1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Seville sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1993 Cadillac Seville sts

i replaced the dryer compressor and orvice tube,also retro fitted to r34

i have evac the system from a harbor freight pump which i have returned because i dont think it worked

my problem is that when i filled the system first with oil that was ok the system took it

when i tried to fill the system with r34a the back of the compressor seals blew so i replaced those and tried again same thing leaked from the back of the compressor

did i not evac the system fully or is it a faulty compressor also when replacing the orvice tube there was a bunch of metal shavings all on the screen

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,285 Posts
Re: a/c leak 1993 Seville sts

i have a 1993 Cadillac Seville sts

i replaced the dryer compressor and orvice tube,also retro fitted to r34

i have evac the system from a harbor freight pump which i have returned because i dont think it worked

my problem is that when i filled the system first with oil that was ok the system took it

when i tried to fill the system with r34a the back of the compressor seals blew so i replaced those and tried again same thing leaked from the back of the compressor

did i not evac the system fully or is it a faulty compressor also when replacing the orvice tube there was a bunch of metal shavings all on the screen
-------------------------
when i tried to fill the system with r34a
the back of the compressor seals blew
so i replaced those and tried again
same thing leaked from the back of the compressor

I remember an article quite a while ago
talking about a problem with the compressor housing -

if I remember correctly - they were machined wrong -
and constantly blew the seals -

there is also an OVERPRESSURE VALVE on the compressor -
they too had lots of problems leaking -

what brand of compressor did you buy?
OEM or aftermarket - new - or rebuilt -
------------------
I assume you read the directions/warnings from BOTH the retro kit - and the new compressor -
and verified whether the compressor was shipped with or without oil in it -
and you properly removed the old R12 oil - and added the correct amount of R134a oil -
----------

when replacing the orvice tube
there was a bunch of metal shavings all on the screen

that's exactly why the screen is built into the orifice tube -
to prevent those metal shavings from getting to the compressor -

a small amount of shavings - and some "dirt" on the screen is not unusual -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts

If the screen was full of shavings the compressor failed. You should have replaced the compressor, condenser and accumulator and then flushed the rest of the system before recharging it. Did you do that?

You do not "fill the system with oil". You add the required amount to each component. How did you do it?

What type of oil did you use?

What kind of vacuum pump did you use?

How long did you let it run?

Did the system hold vacuum afterwards?

I assume you then added the refrigerant while the system was still under a vacuum?

·
Registered
1993 Seville sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yes i replaced everything i also used a can of pag 150 ........the system did hold vacuum and i let the pump run for 30 mins also the compressor was a rebuild and it is 4 seasons i also checked the threads on the bolts they were perfectly fine i think this compressor was a fail right out the box ..........and yes the system was flushed

----------

and the pump i used was a 2.5 cfm pump from harbor freight part number 98076

----------

no on the tag of the compressor says must add pag 150 oil

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,790 Posts

Is it possible that you had too much oil in the compressor and slugged it?

the compressor was a rebuild and it is 4 seasons
Or perhaps that's the problem?

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Shavings in O tube? Bad. Ur system is full of crud from compressor to condenser to o-tube. O tube acts a a good screen for crud. U need to replace condenser since it is not able to be flushed since it is parallel flow and solvent will just bypass the restriction. A serpentine condenser is usually able to be flushed but it is hard. So, ur condenser is contaminated with crud and whatever is in there is probably being blown down to the o- tube and plugging it. Take off ur o-tube and see if any more stuff is in there. Aftermarket condensers are actually pretty cheap online. I have seen them for $40 mailed. Remove condenser. Flush line from condenser to o-tube or o- tube will just get plugged again. If it does u need to evac freon so u can check/clean o-tube which is a pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts