Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Virginia International Raceway was celebrating it's 50th anniversary this past weekend with Vintage races. Since a buddy and I spent two months rebuilding and restoring his vintage formula car for the car show there, in anticipation of him racing it soon, I couldn't pass up hanging around vintage race cars doing what they were built to do. I did see two unfortunate wrecks, including a '65 Shelby Mustang that got off the track and rolled, totaling it (ouch). The Allards were cool (Cadillac V8 motors in an old cigar shaped car) and loud. There were too many awesome cars to even describe, but I figured since this is a CTS forum, I'd like to share some related pictures.

I donated to the American Red Cross and was given (along with many other folks) five laps on the track between warmups and the actual races. We were kept to under 80mph by a pace car but what a blast. Here they are:

In line for some slow speed track time. Notice the '57 Corvette, and a reproduction Cobra Daytona Coupe. A Z06 was directly in front of me, and was a blast to follow. I was very pleasantly surprised how the lowered FE4 suspended CTS handled and accelerated on the track, when at the correct RPM and gear. I brought a few friends who videotaped the trip. What a blast.

Here's the Nav with tracking turned on.

The CTS in the paddock area after the races. It was emptying out, but was previously full of over 300 vintage race cars and unbelievable trailers. My buddy said 'if you ever want to be humbled . . . hang out at the paddock at a vintage race event'. Boy was I humbled at how much $$$$ folks have for a cool hobby.

I was standing right next to the pace car (a CTS-V) near the pit exit, and I looked in the window. I was blown away when I recognized the old man who was sitting inside. Here he is getting out.

And if you can't guess, here he is in one of his own legendary creations, getting ready to take a lap around the track, in which he won the inaugural race in 1957 in a Maserati.

It was an incredibly memorable weekend.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He looks a lot like Carol Shelby and one of his Cobras!!:)
None other than the lanky Texan himself! He was the grand marshal. He's getting pretty old and won't be around much longer. He's been a life-long idol of mine. It was an unbelievable stroke of luck to see him up close, although I didn't get to actually meet him, or have him sign my shirt. There were quite a few Fords racing that had his signature on the dash this weekend!

I've got hundreds more pics (not CTS related) and about 10 minutes of video from the passenger side as we were driving around the track. The video makes it look like we were going much slower than we were. My friend’s wife was in the back and kept making panic sounds when I revved to 6000, and speed shifted into third out of the turns onto the long straights. I got to practice my rusty heel-toe downshifts, and get into the groove again with my lines into and out of each turn. It's much easier when there's lots of rubber laid down to show you the apex on an off camber decreasing radius turn! I would have loved to have been able to drive at 80 or 90%, just to see what the car can do. Oh well, it was still one of the most thrilling weekends in a very long time.

I was also totally impressed by how fast (and how much noise) a 1500 lb bug-eye Sprite with a 948cc four cylinder engine can get around a track!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
None other than the lanky Texan himself! He was the grand marshal. He's getting pretty old and won't be around much longer. He's been a life-long idol of mine. It was an unbelievable stroke of luck to see him up close, although I didn't get to actually meet him, or have him sign my shirt. There were quite a few Fords racing that had his signature on the dash this weekend!

I've got hundreds more pics (not CTS related) and about 10 minutes of video from the passenger side as we were driving around the track. The video makes it look like we were going much slower than we were. My friend’s wife was in the back and kept making panic sounds when I revved to 6000, and speed shifted into third out of the turns onto the long straights. I got to practice my rusty heel-toe downshifts, and get into the groove again with my lines into and out of each turn. It's much easier when there's lots of rubber laid down to show you the apex on an off camber decreasing radius turn! I would have loved to have been able to drive at 80 or 90%, just to see what the car can do. Oh well, it was still one of the most thrilling weekends in a very long time.

I was also totally impressed by how fast (and how much noise) a 1500 lb bug-eye Sprite with a 948cc four cylinder engine can get around a track!
Great Memory Ody!! Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
i'm very jealous -- meetng Mr. SHElby and driving along side an old school cobra is something i've wanted to do since i foudn out about em.

congrats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts