Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 deville, 1983 fleetwood
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a horrible noise the other day and decided to investigate. i removed the serpentine belt and rotated the pulleys to see which felt bad or made noise low and behold the ac compresser pulley is grinding and making aweful noise during idle. i could feel it when hand turning so i sprayed some grease in there to help relive the noise till i could decide what it was also not a good idea since it seems to burning off and smeels really bad. took it to local mechanic know for years and says it sounds like just the clutch in it is bad. how easy is it to replace the whole thing compressor and clutch my self is this a diy?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
Probably just the pulley bearing is bad and it is rubbing against the clutch plate. My wife's is making the same noise. I have the bearing on order and will rent the pullers from AZ. You do need some special tools. The other option is to replace the entire clutch assembly, buy you need a few more tool for that.

·
Registered
1994 deville, 1983 fleetwood
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so since i like to do these things myself would you recommend just getting bearings, or clutch or the whole comepressor with clutch already on it. also where can i get instructions on replacing bearings or just clutch from internet all i have is the hayens i know it junk and can get a helm yet wife making me wait till birthday.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
Wives are like that. Mine does the same thing. Just do a google search for "A/C Compressor Clutch" or "A/C Clutch bearing" or such. I found several good ones yesterday. The cheapest way to go would be the bearing if everything else is good. My wife's car is a '96 with 160K on it and is not worth putting a new compressor in it. That also would involve recovering the refrigerant and recharging it. The clutch or the bearing will not. The system won't have to be opened and I think it can be done on the car.

·
Registered
1998 STS
4 Posts
Hey Ranger, if I can add to this. I have a few questions. My 98 STS is making the same noise. I investigated this one day and noticed that when the A/C is on, there is no noise. When I turn my A/C off, the noise appears. It sounds like metal cans rolling around. It looks like when the A/C is off, the pully for the A/C unit creeps alittle. I'm not sure if this is normal or an indication that the clutch is not keeping it loose enough. Would you think this is the bearings or the clutch itself? Clutch is $100.00 and bearings are just $25.00. But if I have to take the clutch off to replace the bearings, I would rather just give her a new clutch all together. Is there more steps involved with the bearings, and what tools do you recommend? I'm tackling this issue as well as the leaky trunk. Figured out what in my trunk is leaking, now I have to fix this clutch so the noisy problem can go away. Any input you have would be greatful.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
Sounds like a clutch bearing. When I did my wifes AZ gave me the wrong tools and I had to go back. :mad: Once I got the hub off I realized that the bearing was good and the noise was from the clutch rubbing. Since I was unable to finish pulling it (still wrong tools) I just adjusted the gap, put it all back together and it is nice and quiet today. I forget exactly what you need. I think it is a hub puller and installer and a clutch puller and installer.

Yes, there are more steps with the bearing alone. I think it is peened in place so you have to grind down the peens, press it out and repeen it when you press the new one in. A whole new clutch is easier, though more expensive.

·
Registered
1998 STS
4 Posts
So it sounds like for your job, you didn't need any special tools. Maybe I can try the adjusting the gap first and see if that works. I can get under her for a nice working angle seeing how I purchased her a scissors lift for Christmas. So if I was to adjust the gap on mine, how is that done. I'm sure it starts with the nut on the outside. I have all the basic tools and then some. I really appreciate your help, the dealer charges around $200.00 an hour just to pull in the garage. Plus they have monkey mechanics. I like working on her myself so I know nothing gets abused. You guys rock for the help you provide in these forums. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,585 Posts
Oh yes I did. You won't get past the first spindle nut without special tools. In my case it was a scarping noise. Yours sounds like bad bearings. I forget the exact procedure. A FSM would be invaluable. I think the spindle nut came off first. Then I believe there is a snap ring. Then I had to clean the internal threads on the clutch to get the puller to thread. It was all rusty. I think I got stalled at the hub, which is where the bearing is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts