Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I seem to be having an issue with my A/C. It was recharged a couple months ago and just today I noticed that it wasn't blowing cold air. I popped the hood with the car running and could hear the compressor kicking on and then off every couple seconds. Does this mean I need a new compressor or is there something else that could be causing this?

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Check your wires to compressor, maybe one might be pinched, causing intermitant swear words to exit your mouth. :) Did you have a leak before it was recharged?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the car for 3 years before it needed to be charged and wasn't told of any leak by the mechanic so I assumed it was just due because of age. If I need to open up the system again, i'm gonna have alot of swear words flying out.. when they charged the system I had them replace the accumulator as well so all that would have been for nothing. :nono:

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts
Ive never messed with the a/c on mine but I do know this, regardless of age, If it needs to be charged, the freon is exiting somewhere. If you do have to have it recharged, get some dye put in with the charge, that way if it ever does leak you will know were.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
There will probably not be a code. It's been known to happen that the pressure switch that protects the compressor in the event it runs dangerously low on refrigerant will fail and its switching point will drift. There is also another one which is monitored by the body control computer, which can trip error codes. The latter will cause DIC messages as well.

Also, regarding your refrigerant charge level, have you personally seen a meter on it? I don't assume something is so, even if a mechanic claims it is.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There will probably not be a code. It's been known to happen that the pressure switch that protects the compressor in the event it runs dangerously low on refrigerant will fail and its switching point will drift. There is also another one which is monitored by the body control computer, which can trip error codes. The latter will cause DIC messages as well.

Also, regarding your refrigerant charge level, have you personally seen a meter on it? I don't assume something is so, even if a mechanic claims it is.
I hear ya.. i'm starting to believe it might also be on the brink of being out of freon.. they probably didnt bother to test for leaks. I think this might be a good time to buy a set of A/C gauges. I hope its just a leak cause it couldn't be large since it took 3 months to loose a charge.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,112 Posts
:confused: A "short cycle" A/C compressor is a sure signal of low Freon charge. There's a sensor switch specifically to monitor this. You may have had a recharge, but there's a leak somewhere.....your shop will have to do a dye leak test or some such. They'll look at the quick-connect fittings at the condensor and the dryer areas.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys for the suggestions.. I'm gonna run the A/C a little more to see if it sets the "compressor off" message but will have these guys check everything again. Luckily I'm a week shy from the 3 month guarantee they have on their work... also glad nobody chimed in with the "compressors toast!" :thepan:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts