Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new here. Long time Cadillac lover, hopefully soon to be owner.

When the 2008 STS came out I absolutely fell in love. Until now I can finally afford one (used of course). So here is my dilemma. Currently in the market for a luxury sedan. My top 3 picks are 2008 MB E350,2008 BMW 528i, and finally the STS. my Budget is around 15000. I currently found a used STS V6 near me with 54xxxx Miles priced at $14000. I have found E350's and 528i's around the same price with considerable more mileage.

Here is where I need advice. I am not familiar at all with these vehicles. I've read a lot and have had GM vehicles my whole life, trucks mostly leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
I know this is a Cadillac forum so I hope answers are not totally biased. I'm just looking for experienced answers and opinions. Am I walking into a money pit here? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac XTS, Former 09 STS and 07 CTS
222 Posts
I have my STS v6 for 6 months now and I am very happy as well, the v6 still has plenty of power they borrowed the engine from a Camaro, it should have DI if memory serves since it is a 08.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Still has no torque in comparison to the V8 even in 08 and still has less horsepower too.

Anyways that is not the main reason I would avoid the V6. The timing chain failure issue is way too common for me to ever want to drive a V6. Not to mention the mileage difference is basically nonexistent.

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
KRSTS said:
Not common at all in the 2008+ V6 DI engine.
Sure it's not...

That's why 08 is actually granted extended coverage for timing chain issues just like 07...

ANY 3.6 CAN DRINK OIL AND STRETCH TIMING CHAINS.

·
Registered
STS 3.6 DI Performance | ATS 2.0T
208 Posts
Unfortunately if you get the V6 STS I think you'll not be happy.
Not agree.

I own the car for 1 year, 100k on it no timing issues no oil consumption and any issues with that engine.
Right... less torque and HP but still 302HP which is enough. Usually you are limited by law to 80MPH? So there is no too much chance to put the car to the limit :) With CC set to 80MPH my V6 takes only 9.5 L/100 (sorry I don't MPG)
I'm not saying that V6 is better than V8 but I would not say that is the worst engine. If mileage grows and I have no issues with it then I can honestly say this is good engine.

Regarding to the question I have very simillar dillema :) But I was pointing to A6 and BMW.
As you know there is no 100% reliable cars. Car is just a machine made by human and human makes a mistakes :)

I compared maintenace and STS looks good. In here in UK the only problem is that I have to order parts in advance like filters etc and the problem is not their price but the bloody shipping cost :D
Whatever... Finally I decided to buy STS and yessss it's very very rare care in UK :p

I listed all issues I had since I bought that beauty ... and all of it I did myself. So...

- steering cooler fluid pipe - part cost £6 (used super duty hose instead alluminium pipe) and about 2h labour and works perfect todays
- wheel bearing (may be a not car fault but bad previous owner ?) - part cost Timken £110 (include shipping and import cost) 2-3 hrs labour
- tail light failed - seller paid for it, I had to order part and install - 30 minutes, I don't really know why LED stop works ...
- seat trim cracked - I found new one for 12 dollars and I'm going to buy it
- i have weak TPM sensor battery, sometimes computer cannot catch signal from the sensor and throw tyre issue on dashboard usually when temperature is lower than 5 celsius

Except this all is fine, ride very well and makes me happy owner.
As you see nothing serious except steering fluid leaks

I think all these cars are great.
STS I think is cheap to maintenace in US/CA comapre to imported cars.

This choice is alse depends on our preferences.

So... try BMW, Merc and STS take them to test drive and buy one :)

Hope this help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts