Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my new 06 SRX V6 and the only defect is that on a long trip. Water drips on my foot especially when turning. The dealer burned $15 of my gas trying to duplicate it and couldn't. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
My friend had similar problem with his Cad Deville; his initial indication was some loss of coolent, was told probable bad coolent pressure cap; replacement cap did not solve!!
After several visits & showing some stains on a white towel over the carpet placed to catch the drip, the tech found a leak in the heater coil - remove & replace (last week) with new heater coil solved his problem (so far).

·
Registered
2012 SRX Lux; 2013 XTS Lux
116 Posts
Sounds like a clogged air conditioning condensation drain line to me. I had an identical problem with a Lincoln MK VII, and the drain had to be cleaned /opened up every few months (humid weather year-round in Hawaii).
Never had the exact problem with a Cadillac, but earlier this summer the SRX A/C would put out a stink upon startup; I suspect the same situation, just not enough condensation water built up to overflow. At that time, I was not getting the condensation drip under the car. Once the condensation started to flow properly, under the vehicle, no more stink! Now live on the Mainland in a much drier climate; the problem, of course, is more prevalent in humid climates. Going on a long trip will allow for fluid buildup and overflow, as you experienced.
Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I have this same exact problem too! I am shocked they would burn so much of your gas. Did you ask them to replace it?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
There are ways to water test the case without driving it all day.
You have one of two problems.
One could be a small leak in the housing, not impossible for that design because of the way the case is put together, but probably not the most likely.
The case is not insulated and on a long trip with the system cooling you can get condensation on the outside of the HVAC case itself. The condensate could be accumulating enough to drip over by your foot area, also the TXV (expansion valve) for the A/C system is directly above your foot several inches, it's wrapped in a special tape to help prevent condensation from dripping but it could be accumulating enough moisture to leak out onto your foot. I guess that's 3 technically.

The trick would be to get the water dripping and then look up there or take it to your dealer while it's doing it. Hard to do I know but at least then you are burning your own gas.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys but ewill3rd I think is correct and what I suspected although I didn't know what was condensating there. It wasn't coolant and the drain tube was clear and I agree that there's no leak. I only drive a couple of long trips a year so it may not be worth fixing. Sheepdog1

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,144 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post the solution. It is caused by a condensation forming on a cold AC line that runs just above the gas pedal. So it will only happen after driving an hour or more. It is considered "normal" and there is nothing to fix. I have to say it is an interesting experience if you are driving in sandals!!! :)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,510 Posts
Is there room to install a length of pipe insulation (split foam tube) available at any hardware store ?

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,144 Posts
I had the same thought when it happened to me, but wonder if it is worth the effort. It is pretty rare occurrence unless you do a lot of long distance driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts