Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have no cold air blowing out my air condition. The clutch is not engaging and does not spin. I may also have a huge leak because it is not holding pressure. When I check the meter it says 0. I recharged it and it leaked out immediately. I used UV dye and found no leaks though. I see the previous owner taped up
what i think is the a/c refrigerant switch. Could there be a leak by the switch? Should I also try changing out the clutch relay.
Also could not find the orifice tube to check for debris. I have a 02 seville sts. Could anyone tell me where the orifice tube is located and how to change that and the a/c refrigerant switch.

thanks

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If it is leaking that bad the leak shpuld be easy to find. Could be evap if you can't find it somewhere else. Changing just the clutch will not fix the issue if there is a leak somewhere.
I will assume you are using "can o freon with gauge" and those are waste of time and money.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,489 Posts
Orifice tube is just in front of the underhood fuse box - the section near the filter/dryer with two connector sleeve nuts.

Massive ??? leak must be repaired before anything else is attempted. With that Leak rate you'll need to clean and repair, evacuate and recharge - refrigerant AND PAG oil. You're in the hands of a good A/C shop.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,788 Posts
Here are a couple of wider views.

Orifice tube is #6 in this view.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys. I do not have a good shop. Lady here doing it on her own. I do know something about fixing cars though. I was able to find the orifice tube near the high side port just in front of the fuse box as one gentleman said. And the pictures were awsome thanks a lot. I will replace the tube, receiver dryer, and compressor, and vacuum, pag oil, and recharge. I hope that works. I did dye test and saw no leaks. What is a good manifold gauge set to use?

·
Super Moderator
86,788 Posts
I use a Master Cool gauge set, but there are cheaper ones. Just be aware that cheaper ones like from Harbor Freight may have metric threads and thus be hard to get replacement hoses and fittings for if needed.

Seems like you are replacing a lot of parts to find a leak. Why not put a dye in it, recharge it, locate and fix the leak. Why use artillery to kill a gopher when a rifle will due.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a Master Cool gauge set, but there are cheaper ones. Just be aware that cheaper ones like from Harbor Freight may have metric threads and thus be hard to get replacement hoses and fittings for if needed.

Seems like you are replacing a lot of parts to find a leak. Why not put a dye in it, recharge it, locate and fix the leak. Why use artillery to kill a gopher when a rifle will due.
Hi, I did put dye in it and recharged. No leaks and it did not hold the charge. NO pressure at all. Master
cool gauge set... I will try that one thanks.

·
Super Moderator
86,788 Posts
Wait a minute. If you recharged the system and there is now no pressure, you have a leak. It's that simple.
Now there is the possibility that you only think you recharged the system.
When low on refrigerant, the PCM will disable the compressor to prevent damage. You MUST clear the low refrigerant code in order to enable the compressor so it will draw in refrigerant.
If you didn't, the compressor never engaged and you never added any refrigerant.

There is also the possibility that the leak is in the evaporator, which is out of sight, or the backside of the condenser, where you'll never see the dye. You'd need a sniffer for that.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
While not exactly the same case, I recently had to charge the A/C on one of my cars, which had been opened up after a previous engine swap. It was so low, I had no cold air whatsoever and strangely no codes either? I cleared them anyway, but was suprised not to see the "low refrigirant" message that I've seen on other cars in the past.

But as soon as I connected a can of R134A and opened up the valve on the hose, (with the engine running, a/c on) the compressor kicked in and began to take a charge. It took two small cans before the cheap guage on the hose registered "full" @ 35-40 psi with the clutch engaged and the a/c is nice and cold now.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ranger......I think you may be right. I took it to a mechanic and friend. He recharged it again and it blowed cool for a little while. We both listened and heard a hissing noise in the front left. A leak may be behind the condenser like you said. Tomorrow he is going to get the sniffer and see. I'm so glad you guys are helping me narrow down the issue. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
2001 SLS
23 Posts
I also had a leak on my 2001 seville i had my my car for about a year and half now and a/c never worked i charged it at work and it last for about a day i work at a collision shop so we have an expensive a/c machine and it passed leak test but still leaked out somewhere i never bother to try the dye to find the leak i just left it as is until recently i discovered Red Angel A/C stop leak $40 at Oreillys just put it in the low side then recharged the a/c again it been works for 2 days straight now. just something to think about if you want to go that route

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I also had a leak on my 2001 seville i had my my car for about a year and half now and a/c never worked i charged it at work and it last for about a day i work at a collision shop so we have an expensive a/c machine and it passed leak test but still leaked out somewhere i never bother to try the dye to find the leak i just left it as is until recently i discovered Red Angel A/C stop leak $40 at Oreillys just put it in the low side then recharged the a/c again it been works for 2 days straight now. just something to think about if you want to go that route
Do not use stop leaks as the tend to cause more issues than they fix.

·
Super Moderator
86,788 Posts
:shocked2: Stop leak in a refrigeration system? :tisk:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally found the leak. It was hose in the low pressure line at bottom in front of condense. Changing line tube and drier. Anyone know which way the arrow goes when I put in the orifice tube. Don't know flow of refrigerant.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Submariner......does the tube arrow face the same way as arrow in your attachment?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts