Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You aren't the first (or last) to find a broken starter snout. We just had a Deville in the shop for something close to that. Broke off the mounting bolt side/ear.

As Ranger posted, get a junkyard MAF. That messed up honeycomb is right in front of one of the heated resistors - airflow changes the resistance which sends signals to the PCM. Post #6.
I just have no idea what all the previous owner went through and/or did with this car, but talking with him he did not seem very mechanically inclined. Ya know there is one thing that I have not seen people mention hardly at all in replacing these NorthStar starters, and that is bench testing them before installing them. I worked in heavy truck & automotive parts at dealerships, and many times have pulled parts off the shelf that were bad. It happens, so better safe than sorry.

Yeah that MAF was a booger, and it being glued or whatever in caused more problems. The heat from the fire probably caused it to give way, but not before stretching the vanes out. Now that it is back tight I could straighten it more, bu I am not in a dire situation, and have time to find one on a Caddy or Olds to replace it.

It's kind of funny with the people that have a bit of a negative opinion of this motor set up, but so far for me it is just doing a little research and using common sense. If you want to work on something that will really have you scratching your head try a NSU with a Wankel Engine ;)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,075 Posts
FWIW the honeycomb on the 2000-2005 FWD Northstar MAFs is bonded in - no snap ring. Look closely at the second pic in Post #6.

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
FWIW the honeycomb on the 2000-2005 FWD Northstar MAFs is bonded in - no snap ring. Look closely at the second pic in Post #6.
Yeah that is what I have on my 99 STS as well. The one I just picked up is off a 97 DeVille, and it is the same way. I'm guessing that since fitment shows 96 through 99 all being the same sensor, then the numbers on the sensor itself are more or less irrelevant?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,075 Posts
Same sensor, maybe different suppliers - "AC Delco" or "DELPHI" might come from one of a thousand contract suppliers in 30 different countries.

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have had multiple things going on, and due to the issues with the maf unit I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body, spacer, and end of the intake as they had a lot of buildup.
I didn't think to take a picture of the throttle body, but it was just as bad.
So got everything buttoned back, and when I went to connect the battery cable the starter was engaging. :( Before I have to pull everything out again is there anything I should check like a relay or crimped wire? I benched tested the starter before installing and it was good, the old starter was dragging, and the end was busted, but no other issues with it cranking.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts