Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for my first battery replacement for my STS. What battery is everyone using?

I've only found a replacement at Sears and the dealer.

While I was on vacation,out of state,for the holidays I thought I'd replace the battery, I went to three places before finding a battery at Sears. I asked them to test the system and replace the battery. After waiting for 30 minutes (there was one other car in the entire shop, 8 bays, and five mechanics milling around), a so-called mechanic walks over to my car and opens the hood. After watching him look for the battery for about 2 minutes from a distance, I walked over and asked him if he was looking for the battery (hey, maybe he was making sure everything else is in order, I didn't know) this guy looks at me, half laughs and goes back to looking for the battery under the hood. Clearly he didn't have a clue and was rude as hell. I walked back into the showroom got my keys and left after explaining I wouldn't let that guy touch my car if I had to push my car down the street.

All of this coming after Sears charged me for struts they didn't replace on my Acura (of course this was settled very quickly after I pointed out the fact that they don't sell rusted original Acura struts). After threatening to call the police, pointing out that this was no different than them breaking into my house and robbing me, they refunded my money and put the new struts in for free (all while I watched their every move of course). Needless to say I'm not a big Sears fan.

Anyway, what is the best battery and how much is it? Sears wants $99.00.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I haven't had a Seville long enough to R & R the battery. Even my daughters is a '99 and I am not sure if it is original or not, but being that it is under the rear seat, it has to be vented to the outside via the vent tubes, so you can't just use any battery. I think our choices may be somewhat limited.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ranger, Thats what I've discovered, it also seems the battery has a fairly high CCA requirement that makes it a bit harder to find.

I like the fact that its under the seat. I believe thats the reason its lasted this long.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When my battery died just recently I went all out and bought an optima red top battery. It has 1000 cold cranking amps at 32 degrees and 800 at 0 degrees. It also has a 3 year free replacement and a 6 year prorated warranty. It fits fine and I have been very happy with it. The only bad side was it cost me 135 dollars but in my opinion it was worth it.

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante
198 Posts
I second the motion for an Optima battery. I bought one and it's doing a nice job. The sealed cells make the battery spill-proof.

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I think Optimas would be a good choice for our cars too. They are AGM (Absorbed Glass Material) so they can't spill and they don't outgas, eliminating corrosion and the need for vents. I use a deep cycle one on my sailboat because it stows under the sink and sits for long periods.
According to the application charts, Optima doesn't have a battery for the later Sevilles, whatever that means. I suppose you have to make some adaptions. Any comments here?

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Your battery is 7 years old. That is not too bad in my book. If it were me who needed the battery, I would get the same OEM one. How much is the dealer asking? Also, is there any shops that sell the OEM batteries, other than the dealers?

Don

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the Optima idea, I hadn't thought of that. I wonder why they aren't listed for our cars?

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante
198 Posts
I don't know why they aren't listed but I called Pep Boys, they said they had one in stock. I brought the original battery with me and sure enough the case size matched. The big item was the specs are much better on the Optima compared to the original battery and that sold me. The Optima fit right into the same spot as my original and the original cables bolted right on. No fuss no muss. Only time will tell if the Optima is worse, as good or better. So far it's doing the job.

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich, I've heard nothing but good things about the Optima. I'm guessing it'll hold up much better than stock.

Thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Can anyone verify which color optima is needed and if there is really no need to vent them? My battery is going dead a little too fast with the key turned over playing the radio.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,448 Posts
Optima and Surrette make a line of AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries for boat and commercial use. They're pricey, but carry high starting current ratings and are spillproof.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Well since my year has the battery under the backseat, I definitely want a spillproof battery. I am just trying to verify whether or not the red or yellow top will actually fit under the backseat with no problems.

·
Registered
2001 STS
189 Posts
Yep Optima red top is what I've got. Damn o.e. A/C Delco didn't make it 3 years. No venting required with it either.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
I put an Interstate replacement in mine almost 3 years ago. I just took the car out of storage since October and it started no trouble. Never once ran it or disconnected the cables. It may be a cheaper alternative, that's all.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I put an Interstate replacement in mine almost 3 years ago. I just took the car out of storage since October and it started no trouble. Never once ran it or disconnected the cables. It may be a cheaper alternative, that's all.
Always happy to hear of alternatives. I know we have interstate batteries close by but I dont know about optimas. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Mine wasn't bad when I got my car in fact it was probably brand new. But I had a yellow optima from my old one that I put in my 99. Don't know where you are but I have an extra stock battery otherwise I recomend Optima of some sort red or yellow the yellow is deep cycle I have it for my subwoofers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts