Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 STS with 151,000 miles. No current codes or history codes. I have a transmission fluid leak. I have a small puddle each time I park it (about 5 inches in diameter.) I'm taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow. Price wise, what is the best and worst case scenario? I don't what to overpay. Transmission seems to be performing well. Just leaking.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
I have a 99 STS with 151,000 miles. No current codes or history codes. I have a transmission fluid leak. I have a small puddle each time I park it (about 5 inches in diameter.) I'm taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow. Price wise, what is the best and worst case scenario? I don't what to overpay. Transmission seems to be performing well. Just leaking.
=============================
I have a small puddle each time I park it
that is a pretty good size leak -

I'm taking it to a transmission shop tomorrow.
I HOPE it's NOT aamco - or any chain-type shop -

Price wise, what is the best
$0 - goodwill - one minute to tighten up a loose fitting/hose -

and worst case scenario?
$5000 - needs a complete rebuild -

seriously though -
a puddle on the floor isn't much information to go on -

·
Registered
99 STS
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about lack of info. I just had chemotherapy Friday and I don't have the energy to get under it and check it out. I may wait until I'm feeling better and check it out myself. I replaced motor mount about a month ago. Maybe I loosened something up.

·
19,286 Posts
Sorry about lack of info. I just had chemotherapy Friday and I don't have the energy to get under it and check it out. I may wait until I'm feeling better and check it out myself. I replaced motor mount about a month ago. Maybe I loosened something up.
=====================
or take it to a local mom&pop shop for a quick look -
a leak that big shouldn't be too hard to find -

·
Registered
99 STS
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recovered from chemo treatment enough to check out my transmission fluid leak. It's leaking from a cooler line. It's the upper line on the drivers side of radiator. I have 2 questions. (1) Does anyone know the GM part number? I'm getting conflicted numbers on the several sites I've visited. (2) I've read some posts in the forum and if I'm understanding correctly, some STS owners are capping the line and doing without it. Is that correct and is it okay to do?

·
19,286 Posts
I recovered from chemo treatment enough to check out my transmission fluid leak. It's leaking from a cooler line. It's the upper line on the drivers side of radiator. I have 2 questions. (1) Does anyone know the GM part number? I'm getting conflicted numbers on the several sites I've visited. (2) I've read some posts in the forum and if I'm understanding correctly, some STS owners are capping the line and doing without it. Is that correct and is it okay to do?
===============================
(1) Does anyone know the GM part number?
with considerable research -
I found - and verified - GM25681616 is the correct part number -
but it is listed as NLA - No Longer Available -

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=6396338&ukey_assembly=807631&ukey_make=1085&ukey_model=15849&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=19832&modelYear=1999
part #1 - scroll down to the bottom of the text list -
you will find #1 grayed-out -

(2) I've read some posts in the forum and if I'm understanding correctly,
some STS owners are capping the line and doing without it.

NO -
you CAN eliminate the EOC - Engine Oil Cooler -
but not the TRANS Oil cooler -

you might need to have your existing trans line "rebuilt" -

my AC shop regularly replaced leaking rubber sections of lines -
that were no longer available -

·
Registered
99 STS
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's leaking at a curved rubber section. I'll rebuild with a short piece of rubber hose and clamps. Thanks again basscatt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts