Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the latest thing my car has figured out to annoy me is a random chirp. Sounds almost like a loose/noisy serp or drive belt, but it only does it once every time where belts are usually continuous. Just driving down the road and 'chirp!' - can't correlate it to speed, transmission shifts, rough road, smooth road - just 'chirp!' every minute or two for awhile. Sometimes I think its coming from the right front, sometimes it 'chirp!' sounds like its behind me... Sometimes it can be 4-5 minutes between one 'chirp!' and the next. :hmm: And all this before I start :alchi:

·
Registered
Cadillac
40 Posts
oh man. Noises can come from just about anywhere sometimes, can't they? The only thing I can tell you is that is how my power steering pump started to go on my minivan way back when. I couldn't put a pattern to it either. All's I know is that is did it when the engine got hot. I went nuts changing idler pulleys and all the like. I even did the alternator as well. Kind of annoying when it turned into a squeel but the power steering felt no different. I finally had two friends help me and go over around up and down the car one day while I sat inside and raced the engine up and down. They did the old fashioned take a long screwdriver and put it on things while putting your ear on the handle trick. Plenty of fluid. No loss of steering. No anything unusual but it made the chirp and then eventually the squeel. I don't think I'll ever replace it unless necessary. You think a N* is tough to get your hands into? Try a 3.3 Chrysler product in a minivan. Just as bad for certain things.

Good luck on your little blue-bird of annoyance there. I don't envy you.

·
Registered
'99 SLS
83 Posts
it's the A/C compressor turning on and off. When you are driving, hit the A/C off button, wait a few seconds and turn it back on, you will hear the same noise.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
I agree with the A/C scenario. Turn it off and see if the chirp persists. If not, check the serpentine belt tensioner. If that is OK, a new belt may be in order.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much knowledge is not always good. I wrote off the AC compressor after I read in FSM that it is a continuous vane (or something like that) compressor so I thought it didn't have a clutch. But to humor you all I started off to work today with the AC off - all quiet. After about 5 minutes push the AC button - CHIRP! Did it a couple more times and there's 100% correlation. So I guess I need a serp belt and maybe a tensioner. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I replaced the serp belt today, took it down the highway and CHIRP! Guess that means I should replace the tensioner? I can't think of another reason it would CHIRP! other than the tensioner getting weak. Just turned 95,000 miles this week. Was reading a post in the Deville forum from somebody who snapped a tensioner bolt off. Any prep work I should do?

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
Say a prayer.

Check the tensioner with a breaker bar. Maybe all it needs is some lube at the fulcrum and a little exercise.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I changed the belt I started by putting a breaker bar on but found that since you have to pull forward to release the tension there was no play due to the alignment of the hole in the tensioner. When I got the breaker bar on, the end of it was up against the radiator cowl so you couldn't pull forward. The next position had it down behind the fuse box where I couldn't reach it. WTF? So I settled on using a 1/2 in. drive ratchet instead and it still took two people to change the belt. The tensioner seemed OK but since we got the job done in 20 minutes and one scotch there must be something else wrong.

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS
37 Posts
My -99 Seville STS also chirps exactly as you have described. Changed the belt, a mechanic checked the tensioner and he thinks that it's OK. I even applied some belt spray. Still chirps whenever the AC is on, exactly the same as before the belt change. I'm puzzled :)

When the chirp occurs, there does not appear to be any power loss or event a significant change in idle RPM. The AC also works perfectly, so I guess the compressor itself is OK. Is it possible that the belt is not slipping, and the noise is actually somehow caused by the engagement of the magnetic clutch?

·
Super Moderator
86,990 Posts
I suppose it is possible, but I have never heard it before. Put a breaker bar in the tensioner lug and apply more tension at idle with the A/C on and see if the chirp goes away. If so, it is momentary belt slippage.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
I have a 2000 Eldo ETC I fricken changed everything that turns in the front of that Northstar, Belts 2 different sizes, Alternator Twice, Tensioner and idler pulley, A/C Compressor yesterday and wouldn't you know it I start the car and CHIRP!!!!! Still know solution!!!!

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
This may be a shot in the dark but, I owned a Ford Ranger with a similar sound. The "chirp" was the beginning of end of my A/C clutch. I sanded it down and it lasted for about three months then the noise was back. Replacement of the clutch solved it for good.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine just eventually went away, although possibly because the AC cycles less in the winter so it might come back this summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts