Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White STS Z-Rated Massage seats 140k original
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 99 sts..." speed limited to 90" message on dash.when started...now gone??

message has not came back ...it happened yesterday!

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts

Read the "sticky" post above to pull the DTC codes. Whatever caused the speed limited message should still be stored in history. I would suspect something related to the EBTCM (electronic braking/traction control module). If you see only codes that begin with "U", it is safe to completely ignore them unless they keep recurring. These are communication errors between the various modules and it seems normal for them to occur on occasion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i know its been a few days, just gettin busy at work again :thumbsup: haha well i pulled the codes and this is what i got also my rear end was lookin rather lower then usual this morning :worship: just great.lol, I think i looked the codes up right heres what i got.....any idea what would cause the "speed limited to 90 Message" i have a feeling it has something to do with the rear end cause its not like bouncy at all, it still drives good, but it just looks lower then the front and it was never like that I hope im just being paranoid but its definitely lower then usual.....
:helpless:

IPC-B1652-HISTORY- "Loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM)"

IPC-B1983-HISTORY- " - Device Power Circuit Low"

IPM B1652-HISTORY- "Loss of Keep Alive Memory (KAM)"

PCM P0603-HISTORY-"Control Module Long Term Memory Reset"

PCM P1404- HISTORY- "Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position" Performance"

PCM P1520- HISTORY- "Transmission Range Switch Circuit"

PCM P1527- HISTORY- "Transmission Range to Pressure Switch Correlation"

PCM P1599- HISTORY- "Engine Stall or Near Stall Detected' (still havent figured that out lol )

PCM P1611-HISTORY- "Loss of CVRTD Serial Data"

SDM B1327 - HISTORY-"Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts"

MSM B1327- HISTORY-"Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volt"

RSS C1737- CURRENT-"C1737 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to Battery"

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts

Sorry - double post - the Forum is dead - again.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts

The voltage and power circuit low codes look like a dead or failing battery.

The P1611 set the message - Constantly Variable Real Time Damping - suspension fault.

The P1404 will eventually set a Service Engine light. Use the tutorials in Cadillac Tech Tips to clean the EGR.

The P1520 points to a fault in the transmission Internal Mode Switch.

C1737 says your rear level control is out of commission.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts

SDM B1327 - HISTORY-"Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts"

MSM B1327- HISTORY-"Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volt"
The code B1327, no matter what module sets it, means first of all that you had a dead battery. When system voltage drops below 9 Volts the various modules become unreliable and will set random error codes that do not exist.

Address the battery situation if you have not done so already.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts

The RSS C1737 code (current) points to a failed solenoid that exhausts air from the rear leveling suspension. A bad solenoid is simple to diagnose and I believe that the entire compressor assembly must be replaced. While active it disables the leveling system which would explain why the rear end is too low. You should have a "Service Ride Control" message on the DIC. My manual says nothing about it producing a "Speed Limited" message.

Is your battery failing or did it recently run down severely? Many (perhaps all) of your history DTCs relate to low voltage.

If I had to guess about the "Speed Limited" message, I'd say that for some reason the voltage was quite low with the P1611 "Loss of CVRTD Serial Data" causing the message.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

To start off Yes my battery did die 2 weeks ago from my ignorance but thats all good now!

now the EGR i will be giving that a cleaning, ive read that its not that difficult.maybe after i clean that my car wont randomly stall, i just never cleaned it before cause i never got a code for it!

also the fault in the transmission Internal Mode Switch is that serious can it cause serious problems? im not At all familiar with what that is? please bare with me lol

and finally the "C1737" code YES i guess my rear level control is out of commission i take it...its rather low looking and i dont like it i just noticed it this last week around the time of the "speed limited to 90" message now
SwampeastMike in your last comment u mentioned your "manual" and that turned on a lightbulb for me, like duhhhh why didnt i check my manual so i just now went and grabbed my manual and....it says for the "Speed limited to 90" message..."A failure in the suspension control system has occurred when this message appears.the powertrain control module determines the speed to which your vehicle is limited have your vehicle serviced if this appears"

soo i guess what i should ask now is.. . Is this a problem that can be fixed fairley easy...how can i get this "rear level control" back in commission ?? :bonkers:

thanks for the explanations guys its greatly appreciated, seriously

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts

The manual I was referring to is the Factory Service Manual, not the owner's manual.

Keep watching your service codes but DO NOT CLEAR errors. Failed batteries are well known for causing all sorts of codes to appear--codes that won't reappear with a good battery. Watch for any other ACTIVE codes to reappear. "History" codes mean that the problem no longers exists--they are just retained in memory as a diagnostic aid.

Your one active code relates to the solenoid that exhausts (lowers) the air leveling suspension but whenever it is active the entire leveling system is disabled. Over time the rear end will begin to sag because it is never being properly filled (as happens each time you start the car). Most likely the solenoid has failed and unfortunate this requires the entire compressor unit to be replaced (it is also suggested that all of the air lines be replaced when replacing the compressor as debris in the system is often the root cause of failure). It's not a very difficult job to replace, but the compressor is rather expensive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

thanks mike!

now where would this compressor be located if you know by any chance and how much am i lookin at if i want to buy this Compressor assembly? what do these jobs to have this done usually go for?...lets hear the damage fellas.?...:thepan:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

**where is it located on the vehicle is what i mean lol

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts

The compressor is underneath the car--rear end--right (passenger) side. Towards the front of the car ahead of the right muffler. You can see a metal strap holding a big black box-like shape.

The exhaust solenoid is part of the compressor head. Cost about $140 online including shipping.

BUT--solenoids are generally extremely reliable devices that will work for many millions of cycles (like the ones in your shocks) and it likely failed due to "goo" in the system. Given the age, I suspect any dealer or decent mechanic would highly suggest that you replace the "compressor" which includes the drier, a separately mounted filter, hoses and almost everything else in the system including parts that cannot be purchased individually. Cost about $410.

Sorry, but I have no idea of labor charges. It's very reasonbly DIY with only common tools and easy (for a Seville) access, but I would highly suggest a factory manual or on-line subscription before you attempt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

thanks..so around 410 just for the compressor.new......now that link above i looked at that and they say they will fix mine and send it back....now if i where to do that...would my problem be fixed and because my whole compressor is rebuilt that would fix the "C1737" code and maybe get my rear end up??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

should i just convert from "air suspension"

·
Registered
13,969 Posts

it's not air suspension... it's auto leveling...

the air is used to level out the car if there is weight added to the rear seat or trunk (passengers/cargo)

i would not 'convert' this system as it is one of the standard features of cadilacs over the last few decades

i can cut you a deal on the compressor if you want to go w/ a new oem unit

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

thank you everyone for helping figure out what was wrong once again, you guys are great its very appreciated.

now about the "Deal" how much would i be looking at for your compressor ? let me remind you i do plan on fixing this considering i have not had the car a year!:annoyed:

·
Registered
13,969 Posts

#12494809 compressor assembly
$567.76 is the list price
$405 is the 'deal' price

(i think it even comes w/ new air lines)

shipping would probably be $20 or so... i'm just guessing off the top of my head though so don't hold me to it

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

cool cool ill let you know!! im ganna do some looking around thanks for the price check...i might be gettin back to you! thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts