Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey now,
I need some direction on my A/C system. Here's the history....bought 1997 STS used with A/C inop. Had it checked and the front of the compressor was leaking. Changed the compressor, accumulator and orifice out. Seemed to work fine for a few weeks then I got a "A/C Compressor off" with the associated "Low Refrigerant". I took it back to shop put gages and it had proper charge, disconnected the battery and hooked back up and it worked for a while and it kicked off again.Did not know at the time about getting codes from the computer and erasing with climate control buttons. Did the battery thing again and it worked again for a while. Then it kicked off again, I then found out about getting the codes and found the " ACM B1348". Cleared the code to no avail. I replaced the "Low Pressure Switch" and cleared the code, removed the battery cable and it worked for a short period of time then kicked out again. Had the shop measure out quantity to ensure it did have the proper charge, 7 ozs. short. Leak checked the system changed o-rings on everything a a precautionary measure. Found "High Pressure Switch" along front fire wall stripped in the boss. Replaced line and switch and recharged system. Compressor would not kick in during charging. " A/C Compressor OFF and Low Refrigerant " and B1348 Messages. Did the Battery disconnect thing couple times and cleared codes. It finally kicked in and worked for 20 minutes or so down the street home and kicked off !! Got any ideas??? Thanks, James

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
it might be your control panel in the dash that is f-ing up....is the compressor able to be manually turned on with a jumper....does the inside fan blow without cold air....please let me know thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added info , just got into car A/C would not kick in during 10 min drive. Got in car to come home and A/C kicks in !! I left it run in the drive way for 20 mins. and it never kicked out. Also came on during the next 4 engine starts. Can I bypass the low pressure detection system???

A/C compressor kicks out but the blower still works.

Have not tried to power the compressor directly.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Your code:
• B1348 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Pressure
What kind of compressor was put in? A GM rebuilt? They're worth it as the cheaper rebuilds give trouble. Did a shop install it? Sounds like you are losing refrigerant.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
i have been working on cars for a long time and let me tell you the whole myth about cheaper parts/rebuilds giving you trouble is total bs...it might have been a problem in the 80's but since the late 90's everything aftermart has totally surpassed gm direct....i never buy anything from the dealer and i dont know anyone that does....for all the lifetime warranties that come with the new parts that are a fraction of the cost of the dealers parts it is a no brainer.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
for all the lifetime warranties that come with the new parts that are a fraction of the cost of the dealers parts it is a no brainer.
These parts are cheaper for a reason and that is why they can offer a lifetime warranty. I'd rather replace it once.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
These parts are cheaper for a reason and that is why they can offer a lifetime warranty. I'd rather replace it once.
gm parts need to be replaced more then once to thank otherwise is foolish...the aftermarket parts are superior...all you get with gm direct as a bs limited warranty that is gone when the part does go out and a high price ticket.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
I just wanted to post what Brasington finally quoted me for a GM replacement compressor, dryer canister and orifice tube. My guess is shipping to be about 5 days (to get from Florida to Arizona). I have to say, if your compressor is shot and you are without air, this would be a long wait. But you would have reliable parts. Here is the mock quote:

Make Cadillac
Model Seville SLS
Year 1997
Parts
1 ORFICE TUBE (52473660) $9.28
1 ACCUMULATOR (88968517) $54.79
1 COMPRESSOR (19169358) $313.43
1 FREIGHT AND INSURANCE (UPS) $15.50

Total Cost $393.00

Again, mine is OK...but I wanted to see what the cost would be in parts to go with GM components.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts