Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
2,003 Posts
Yes, you can replace the clutch and pulley, but it isn't easy. This is why it's rarely done...and besides, are you sure the problem is with the clutch? From what I've read here, i'm not so sure.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
3 Posts
I did that to a 95 Chevy Caprice, and it worked fine. Didn't have AC, which sucked, because it gets hot in the summer where I live. I did the bypass pully instead of fixing the car because at the time I was a single father raising my young son with no involvement from his mother and trying to finish my masters degree with a pretty low income. This was in 2007. I just plain couldn't afford to get it repaired, and the car was old and had 200,000 miles on it. After I finished school, I got a good paying teaching job and bought a new car. If the OP can't afford to fix the AC, then there's nothing wrong with using a bypass pulley to hold him over till he can afford a new car or the repair on the old one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did that to a 95 Chevy Caprice, and it worked fine. Didn't have AC, which sucked, because it gets hot in the summer where I live. I did the bypass pully instead of fixing the car because at the time I was a single father raising my young son with no involvement from his mother and trying to finish my masters degree with a pretty low income. This was in 2007. I just plain couldn't afford to get it repaired, and the car was old and had 200,000 miles on it. After I finished school, I got a good paying teaching job and bought a new car. If the OP can't afford to fix the AC, then there's nothing wrong with using a bypass pulley to hold him over till he can afford a new car or the repair on the old one.
yeah. what he said +1

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
549 Posts
Sounds like maybe it's just your clutch. You can replace it or adj the air gap with an inexpensive tool. Often without removing the compressor. For twenty bucks it may be worth a shot.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
294 Posts
I normally try not to discourage anyone from trying to do something themselves, but, because of the type of questions you ask and the pics you posted and knowing your age I suggest (again) that you take this to a good automotive a/c mechanic to fix this. It will not be cheap however you do it. You do not have the tools or experience to do this job solo. A bad a/c clutch shouldn't shred the belt but a failed compressor would. To replace the compressor you need to evacuate the system and reclaim the refrigerant(special tools), flush out the system (more special tools) change out the compressor and clutch, receiver/dryer and orifice tube. Then you need to put the system under vacuum (more special tools) and verify no leaks. Almost forgot, now you need to change out the p/s pully (more special tools and adjustments) Now you're ready to charge the system with the correct amounts of refrigerant and oil (more tools). It's an involved process. You haven't been able to get the tensioner on correctly with two or three guys telling you how (it's really hard to explain some of these things without being there).
Please don't misunderstand my intent here. Do I think you're incapable of learning how to do these things? NO! Do I think that you could waste a lot of time and money trying to do this, not get it fixed and maybe mess something else up? Yes, I do.
What I don't want to see is a young person with a nice car and the will to learn take on a project of this magnitude and fail, becoming discouraged and losing interest and giving up.
What I do want to see is a young person learning how to take care of themselves and their car, but I believe you need to start with a little less complicated project.
If money is of no concern (none of my business) then by all means do some research, rent some tools and dive in!
Again, PLEASE don't take this as a put down or me trying to be disrespectful, because I'm not. I am being blunt and to the point.

·
1995 Deville 4.9
1995 Sedan DeVILLE 4.9
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I normally try not to discourage anyone from trying to do something themselves, but, because of the type of questions you ask and the pics you posted and knowing your age I suggest (again) that you take this to a good automotive a/c mechanic to fix this. It will not be cheap however you do it. You do not have the tools or experience to do this job solo. A bad a/c clutch shouldn't shred the belt but a failed compressor would. To replace the compressor you need to evacuate the system and reclaim the refrigerant(special tools), flush out the system (more special tools) change out the compressor and clutch, receiver/dryer and orifice tube. Then you need to put the system under vacuum (more special tools) and verify no leaks. Almost forgot, now you need to change out the p/s pully (more special tools and adjustments) Now you're ready to charge the system with the correct amounts of refrigerant and oil (more tools). It's an involved process. You haven't been able to get the tensioner on correctly with two or three guys telling you how (it's really hard to explain some of these things without being there).
Please don't misunderstand my intent here. Do I think you're incapable of learning how to do these things? NO! Do I think that you could waste a lot of time and money trying to do this, not get it fixed and maybe mess something else up? Yes, I do.
What I don't want to see is a young person with a nice car and the will to learn take on a project of this magnitude and fail, becoming discouraged and losing interest and giving up.
What I do want to see is a young person learning how to take care of themselves and their car, but I believe you need to start with a little less complicated project.
If money is of no concern (none of my business) then by all means do some research, rent some tools and dive in!
Again, PLEASE don't take this as a put down or me trying to be disrespectful, because I'm not. I am being blunt and to the point.
i completely understand, i do not know anything about the car and how to fix it. im better off probably buying the parts it needs and having the auto mech. put them in.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
294 Posts
Be careful and talk to the mechanic before you buy parts. First off to be sure you get the right stuff, second to make sure he'll put them on for you. Some mechanics will use 'customer supplied parts', some won't. Just don't expect him to replace them again for free if they fail. They'll warranty their work, just not your parts. Good luck, my friend, keep us posted.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts