Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 DeVille has always kept me cold since I purchased the car last fall. Today was an extremely hot day, and I haven't driven the DeVille in nearly a month. The temp outside was 106, and the A/C never really got cold. I drove about three or four miles in town .... sort cool but not cold. I am wondering if this is typical for an older Caddy on such a hot day, or perhaps I should try adding some R134? Where to buy? What do I need?

If I add the R134, can I do this myself? How would I do so safely? I have heard that the A/C recharging can be tricky and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing ... and I don't! (-: Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
First off, 106 degrees is putting a great demand on any A/C system, so it may be just fine and doing all it can do. See how it performs on a 90 degree day before adding refrigerant.

Do not add R134a unless it has been converted. On second thought, you will be unable as the service ports are not the same to prevent you from doing so.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. The car was converted by the previous owner to R134. The system appears to be in great shape overall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts