Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went out to my uncles house out in Murrietta CA where it is about 101-108 degrees out, almost arriving there my a/c starts to get warm and moist feeling. The a/c then came back and got mild cool until we got there. After being there for about 4-5 hours we left. While driving back home with the a/c on (that is not cold at all) , I hear a big swueal from under the hood and the a/c went really warm. I have an 03 CTS, can someone please help me? Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i would try recharging it first, but your compressor may have just went on ya

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah! i think it sounded pretty bad, would it still blow air but just not cold air? do you know how much that would cost ? Ah this sucks im driving to vegas next month! I NEED A/C! haha

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
well if you need a new compressor, i believe somebody else is having this same problem if you do a search on here...the thread is on the 1st page of the forum...anyways, i believe he said that the dealer told him $1400, but i could be mistaken...

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
you could always get a used one for way cheaper...but rememeber, it would be used...might last forever, may last you a year...if you are interested in that option, then go to www.car-part.com

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you, I am def. going to charge it then see if it works hopefully it does.. it doesnt squeel when i turn it on it just did it for a second then turned the a/c off and it stopped then turned it back on and no noise..

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Just to let you know, if the system lost the charge. Then the compressor will not turn on, due to the fact that there is nothing there to compress.

Follow the directions on the charge system that you buy from the store. Personally I would spend the extra $3.00 for the system that comes with the gauge on it. You'll see what I mean. Start the engine, and put the climate control on MAX A/C with the fan all the way on high. Then put the coupler on the a/c low pressure side. I don't know which one it is. But connections should be labled with an "L" for low and "H" for high. Either way, that coupler will only attach to the low side.

KOT

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are you saying that the compressor sounds like its done or is it just does it need to be charged.. ah so confused and broke this sucks!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
Also check your belt and your idler pulley. Make sure that's all in good shape. In my experience, I found body shops more willing to help than Goodyear or Midas. The body shops are trainind, have the equipt and are looking for work.

·
Registered
2015 CTS
151 Posts
i just got my compressor today used 51000 miles on it and it was still 250.00 plus shipping going to try to put it on today only three bolt i was told to remove the air bor and i should be able to get to it just prey fo me every place i called want 450.00 to 550.00 to install

·
Registered
2015 CTS
151 Posts
i got the new compressor in it's a bitch onlly three bolts thee two in the front are easy the one in the back is hell once you remove the air box you well see goto autozone.com they have instructions now i have to figure how the belt goes back on no diagram under the hood just one day it started blowing warm air and that was it the dealer charged me 99.00 to tell me my compressor was bad

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey sorry about that, did not remember that you sent that to me :X my bad! Ah how hard was that install? I would def try but I dont know much about cars would it be possible for an amature to do it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts