Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1988 d'Elegance has a really weird problem! When I turn on the A/C, it will cool fine. But if I leave it on too long (about 5 - 7 minutes), it will start blowing hot and no matter what I do, I can't restore cooling! The next day it will blow cool again.

I can sustain cooling almost indefinitely by shutting it off about every 4 - 5 minutes for a minute or more! But, if I let it blow too long, it will suddenly start blowing hot as described above. I suspect the climate control module has just gone south; but I am wondering if anyone else has gotten this before?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Have the system's freon pressures tested. I'm thinking the evaporator in the dash is freezing over, covering it with a sheet of ice!. Turned off, the ice melts and cooling resumes. Usually an expansion valve or orfice restriction will cause this. I would also think you would see alot of condensation water draining from under the car when the system is shut off. All that melted ice has to drain somewhere.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Have the system's freon pressures tested. I'm thinking the evaporator in the dash is freezing over, covering it with a sheet of ice!. Turned off, the ice melts and cooling resumes. Usually an expansion valve or orfice restriction will cause this. I would also think you would see alot of condensation water draining from under the car when the system is shut off. All that melted ice has to drain somewhere.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sorry for the double post! Another item to check is to remove the glove box liner and you will see a metal rod connected to the blend door flap retainer. Change your temperature display from 60 degrees to 90 degrees (engine running) and the rod should move from blend door closed (60 degrees) to blend door open (90 degrees) in a nice slow smooth swing. If the rod is jerky or does not go the full distance then the climate control module is faulty or the rod is bound up on wiring, etc. If at 60 degrees, the blend door is still not fully closed, then you can release the threaded end of the rod from its retainer, push the retainer to the closed position and snap the rod back into the retainer. The little electric motor within the module can fail because most people use the climate system like a manual system in a Chevy! In other words, changing the temp. display drastically from 60 in the summer to 90 in the winter! If set at say 72 to 75 degrees and left alone there is much less strain on this little motor when the system works automatically. Also, PLEASE list the year and type of car in your signature or profile. Then each time you post we know what car you are referring too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts