Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

this is Peter from Germany again. I changed the solenoids this evening and put everything back together. It was a much simpler job than I thought, thanks to the good info here in the forum.

Now one thing bothers me: With the solenoids came a bracket that will hold the big oil filter in place. (The one close to the solenoids). With it came a screw that is longer and should replace one of the screws to bolt down the valve body.

The screws originally used on the valve body is 3/4 inch long (= 20 mm). With the new bracket, it should be 1 inch long (= 25 mm).
BUT: With my bracket came a screw that is 1,5 inches long!! If I use it, it will not hold down the valve body since it will bottom out in the transmission case.

Now I want to make sure that I use the bracket in the right location: The only position possible (in my point of view) is more or less in the middle of the filter, halfway in between the solenoids and the tube where the filter goes into the transmission.

Can anyone confirm this? Maybe even tell me on how long this particular screw in the package with the solenoids usually is?

Thank`s for any info tho this issue, peter

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
Peter, I believe the bracket is to hold the solenoids in place to prevent them from cracking again. It was an improvement (modification) to the original.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the longer bolt that came with sol kit is made for the l-bracket thats used to hold th evalve body filter in the old sol held it in b 4

·
Registered
1993 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies; I thought the bracket needed to hold down the filter; I will be in my shop later this afternoon and will check out if the bracket could be attaches somewhere near or close to the solenoids.

Thanks, peter

·
Registered
1993 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Folks,
I solved the problem! Had I read the tutorial here in the forum more closely, I had not had a problem to start with!

The bracket, that comes with the kit, is designed to hold the tiny little filter in place, that is located in between the two solenoids. The screw that is also part of the kit is to be used on the upper side of the valve body.

I took everything apart again (had not yet installed the oil pan), put the bracket in place and bolted everything back together, using a torque wrench and used 98 inchpound on the bolts.

Then topped up the ATF and took it out on the road. Well, nothing better than a problem solved! The transmission shift so smooth, you can only tell with watching the tach!

So I can only thank everyone here in the forum for posting tips!

Have a good week, peter from Germany.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
Peter, Is your transmission a 4T80E ???? If so, it is a dry sump unit and there will be NO fluid on the dipstick with the engine off. Check the fluid with the engine running, warm, and the transmission in P. If necessary, use a vacuum bulb and hose to adjust the fluid to halfway up the dipstick hashmark. ...............The transmission should have a vent hose with loose metal cap clipped to a bracket near the throttle cables.

·
Registered
1993 Seville STS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you submariner. I had a bad battery too, so I replaced that. (Over here, side-post batteries are very scarce so this took a while). I got it this last Friday, put it in, drove the car about 20 mls, so the fluid was warm enough to check and had it leveled out as described. (had to add very little). Thanks for the tip.
It runs and shifts extremely smooth and I am very pleased with the power of the engine. I have a 750 BMW and that one does not shift as smooth as the Cadillac.
I need to adress a suspension issue, as there is a message about the suspension. Will start working on this next week.
Thanks, peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts