Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Cadillac Seville SLS 177,xxx miles

i bought the car last year and the a/c never worked when i bought it the heat works so now i want to fix the a/c issue

i work in a autbody shop and last week i hook car up to our a/c machine it passed the leak test and i filled the freon lbs to 2.2 lbs and the a/c worked great for about a week and half the passenger side was a bit colder than the driver side and i was gonna address that issue later but now the a/c completely stop working again. So if it passed the leak test and worked for about a week and half what should i check next?

·
Registered
2001 SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok when i go back to work tomorrow i will hook it back up and post the pressure readings i doubt anything leaked but i will check and see

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,433 Posts
My money is on a leak that is not being detected. Evaporator leaks are difficult to find simply because of their location.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
140 Posts
Yep, most likely a leak not detected by vacuum loss detection (a little redundant, but for some reason I can't find a better way to put it lol). I've seen this with broken lines, but they didn't last a week (not even a minute, but held the vacuum well). Maybe compressor lip seal, closes enough for vacuum, but opens up under pressure. Not sure, what I'd do is add some leak detector and fill it up. Work the system for a couple of days and check if you find a leak. If not you might want to sniff for it, if you have access to this tool... A week is quite short, that leak should be detectable. Just to throw this out there, a evaporator leak most of the times comes with a smelly a/c at startup, the leaking oil has a unique odor to it, I always compare it to driving by a caddle farm...

·
Registered
2001 SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the help i didn't get a chance to hook it back up to the a/c machine yesterday to check the pressure mondays always busy at work but i will try to do it today at lunch. If i can't find the leak after trying a leak detector i will just live without a/c i don't plan on keeping the car forever got it at a great price and previously owner didn't take to good of care of it body wise (its starting to rust on quater panel)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts