Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Seville STS 153,000 4.6L N*
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right front tire was facing outwards and the tires were screeching around turns. Took it to the dealership thinking a tie rod had come loose and to get an alignment.

The dealership is telling me I have a "Cracked Subframe" that will cost $900 to replace. The car is only worth about $2,000

The car was not in any major accidents and I did not run it on the curb. This problem came on slowly and I only noticed it recently.

The dealer will not weld on the sub frame. Should I get a second opinion?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,504 Posts
Sounds like the car is living on borrowed time, but if you can get it to a good, dedicated alignment shop I would get a second opinion. RF tire toed out ??? The wheel bearing hub assembly (no separate bearings) is most likely toast by now. More $$$.$$

IF the powertrain cradle is cracked/rusted/broken then, yes, there's a lot of labor involved.

What's the car worth to YOU - forget the Blue Book $$$ value ..................... Can you buy another one for $900 ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is in good shape (new: engine @ 48k; radiator, motor mounts, shocks @ 120k)

The car pulls to the right, and when the steering wheel is straight the right front tire faces outward, while the left front tire is dead on.

Dealer found a used sub frame for 300, would cost 900 all together to replace. The crack is minor and he suggested I to take it to a shop to repair the frame for ~200. Is this feasible or should I just replace it?

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Go with a good used subframe replacement.
Shop a little. $300 seems high unless it's fully loaded with all the mounts, suspension and control arm / strut components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to take it back and have them replace it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts