Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone-

Real quick question. Does anyone know how to remove and install the top of the dashboard in the 99 STS? You know, the part that meets the windshield, covered in vinyl.

I need to make some repairs to the vinyl- it's coming off the base of the piece, so it kinda looks bad.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also having the same problems and looking for help. I'm ready to start prying off. Are exploded diagrams available to show where the clisp are?

Thanks!

- Jeff

·
Registered
1999 STS (Z rated, Right hand drive)
207 Posts
Pry off the defroster grill using a flat tool, a blunt knife maybe,
remove the A/C vent grills on the dash, these are held in place by tabs just inside the grill, this gives you access to the retaining screws which secure the top panel ,there are three screws just inside the opening of the defroster vent, and another four screws in the dash panel, one in each A/C vent.
Having said this, i believe you have to disable the air bags first for safety reasons, i suggest you get advise first, hope this helps,

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just pull the four A/C deflectors out of the dash and remove the screw that's behind each one. The deflectors can be popped out by pushing a very thin credit card type of plastic at the top and bottom of the deflector at the same time. I use the fake Discover credit cards that I get in the mail all the time. Once the four screws are out, you can lift the dash top up. Unplug all the speaker connectors. Once that's done, you can pull up and rearwards to unhook the front of the dash to remove it.
STS- do you have a RH drive Caddy? The LH drive ones don't anything else other than the A/C vent screws removed to pull the dash top.

·
Registered
99 sls
36 Posts
My '99 Seville SLS dash has curled up from the heat, just to the right of center and up near the windshield. The info here sounds like I could replace it, but I'm not having any luck finding where to buy a new one.

I'd very much appreciate any tips on a reliable supplier (other than Cadillac).

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado, 2000 Seville STS, 2007 Escalade, 2009 CTS4
72 Posts
I removed mine and used Gorilla Glue to fix it. It worked wonders and looks like factory.....

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
I pulled mine on my 2000 and used 3M trim adhesive, let it sit in my garage for a day before putting it back on. First hot day it curled right back up almost as bad as it was before. Don't use 3M adhesive. You won't find a new one from GM, only source is a bone yard and i doubt you'll find one in much better shape than you have now. Watch out for the little J clips that the four bolts in the vent openings attach to, they can fall off the cover pretty easily after the bolt is removed and will end up down insdie the dash somewhere.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
The defrost grille can only be removed after you remove the dash pad. Once you disable the air bag system and remove the four screws hidden by the A/C vents, pull up slightly on the pad to disengage the clips above the cluster, then pull forward.

The defrost grille is still available new and not very expensive. The dash pad is also available, but it is very expensive.

If anything like my '99, the defrost grille will be deformed and brittle making re-shaping nearly impossible. The dash pad is another matter. While they do tend to distort and the bottom edge tends to curl and separate along the wood trim, mine was quite repairable. Lots of rubber bands, clothes pins, etc. for clamps, some good thick contact adhesive (like Goop) and heat from a blow drier or carefully used heat gun at low temperature and mine is like new again and has stayed that way for nearly a year.

·
Registered
99 sls
36 Posts
Thanks for your input. After talking to a professional upholsterer with many years of experience, I'm not sure it's something I want to tackle. However, with your information I think I could. Just have to work up my courage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts