Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my Caddy yesterday and saw "service stability system" on the DIC along with the traction control, brake and ABS lights on. I ran the on board diagnostics to find the following codes:

ABS C1214 System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit open

and the associated code
ABS C1218 EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator on.

Easy enough to pull the inner fender well, reach in and reseat the connectors, check/clean the ground wire from underneath and clear the codes but Bottom line is the EBTCM is bad and from what I read here likely suffering from a cold solder joint on the relay inside.

I didn't feel up to repairing the car myself this time and I have other projects going on. I took it over to my local Midas shop where I take my stuff and they confirmed it. They're installing a used complete unit, flushing and refilling system. They prefer to just install the entire unit as received rather than disassemble it. I will have the old ABS unit to either fix myself or send out for a refurb. Perhaps wise to do?

While they have it I am having them change my transmission fluid. They do NOT own a transmission contamination station (a flush machine) and do the process where new fluid goes in as old fluid comes out. It's getting valvoline synthetic.

Total of 2 days (mostly waiting for part) and $900 out the door including the added trans service. Car comes home tomorrow.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
We use myairbags.com. 80 bucks, 24 hour turn around and lifetime warranty. And you just send out the electrical side, so you can still drive the car while your waiting for it.

·
Registered
1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both sound like good options, thanks. I think I purchased refurbed stuff from myairbags in the past. Car will be fixed today so I am in no hurry on it. I'll just have it done and keep as a spare. I'd a fixed it myself but when i crawled under the car the other day to do the preliminary troubleshooting, the mind said yes but the body creaked no. Besides winter was too long this year so i'm deep into the spring season outdoor stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts