Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inadvertently messed up the screen on my mass air flow, and I need to know what my options are. None of the fins are torn, just loose in a small area on one side. The intake is off, to replace the starter, with the MAF still attached. Is the screen replaceable, or possibly repairable? According to the previous owner it had caught on fire (starting fluid), and from the baking soda residue, it was at the MAF, so I am wondering if the heat made it a little touchy. Open for suggestions on this one?

BTW I'm guessing they put some kind of insulation down under the intake, do they use possum fur for that? :D I think that may be a good name for my next band Slim & The Possum Fur Cadillacs :cool:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,465 Posts
That "screen" is an air flow straightener. You could try to straiten it with a small tool or get a replacement from the "men's mall" (salvage yard) and replace it.

The "insulation" under the intake was most likely a rodent nest. The little bastards seem to like taking up residency in there.

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That "screen" is an air flow straightener. You could try to straiten it with a small tool or get a replacement from the "men's mall" (salvage yard) and replace it.

The "insulation" under the intake was most likely a rodent nest. The little bastards seem to like taking up residency in there.
Okay, that makes sense being a "straightener" just looking at it it looks like an ordinary screen, but as I have found out it is actually vanes going across. I'll take it loose from the manifold, and see if I can repair it first, if not I'll be at the upull it. ;)

I don't know how long this car just sat, but there was a big ball of long fur in there. lol

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,706 Posts
Yup - it's a 1/8" thick honeycomb. Think of the flow straighteners in wind tunnels. Your MAF is bolted directly to the TB - 2000 and later uses an inline MAF in the rubber ducting.

No, the honeycomb in no way restricts airflow, even at WOT redline.

Wait 'till you find a 7 foot long eastern rat snake in there.,,............

Trouble with mice and rat infestation is that the critters chew wiring.

MAF (pre 2000).jpg
MAF front quarter.jpg
MAF end view.jpg

·
Administrator
67,706 Posts
FWIW, the so-called "performance" mechanically-only modified MAF does nothing for performance but set lean codes, cause a nasty off-idle or full throttle downshift bog, and costs a mpg or two.

Over 3,000 miles of test and observation - it's still on the garage shelf if anyone wants it. Used 4 months, so I'll knock off $50 from the original $302 I threw away.

MAF-JET and OEM.JPG

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup - it's a 1/8" thick honeycomb. Think of the flow straighteners in wind tunnels. Your MAF is bolted directly to the TB - 2000 and later uses an inline MAF in the rubber ducting.

No, the honeycomb in no way restricts airflow, even at WOT redline.

Wait 'till you find a 7 foot long eastern rat snake in there.,,............

Trouble with mice and rat infestation is that the critters chew wiring.

View attachment 575247 View attachment 575248 View attachment 575249
Thanks for the info & pictures, it's more than I have found. I was hoping to find that it was actually removable, and replacement parts available. I'll get it off in a bit, and see what I can do in fixing it now that I have a little more info.

When I first pulled the intake it actually looked like a big wad of fiberglass insulation in there, but it was long hair. I'm not sure how critters get up in there, but it looked like cat fur to me. I have a big oak tree over my driveway, and if I don't move my Astro Van for a couple of days, someway squirrels get to the top of my radiator and eat acorns there. :unsure: When I first began to work on the STS the water pump on the Astro went out, but it wasn't a bad fix just that there was no room. A lot of stuff had to be taken off, so I can't figure out how they manage to get through all that stuff to get on top of the radiator.

Funny that you mention the rat snake, because just a few months ago I had a 3 footer trying to come in my house. The glass/screen door is missing a piece of the rubber scraper on one corner, and he was about half way through. I was working outside in & out a lot, spent a few minutes inside, and when I went to go back out there it was. He saw me, couldn't get in, couldn't get out, so I had to get a broom and open the door for him. I am real careful when I open the front door now. :LOL:

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, the so-called "performance" mechanically-only modified MAF does nothing for performance but set lean codes, cause a nasty off-idle or full throttle downshift bog, and costs a mpg or two.

Over 3,000 miles of test and observation - it's still on the garage shelf if anyone wants it. Used 4 months, so I'll knock off $50 from the original $302 I threw away.

View attachment 575250
I think it was you that I saw a post about the Modified MAF on another thread, good info for me. ;)

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
230 Posts
You might want to do a search like on Amazon as there are new MAFs as low as only $23
I just bought for a 2001 Corvette, 5 wire 75 mm they were in stock and big different when just a just years ago
were almost 10 times that cost

MOSTPLUS Direct Replacement MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter MAF for Chevrolet Chevy 25318411 AF10043

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,999 Posts
You might want to do a search like on Amazon as there are new MAFs as low as only $23
I just bought for a 2001 Corvette, 5 wire 75 mm they were in stock and big different when just a just years ago
were almost 10 times that cost

MOSTPLUS Direct Replacement MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor Meter MAF for Chevrolet Chevy 25318411 AF10043
=======================
there aren't very many corvette parts that will work on a Seville -
although a 5-wire - 75mm - chevy MAF MIGHT make an attractive/interesting paperweight

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
230 Posts
No but as a mentioned do a search for model needed and see if they have one

Would be far easier then looking in a junk yard and no way would taking a screen off another work as it will bent up and cause turbulence which effects MAF frequency output

$85
Cardone 74-9542 Remanufactured Mass Airflow Sensor (MAFS)

·
Administrator
67,706 Posts
Slimm, Take basscatt's advice and pull a couple of MAFs at the local junkyards. No sense spending big bucks on a part that is, for all intents and purposes (barring fires), bulletproof. If the original heated resistors and possible internal IAT thermistor are intact the only "rebuild" for a MAF is to pretty it up.

Your MAF might get a smidge dirty because it's bolted to the throttlebody, very close to where the PCV clean and dirty air lines are connected, so it may pick up some oil vapor over time. 2000 and later moved the MAF to the intake ducting over near the air filter box and the PCV lines connect to very different locations - away from the throttle butterfly - so the TB and MAF stay MUCH cleaner..

www.rockauto.com, your car, exhaust and emissions (not fuel and air), curiously.

·
Super Moderator
86,465 Posts
If you decide to replace the air flow straightener, it is held in by a small retainer ring. This video shows it being removed off the car, but I have pulled it without dismounting the MAF sensor.

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you decide to replace the air flow straightener, it is held in by a small retainer ring. This video shows it being removed off the car, but I have pulled it without dismounting the MAF sensor.

Ranger that is exactly what I needed to see, but had not found! Hopefully I can get back on this tomorrow, and see if I can repair it. I'll take pictures of the damage, and hopefully of the fix for reference.

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slimm, Take basscatt's advice and pull a couple of MAFs at the local junkyards. No sense spending big bucks on a part that is, for all intents and purposes (barring fires), bulletproof. If the original heated resistors and possible internal IAT thermistor are intact the only "rebuild" for a MAF is to pretty it up.

Your MAF might get a smidge dirty because it's bolted to the throttlebody, very close to where the PCV clean and dirty air lines are connected, so it may pick up some oil vapor over time. 2000 and later moved the MAF to the intake ducting over near the air filter box and the PCV lines connect to very different locations - away from the throttle butterfly - so the TB and MAF stay MUCH cleaner..

www.rockauto.com, your car, exhaust and emissions (not fuel and air), curiously.

Yeah if I am not able to repair it I'll probably head to the yard, and pull one. I was getting no codes before, so the sensor itself should be good. I had looked at Rock Auto, but not in the the exhaust & emissions section like in your link, so thanks!

·
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I got the MAF unit off, and found that the flow straightener was not removable. Mine does not have the retaining ring it is bonded /glued in. Just for the heck of it I tried fixing it, had to have a LOT of patience! It looks better than in the picture, and now that everything is hardened I can do more straightening if I wish. This was more or less an experiment if it could be fixed in a jam. ;)
In the first picture you can see the edge is slightly melted from the starting fluid fire that they put out with the baking soda. While it is easy to do I will go ahead and do a good clean up on the throttle body as there was residue from the baking soda inside the MAF housing. Or I could throw some flour & milk in there and see if I can make biscuits when I crank it up. :D

There has been a ting type rattle that sounded like maybe the sheet metal around the catalytic converter, but since it was intermittent, mostly right after I started it, I couldn't locate it. Well I finally found it. o_O

·
Super Moderator
86,465 Posts
WOW! That air flow straightener is worse than I thought. I'd replace it.

·
Administrator
67,706 Posts
You aren't the first (or last) to find a broken starter snout. We just had a Deville in the shop for something close to that. Broke off the mounting bolt side/ear.

As Ranger posted, get a junkyard MAF. That messed up honeycomb is right in front of one of the heated resistors - airflow changes the resistance which sends signals to the PCM. Post #6.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts