Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got everything off down to the water pump. Once the water pump socket is locked onto the water pump it just spins. Not like free but with the ratchet. The pump moves around a bit, by hand, in the hole but not much. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Rick

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
The pump is cam locked and it should only take about 1/16 - 1/8 turn to unlock it. If you did that and it spins freely, it should just pop out. If you can't pull it out, maybe you can push it from the pulley side?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
:histeric:

Sorry Rick, but that's just a funny thought.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I had to pry mine out after it was unlocked from the tabs, the O ring and corrosion kept it from coming our easily.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are funny....yes, I removed the belt. I can turn it by hand for about an eighth of a turn and then need the ratchet. It will turn all the way around without much effort but the damned thing won't come out. Maybe a bigger hammer? Just kidding.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,435 Posts
From the beginning ........... Did you unlock it by turning it about 1/5 turn clockwise (to the right) ? If it unlocked and stopped that should have been the point at which the pump assembly would come straight out of the water pump housing (water crossover). If the capsule (plate with locking tangs) is now spinning around and still in the housing something is very wrong.

You have the new assembly to look at ?? .............

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
306 Posts
I've got everything off down to the water pump. Once the water pump socket is locked onto the water pump it just spins. Not like free but with the ratchet. The pump moves around a bit, by hand, in the hole but not much. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Rick
Are you sure that you have the water pump socket all the way in and contacting the locking tangs, or is it perhaps just spinning the impeller? When I changed mine, it was a little tricky at first to be sure it was all the way in, but once I "unlocked" the water pump, it came out easily. The hardest part for me was keeping the new gasket in place (even with Vaseline).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts