Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '99 STS a week ago, and it's been a great car so far, until yesterday when it wouldn't start. I got the low voltage warning on the display and the voltage was at about 7.5. I then discovered that I hadn't gotten the slider for the interior lights all the way out of the on position (I personally prefer having the dome light switch on the instrument dimmer, but maybe that's just because that's what I'm used to). Anyway, when I turned the key nothing happened. It wouldn't start, wouldn't even turn over, just a lovely clicking noise from under the hood, and when left in the ACC position none of the electrics would operate.

Well, I have a jumpstart battery pack, so I hooked it up and all the interior lights, dash, radio, HVAC, etc. came on as normal and the display showed 12.7 volts, but when I turned the key the same thing happened: no turning over, just clicks. Thinking it may be that the jumpstart battery was too weak, I tried using booster cables and the same thing happened again: lights, radio, etc. all on but no turning over.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no good at diagnosing problems, so I may be way off, but all I can think is that the starter is bad. Is there something else I should try? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
86,076 Posts
Charge the battery for a few hours first, then jump it. Also be sure the cables are clean and there is no corrsion.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Ranger said:
Charge the battery for a few hours first, then jump it. Also be sure the cables are clean and there is no corrsion.
I second Ranger. From personal experiences, the clicking sound when trying to start is almost always from a bad connection or a discharged/dead battery not putting out enough amperage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. Seeing as the battery looked like it was probably the original, I decided to simply replace it. With the new battery, the car started right up. Now I can go back to loving this beautiful machine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
bbrock81