Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmm: My caddy is a 97 deville with 96,xxx miles. The other day while driving a falshing warning came on my dashboard...."Low refrigerant"....."A/C compressor off". When I got home I pulled out my refill bottle which you buy at any auto-store and checked the psi on the system. Supposedly the gauge was supposed to read low, but it read warning on the can's gauge. I haven't had time to pull any coded since I haven't been home so I could't really post any codes I got from my car. I was thinking it might have been the a/c compressor that just went out, and I'll have to get another one, I really don't know since this is my first car. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Wicho said:
:hmm: My caddy is a 97 deville with 96,xxx miles. The other day while driving a falshing warning came on my dashboard...."Low refrigerant"....."A/C compressor off". When I got home I pulled out my refill bottle which you buy at any auto-store and checked the psi on the system. Supposedly the gauge was supposed to read low, but it read warning on the can's gauge. I haven't had time to pull any coded since I haven't been home so I could't really post any codes I got from my car. I was thinking it might have been the a/c compressor that just went out, and I'll have to get another one, I really don't know since this is my first car. Any help would be appreciated.
The compressor has to be running to get a correct reading on the gauge. If you hook it up while the compressor is stopped, there will be very high pressure on the low pressure side of the system, and that's why you are confused by the gauge reading. To get the compressor running, you'll have to clear the code for the low refrigerant and turn the AC on full blast maximum cold. After a minute or so of compressor operation, the pressures will be stabilized enough to get an accurate gauge reading.

That exercise is probably pointless, though. If it is detecting low refrigerant, it's probably because it really is low and you need to add some. If you have to add some, you need to find out where it's leaking. If you get a refill charge, get the stuff with the dye in it and use a black light to find out where the leak is. Unless you fix the leak, you will just be fighting this problem over and over again. If you look at the AC compressor clutch, my guess is you will see that the front side of the compressor behind the clutch is oily. If that's the case, the front seal on the compressor is probably shot and the compressor will need to be replaced to fix the problem. That's a lot of assumptions, though. Check it out with the UV dye and black light to be sure of the leak source.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts