Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ELC
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All
My car, '98 Eldorado, gave me the "AC Off due to low refrigerant" sign recently. After trip to the shop where they checked and "found no loss of refrigerant" but the compressor will still not engage and we still have the "AC OFF light on. I'm told these cars have four sensors that control this instead of the customary one. The compressor can be "jump started" I'm told too."
Any ideas ??
Thanks,
RDH

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 2007 STS
298 Posts
try clearing the codes remove the message. I had the same thing happen on my 97. I don't know what caused it but I haven't had any problems since

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
I wouldn't suggest jumpering any sensors unless you know the problem is the sensor. The sensors turn off the compressor to prevent damage from occurring to this expensive part when there is a low refrigerant level. Clear the codes like was mentioned and then try to run the a/c compressor again.

Were you around when the refrigerant pressure was checked? Pressure should be checked with the a/c on high and the compressor running. If you had a code shutting off the compressor, I doubt the shop cleared the code to get the compressor to run. Without the compressor running, it will show high pressure because the refrigerant isn't circulating.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ELC
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
Success !!! Thanks to ej2000n my A/C is up and working again. I had my shop clear code as suggested and it worked. Thanks
Dick

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Question is, why did the code appear in the first place? Did the shop recheck your refrigerant pressure after the code was cleared? It may have been possible that your pressure was borderline low, just enough to trip the sensor. Keep an eye on it. If it trips again, you know your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts