Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Air conditioner hasn't been working. Just blows out air. Can I use the 13$ walmart freeon can? Or should I bring it somewhere to be professionally done?

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS
3 Posts
I had mine gassed by a professional aircon guy. My car sailed through the usual vacuum tests, filled up normally, and we went our separate ways.

Trouble was, the system blew warm again within just 24 hours. So the guy returns, adds UV dye to the mix, and then leaves with an appointment to come back and see where it was leaking.

To cut a long story short, there was a pinhole on the weld that joins the upper and lower halves of the accumulator, meaning that the system simply wasn't able to hold charge. And it passed the vac test because the rubber shield that encases the accumulator was sucked back and blocked the hole :)

The weld on the GM genuine part was similarly scrappy, so therein lies a clue...

My advice would be to get the system looked at properly, because any aircon guy will be able to tell you if your system is leaking. That'll will save you the bother of multiple refills and wasted effort.

Hope that helps!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,112 Posts
:confused: What car? What year? What options? Turn the A/C on with the engine running. Do the cooling fan(s) come on in LOW? Does the A/C compressor clutch engage so that the whole assembly, instead of just the center pulley, spins? If the compressor won't engage, probably low freon is your first guess. If it DOES engage, something major.....When was the last time the system worked? Has it been in AUTO all winter/spring, and did the defroster work properly? A/C systems can be a bitch to troubleshoot, and most of us don't have the specialized tools to do the work........

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
More importantly, it also depends on whether your compressor is even working. Pull the codes and see if youve got a code for Low Refrigerant, if so, the compressor will not turn on until that code is cleared.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts