Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Eldorado 110,000 mi

I am having a problem that has been an issue for a good while. My A/C works excellent when I am driving more than say 15 mph. But at idle or moving in slow traffic. Its not putting out the cold air. Its cooling enough to keep you from sweating. But not much more. The sound of the amount of Air moving through the vents seems to be less during this idle period and is not as cool.

I have no issues under normal driving. The compressor, freon etc are fine. My electric fans are both working. Seems like maybe the head pressure is rising during idle. I have talked with my mechanic and he doesnt know exactly whats wrong.

So, here I am with my hat in hand asking for some help or advice

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hum, Ok Well this has been an issue since I had a new compressor, dryer installed a couple years back. My mechanic who happens to be one of the most trusted in my area has checked the freon and said it was fine.

I had the radiator flushed and new antifreeze done when it had 80,000 mi.

All this being said, what do I need to do? My temp runs normal mid range on the gauge in hot or warm temps.

After I get some input I will go to him with the issue and the suggestions and see what I can do.

So, any and all suggestions or advice are welcome. Just does not seem like the electric fans are moving enough air through the radiator at idle to me.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,986 Posts
Have you tried flushing the dead bugs and dirt collected over the years from the condenser fins?

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I just went out and check my coolant level. It took 1 quart or a little more to fill it after getting the engine up to normal operating temps. I used GM Dex'cool. Did not see much change, but its 90 today. Will get the freon checked on Tuesday. From there if nothing changes and it does not need freon. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ranger for that suggestion. I will do that also.

Now since I am not mechanically inclined, would you mind explaining this procedure LOL. Not sure where to look.

Ya Ya, I know the chuckles to those reading of my ignorance, but then again ignorance and stupidity are not the same LOL

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
The condenser coils and fins are forward of your radiator. There is also a smaller radiator in front of that on the lower driver's side which is the transmission oil cooler. Any of said radiators/condensers can get fowled from bugs and road debris that comes thru the grille of the car. You would have to remove the top plastic panel to get at them. What I've done on past cars (prior to plastic radiators) is taken them to a manual car wash and just sprayed in a downwards direction on the fins some soap time and then mostly rinse time using the wand. It made a huge difference in on the temperature gage for the coolant as well as the condenser's ability to loose heat. Don't do this when the car is hot.

·
Super Moderator
86,986 Posts
You can get away with a garden hose as well. Be carefull though. Those fins are just very thin aluminum and will bend very very easy so flush it, not power spray it. As Greg said, just open the hood and the condenser is right there staring at you.

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Followup:::

Ok, here is where I am now. I have checked and filled the coolant level to proper place ( took 1 quart)

I have checked and cleaned the condenser coils and fins

I had the freon checked today by my mechanic who did the AC work 3 yrs ago and it was perfect

Now to the issue that he and I have found this morning. The fans both are running when the AC is on. Every so often 1-2 mins the passenger fan will kick in to a higher speed for a minimal period, then drop back down

Question:
Is it possible that there is a weak relay that speeds up the fan? Is it possible to bypass the relay and have the AC fan on passenger side run at maximum speed anytime the AC is on?

I appreciate anyones knowledge and input here !!!

·
Super Moderator
86,986 Posts
I think both fans should run on high speed anytime the A/C is on if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ON ANOTHER NOTE??

Since the fan did go into a high speed mode for a moment then slowed again. Could this be a problem with one of the three relays that I am finding in the service manuels.

If so, does anyone know exactly where I need to look for these relays? I have checked all around under the hood and on the firewall with no success.

Help me out here if you can :banghead:

Ranger, thanks for the input. They arent. Strange as it may seem. When I am letting the car run at idle in the driveway, after I turn the AC off and the temp gauge has gone to its normal temp reading. Neither of the fans are running. I will admit that I did not watch this but 5 or 6 minutes. But it seemed strange to me that the cooling system was working that well especially in 90 deg heat.

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, Well I finally found the problem with trial and error.

Thank you for anyone who had input.

Problem turned out that the Recirculation Button was not functioning as I thought it did. Meaning that I was unaware that everytime you restart the car, you have to reset the switch/button. Age played a part in this as I dont see well and without my reading glasses on for small print or small lights on buttons and thought the light had always been on.
So that being said, I was not turning it on everytime. I can not believe that I have dealt with this issue for so long and it being so simple to resolve.

On another note, my mechanic who thinks he is a standup comedian says to me "Well hell, I thought you would have known that"
Then he laughed and said "You have no idea over the years how many times this has happened to other customers of mine"

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Recirculation Button ?
So what your sayin is not to have it set for outside air...But to have it set to recirculate the air in the cabin ??

·
Registered
'93 STS (sold), now looking for a CTS Wagon soon!!
503 Posts
I was wondering why my A/C was weak at idle........

I then had my blower fan motor die. I assumed it was on it's way out, causing the A/C air to be weak inside the cabin?

I then learned that my spark plug wires were in contact with the blower motor, at the firewall, killing the electric motor. I don't know if your car is set up as my '93 Northstar is?

I will be replacing my blower motor, and properly locate the plug wires this time!

Maybe check this out on your car?

·
Registered
Cadillac
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, Thats what I am saying. Its easier for the AC to cool the inside air as it recirculates than it is to use air from the outside that is 90 plus degrees. At least now since I figured this out I have not had any other AC issues.

I dont have any spark plug issues with my blower motor but thanks for the heads up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts