had more interior room, more comfortable seating, much stronger body structure, and in my experience -- much more reliable.

Looks are subjective -- I like both -- probably like the Riv better as it was more unique. The ETC has a tighter suspension, but it also costs $4000 to replace -- so again which is better?
Personally I'd prefer the one that doesn't look ugly as sin. That said, I like the way the Eldo's drive and handle, and the interiors impress me more.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I have tried to like the last generation Riviera, but somehow have never been able to bring myself to like it, despite it's optional supercharger. To be honest rather than voluptuos looking, the Riv's length and curves remind me of a giant turd!

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
The Eldorado should be the more impressive car for the money. I actually like all 3 cars in select generations. I nearly bought a '92 Olds Toronado that I really liked. It was burgundy on burgundy with the full digital dash. I always like the hideaway headlights on the Toro too. But, between the last generations of Riviera and Eldorado, I think the Eldo wins. The Riv is a good looking car, and one that I wouldn't mind owning especially in S/C form, but the Eldorado just has classic lines that are distinctively Cadillac. Most people don't see a well cared for last gen Eldorado and automatically go "that's a '90s car."

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
It's like they tried too hard to fit into that rounded, bulging jelly bean look of the '90's.

Every single edge is excessively rolled and curved. There's no such thing as a true body line on those cars.

With the massive rounded hood with the narrow/thin grill and widely spaced headlights, it looks like it has Down's Syndrome!

Agreeing with the comment above, unlike the last Eldo body style which debuted back in '92 and still fits in, this car screams "I'm from the '90's

1 - 20 of 83 Posts