Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado touring coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new compressor put in my 1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe. last year before I bought the car. The guy said the ac worked for about 3 months and then he sold the car to me. i got the message about the low refrigerant and a/c compressor off. Well I took it today to a friend of the family and he said the freon level is good. So i came home and found this site. So now I have looked up all the codes and reset the codes. Checked again and no new codes. But when I turn on the a/c all i hear is like a click, like the compressor is trying to come on, but all i get is super hot air. Any suggestions what i should try next? Thanks for any help..

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
The click you hear is likely the A/C clutch engaging. Watch the hub when someone turns it on and see if it engages and spins. If it does, the freon level is good or it would be disabled. If that is the case, then I'd suspect an air mix door actuator stuck open. Be sure to pull the DTC's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is all that was done to the a/c last April...

R134 Freon, A/C retrofit fitting high, Freon Oil, A/C retrofit fitting low, Accumulator, Orifice tube, A/C compressor... Parts and Labor total 704.23 and Still NO a/s...LOL grrrrrrrr It will make like a click noise about every 10-15 seconds and no cold air...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the codes and got

A010 Current Outside Temperature Sensor Circuit

A047 History Low Refrigerant Charge

A012 History Lowside Temperature Sensor Circuit

A048 History Low Refrigerant Pressure

I pulled these after the freon was filled.. and i reset them and the only one that comes up as current now is the A010

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
What is the outside air temp reading? If it thinks that it is 30 degrees outside, it is going to go into the heat mode to attain the 70 degrees or so that you request.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the console where it shows the outside temp it just shows 2 dashs and no outside temp...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,552 Posts
There is your problem. Make sure the sensor is plugged in. If it is, then it probably needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Try a simple test: with the A/C on set to 60 degrees, open the hood and find where the aluminum tubing goes into the firewall. It should be on the passenger's side and is part of the length of tubing along the firewall. Is that part of the tubing cold to the touch? If yes, it could be an air mix or mode issue. If warm, there is something wrong with the compressor/evaporator/tubing/or condenser. If you have a persistent A010 Current Outside Temperature Sensor Circuit code, that sensor could be bad tricking the compressor into cycling less than it should. We recently had a member here who had a bad evaporator thermistor sensor - and it did not throw out any codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, the outside temp sensor thing was unplugged and i found it and plugged it in and its reading 60 when its 90 outside.. So i went to autozone.com and i tried to find the part with no luck. Could there be another name for it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow.. thanks for all your help. I will get that part and cross my fingers that I will finally have a/c.. The weather in SC right now is horrible...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts