Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 deville, 99 STS, both White
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I tested wiper circuit per FSM and determined the pulse board needed replace, so I ordered 1 and installed, still no wipers or sprayer. I was wondering how to test to see if the wiper motor actually works? can I apply 12V to a pin to see if the motor works?

wiper_plug_2.gif

wiper_Plug.gif

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Re: 99 Seville STS wipers do not work

I think pin B should do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, these wipers are ticking me off. I ordered the new pulse board/cover. replace no change, so I ordered a used whole wiper motor unit, from a 98 Seville, got it and it no works, nothing, no wipers no washer pump nothing. I checked the wsw fuse the Accy fuse, I have 12V power to pin B, when the key is on and wipers are on, I have gnd at the wiper plug, I do not know why I get nothing when manipulating the stalk wiper controls. When I jump from B to A I get the washer pump to spin up. I am at a loss to figure out what else could be causing this. I removed the rainsense module, I just leave that unplugged right? no jumping it or anything? is there some sensor or something that is messed up? from the TS in the FSM it basically says that is you have 12V to B wire the wiper motor should run, could I have 2 faulty motors? Help!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
I have 12V power to pin B, when the key is on and wipers are on, I have gnd at the wiper plug, I do not know why I get nothing when manipulating the stalk wiper controls.
That sounds like a bad control stalk to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try jumping to pins B and D, see what happens,,, all the rest of the controls on the steering column work correctly, it just surprises me that nothing at all happens with the wiper system while there is power to the connector just as the FSM says there should be, but to have 2 bad boards just don't make sense, local mechanic says I need to check for power on the yellow and purple wire in the base of the steering column?? any validity to that?

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
My 2000 did the same thing, just wouldn't work one day. If I wiggled the connector at the wiper motor sometimes I could get it to go other times i couldn't. There was volatge at all the right terminals at the connector to the motor, so I figured it was a bad controller so I just replaced the entire assembly and it still didn't work. turned out to be the connector itself. Had to replace it before the wipers would work reliably. One or more of the female terminals in the connector body must have been bent and couldn't get a good contact thru the connectors to the motor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mark, so you had the same issue that nothing worked? Like it was a blown fuse? I am so confused that nothing works, no squirter nothing, but there is 12V to the connector, I tried unplugging and then re-plugging in the connector and wiggling it, I have not seen the wipers move or any noise from the wiper motor. I need to put power to the motor side of the connector and see if I can get the motor to actuate then at least I know the motor works. Thanks for your input! Bill

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote"I removed the rainsense module, I just leave that unplugged right? no jumping it or anything?" Hey all, I just want to check on the rain sense thing again, could removing the rainsense nonsense cause the wipers and squirters to not work? TIA

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Unplugging RainSense will simply bypass it and cause the wipers to operate like any other delay wiper system. It WILL NOT cause the wipers & washer not to work (both mine and my wife's are disconnected).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, this inoperable wipers has my car all balled up in passing inspection, besides actually needing them to see with all the crap falling from the sky here in the Northeast. Anyway I took the STS to the garage, 2 weeks ago, who has worked on my Deville in the past. Anyway they bought a new motor assembly, still no work, then they tried to order a new stalk switch, and they said they are discontinued, so I bought a ebay special and that did not fix it either, that was a week and a half ago, they still have it and the mechanic is stumped, 26 year master mechanic. So does anyone have any idea what else could be blocking current to the motor from the wiper switch? does the circuit go right from ignition voltage to the column switch and then directly to the wiper motor? it seems the pulse current that excites the pulse board is not doing its job to tell the pulse board to send 12V to the wiper motor,, It also does not pass 12v to the washer squirter either. there is 12V at the harness side of the connector at the wiper motor, and good ground, and you can jump the connector.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,413 Posts
If you click his username and open the profile, About Me, you see that he has not logged in for 4 months. You may not receive an answer unless his e-mail is set up to notify him of a reply to one of his threads.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
CTSScott said:
Found my problem, it was the motor electronics attached on the motor. Hope this helps someone else.
Most of the time when wipers don't work at all or works funny, it tends to be the control module. I still need to replace mine, the one I grabbed from the yard was unfortunately for non-rainsense cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts