Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood,98 Deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My' 98 Deville went low on refrigerant so put in 3 cans of 134A last nite . It was cooling well but not up to usual. This morning it tells me my refrigerant in low again and has no cooling at all?? I don't know where to looks first. The compressor was replaced 2 years ago. Apparently the 134A leaked out last night. Where is the most "likely" place to start looking for my problem. I am a fair mechanic on easy stuff but I am stumped. Any ideas where I should start would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Not sure there is a "most likely" place to look, but if it leaked out overnight, the leak must be fairly large. Check all the connections for an oily residue, especially the parts that where recently replaced. If the compressor was a cheap aftermarket replacement, that's the first place I'd check.

If you don't find anything, you may have to add more R134a WITH a dye in it, or take it to a shop and have them use a sniffer to find the leak.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood,98 Deville
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure there is a "most likely" place to look, but if it leaked out overnight, the leak must be fairly large. Check all the connections for an oily residue, especially the parts that where recently replaced. If the compressor was a cheap aftermarket replacement, that's the first place I'd check.

If you don't find anything, you may have to add more R134a WITH a dye in it, or take it to a shop and have them use a sniffer to find the leak.
I was told I would need a separate hose to put the dye in??that the dye would have some type of sealant-glue? Will this affect the system if I just tried a gasket sealer here?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
You do need a special injector to add dye, but you can get cans of R134a with a dye (NO sealant). You will obviously waste the refrigerant, but should find the leak.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,495 Posts
I would check the connections on the compressor first. I know on the RWD Fleetwoods where a single bolt holds the hose connections the bolt can work loose from engine vibration. It doesn't take much of a leak and pffft it's gone. I use Nylog sealant and silicone seals.

I agree with Ranger on the dye use. You can pick up a cheap detector off of eBay or amazon.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,038 Posts
Use dye to find it

Common big leaks
  • blown print
  • blown Schrader valve
  • rock in the condensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts