Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 STS that i bought used in January. Everything feels fine but the temperature is always going a little over the half way mark. Lately it has started to smell a lot like coolant. When I bought it I noticed this and took it back to the dealer, they told me cadillacs run hot and it was not a problem. I then had them pay for it to be tested at Stewart Chevrolet in Colma, CA. They told me everything was fine but pressure tested anyway and found no problems. Now it is months later and I have a leak that looks like oil. I regularly have to add coolant and oil because it is running hot. Anybody know what is going on? I dont want to take it to Cadillac to have them test it and say everyhting is fine but charge me 300 dollars...

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Is this coolant smell inside or outside the car?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
outside but i smell it when the windows are down, the leak is red, looks like it is dexcool cuz i poured some on the ground next to it to compare, transmission fluid looks good...thanks in advance

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Can you locate where the smell is coming from......

Hopefully you just have a leaky hose somewhere, and its evaporating off the engine.......

Or, you could have the headgasket going, but I doubt it.....

And losing oil is also somewhat common.........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really hope it is not the head gasket, thanks for replying

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If you could give us some more details, im sure we can help you out more!!!!

Do you think you could post some pics of your cadillac with spinners...... :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know, i am slowly learning more about cars but the cadillac has me crosseyed. I have an 86 caprice that i am learning a lot on but that 305V8 is a whole different ball game to someone like me. I am going to actually get under it this weekend sometime and let you know what I can find. ABout the pics, i have pics but no scanner, will probably go to a friends house to scan them sometime this week. thanks again,

·
Registered
2000 DTS
197 Posts
I've had a problem with coolant leaking for a long time. It started out slow, and then got to the point where I could see it coming out of a crack on the surge tank. Unfortunately I have a 1995 model,and the tanks were updated after that.
Which side of the car is it leaking on, and is it coming from the front, or more towards the firewall?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure what the firewall is, but it looks like it more towards the front than anything else

·
Registered
2000 DTS
197 Posts
The firewall is the "wall" that seperates the engine compartment from the cabin.
If your leak is coming from the front, I would guess it has a cracked radiator. Many of the auroras (same platform as the STS for a long time) had their radiators crack as well. I know they were expensive for the auroras, however, they are also completely servicable, so if there is a radiator repair shop around, you might want to check with them if this is the case. ALso, you may just have a simple leak elsewhere.
I have heard of a dye that can be mixed with the antifreeze, that will show up clear as day under a blacklight. Many people have used it to find leaks, and it is supposed to be really simple to use. Just pour it in, and let it leak out for a few days. I have never used it or even seen it on the market, so if someone else could help me out with this, I would appreciate.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
No matter what your leaking you will have residue and grimmy gunk evreywhere if it hasnt been cleaned off previously. Its gonna run and possibly spray from driving speeds.
Take some time to clean everything off. Do an engine shampoo if necessary; then get in, under and around and wipe off everything.
Sure it takes time but thats a good way to see where anything is comeing from. It also lets you get a bit more personal with your car and Damned if it dont look good too !
The only thing you have to spend doing that is your time.
All the nooks and crannies. Anywhere there is gunk.
You might be surprised what youll see. And if its actually leaking that bad you could find it just by idleing in the driveway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update: finally got it taken care of. it was leaking and actually started to smoke a little bit. it was the water pump. got a new one and no more leaks but car still runs hot and occasionally smells like coolant.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Great!!! And I would expect it to smell like coolant for a while...... There is probably some on the engine, and it will take a little while for it to evaporate off...!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i hope that is all the problem was, i thought it was going to be a thousand dollar job with the way it was leaking. thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts