Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I posted here a couple of months certain that I was going to get a '99 STS (green). However, that never panned out due to the fact it was a couple of hundred miles away and I would have to purchase it on the basis of never seeing the car first. So anyway, I work at the local Cadillac dealership and they just got in a 1999 Seville STS with 74k miles and all the goodies. The car is black with a tan leather interior. My mom is strongly considering this car for me, and I just wanted to know some questions. The front motor mounts have just been replaced, and it has new tires. The dealer is asking $11,500 but since I work there I can get a better deal than that. What do you think a fair price would be for the car? The paint is in decent shape for a 7 year old car, and the interior is extremely clean. The only issues I can see with the car is that the right front speaker is blown, and the bumper is missing a patch of paint (both would be fixed). Thanks for all your help! :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
What options does it have?

For what its worth, I just bought an 02 black/black with sunroof/hids with exactly 74k for $11,000.

I would try to get them down to $9500 atleast, $10,000 max. There are alot better deals out there than that if you check autotrader.com and cars.com. But, I also know what its like with parents and you don't wanna miss the opportunity to get a sweet ride. The speaker is no big deal and the paint can be easily fixed. Get them to give you a service history printout and see what issues the car has had and what kind of maintenance.

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
Don't know what state you are in and what the market for cars is, but just to compare...I bought mine in Nov. of last year. A 1 owner '98 STS totally mint with 76,xxx for $9,000...put $1,800 in within the first 6 weeks....so I would think you should buy for around $9,500 if they don't offer a warranty!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only options it doesn't have is the Sunroof and the Nav. system (not sure if that was even an option in '99). The standard warranty is 2 months/2000 miles but i would buy an extended warranty. I'm going to get a price on Tuesday and hopefully the dealer and I can work out some kind of deal. The car is beautiful and my mom loved it just as much as I did! Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
The absolute best possible thing you can do is have the car checked at your dealership. Have an exhaust test done for the coolant (very cheap) to make sure the car doesn't have any head gasket issues. Do a search on the forum for pulling the codes from the info center on the dash, should tell you alot about the car. Also keep in mind that the shocks are 1000 dollars a piece and the sensors for each shock are 400. Not a cheap car to maintain.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Also, a year ago I paid $7500 for a 99 bronzemist STS with on sunroof and 77k miles. If she doesn't mind shopping elsewhere, I'd look around for the same car at a lower price. But if your really set and don't mind paying the price, go for what makes you happy.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I wasn't really in the market for a STS since my Camry is a fine car, but she likes the fact this car was purchased new at the dealer and then sold as a pre-owned car from the same dealer. Salesmen also told me that all the service has been done at the dealer and the records are available. Luckily my parents have bought 5 GMC vehicles from this dealer ('95 Sierra, '99 Suburban, '01 Yukon XL, '05 Yukon XL, '07 Sierra 2500HD) and they have been extremely good to us. I'm sure that I can get the car for around $10000 (saleswoman told me that the car was traded for only $7500, so they want $4,000 more than what trade is). KBB values the car at $12,183; Edmunds at $9,973. So i'm gonna wait for the pricing and then continue on. Until the, still got my Camry! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Hey guys! I posted here a couple of months certain that I was going to get a '99 STS (green). However, that never panned out due to the fact it was a couple of hundred miles away and I would have to purchase it on the basis of never seeing the car first. So anyway, I work at the local Cadillac dealership and they just got in a 1999 Seville STS with 74k miles and all the goodies. The car is black with a tan leather interior. My mom is strongly considering this car for me, and I just wanted to know some questions. The front motor mounts have just been replaced, and it has new tires. The dealer is asking $11,500 but since I work there I can get a better deal than that. What do you think a fair price would be for the car? The paint is in decent shape for a 7 year old car, and the interior is extremely clean. The only issues I can see with the car is that the right front speaker is blown, and the bumper is missing a patch of paint (both would be fixed). Thanks for all your help! :)

Make sure you factor in the cost of a rebuilt tranny.

My '00 seville had the SES light come on at 70,000 miles and it showed a 0741 code which means the TCC needs to be replaced at a cost of $2,400 -$2,800.

After doing some research, this problem is common on Sevilles between '99-'02.

FYI- I paid $10,900 for my '00 Seville 2 years ago. The '00's are now selling for $7,500 to $10,000 in the Charlotte, NC area.

Good luck.

·
Registered
00 ETC 02 Lighting
16 Posts
That's about $2,500 too high with those kind of miles.

I just bought a 2000 Eldorado ETC with 43,000 miles, 1 owner(doctor) for
$10k at a BMW dealership in perfect condition. Bought a 2yr/24k bumper/bumper warranty also for $1500.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
KBB values the car at $12,183; Edmunds at $9,973. So i'm gonna wait for the pricing and then continue on. Until the, still got my Camry! :rolleyes:
Never... ever.. listen to the blue book. And I mean NEVER. No matter what car, what year, what mileage.. their values are always inflated. If a dealer ever tries to convince you of a price based on blue book value, laugh at them and walk away. I haven't actually checked the value myself, but if edmunds is quoting $9973 then go by that number, as they have always been more in line with actual market value. Since you work at the dealer, and your parents have been long time customers, and you know they paid $7500 for it on a trade, offer them $9K for it and stick to your guns.. if they won't go any lower than 9,5 then I'd say it's a toss up and completely up to you. But like others have said, there are many other Sevilles out there with better mileage for a better price.

If anything I'd recommend you go on autotrader and only look for 2000+, you might end up thanking yourself in the long run.

What's your location? I'm interested to see what else is in your area?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Okay, I saw in one of your other posts that you're in NC.. so here's what I found doing a search within 50 miles of Charlotte:

A '98 STS with 64K - $9,995

A '99 SLS with 74K - $8500

A '00 SLS with 62K - $10,995

So.. Since I don't know your exact location there could be even more choices even closer to you. But a little bit of research goes a long way, and the key is just getting them checked out thoroughly.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in the New Bern area, and the only other model around here is a '01 STS with 64k miles going for $9950. I will definitely check that out, but I will want to see the records, and all that stuff before buying the car. My mom told me today since I will most likely trade in the Camry ('00 LE with 59k loaded) she isn't going to get ripped off with the trade-in and on the Caddy. I know that $9500 is extremely fair for that vehicle and that is in line on what Edmunds is offering.

As for the reliability, I see quite a few Seville's in the shop. About 70% are the '92-'97 models with the Northstar engine's hanging on a crane to the side. I checked the service slip on one yesterday ('97 White STS with 84k miles) and it said that it had white smoke billowing from the back. Car was in pristine condition. On the lot they also have a '02 STS w/ 48k miles going for $16,995 (wayyyyy to high) and a '00 SLS for $11,995 (don't like the rims nor the color, but has 60k miles). This dealer is quite notorious for marking up the prices about $2,000 over what the car is really worth.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Even though I'm fairly new to the Seville myself I can say there was absolutely no way I was going to buy a pre-2000. After hearing stories from various dealer and mechanic friends of mine, that service percentage you've noted first hand sounds about right. By 2000 Cadillac seemed to have ironed out most of the kinks that plagued the Sevilles and Northstars before it. I'd hate to see this turn into another SLS vs. STS kind of thread. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses compared to one another. But I would never dare say that one is better than the other. It seems whenever some people are asked what type of car they drive, it's either an "SLS" or "STS," aside from the new models Cadillac never made models called "SLS" or "STS," they were merely different trims of the same car - the Seville. So when I am asked what kind of car I drive, I say - A Cadillac Seville.

Sorry for that little diatribe... but I do have a point. Don't get it into your head that you *have* to have an STS, go into it with an open mind and drive both trims. I say this because you can usually find more SLSs in better shape, with better miles, for a better price, since most of them weren't beaten to the extent that STSs are. I'm not saying there aren't good condition STSs with low miles out there... but you'll be paying an arm and a leg for it, hence that '02 w/48K. If you drive both you may find that you either can't really tell much of a difference or that you may actually like the SLS a little more.

I picked up my '02 Seville SLS with 45K miles and a two-year extended warranty for around $13K give or take a few hundred (I can't remember the exact number.. I know we're paying like $265/mo for it). It was fully loaded with the the wood trim package, memory seat/tilt-telescope wheel package, the bose system, and the chrome 16" wheels, basically everything that could be ordered minus the sunroof. After joining here and reading how some look down upon the SLS while praise the STS to high heaven I went out to test drive a comparable STS of the same year. Some may argue... but I just don't see much of a difference with the exception of four little pieces of wood trim that extend from behind the door handle to the end of the door and 17" wheels. And that's pretty much it... aside from a slightly rougher ride. I have no particular need for those few extra pieces of wood and have no desire to spend the extra money for replacing 17" tires.

So again... sorry for the second diatribe, but I'm merely trying to impress upon you the need for an open mind when shopping around. As I have pointed out before, it doesn't matter which one you buy... it's still a Seville, but most importantly... it's still a Cadillac. No matter how nice you think your Camry is, you'll look forward to waking up every morning just to driver her!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply! To be honest it really doesn't matter to me if it is a SLS or STS. To me the only difference in the two models is the 25hp less and the less wood trim on the SLS. I really don't have a preference to which model it is, but that 2000 SLS on the lot currently is a dark blue color I don't really like and the car itself looks alot more beat up than the STS did. I also read that the '99 models require premium fuel (I don't think it requires it; just runs better with it). My family members keep telling me that the Camry is such a good car, why would you trade it in for the Caddy? Nothing is wrong with the Camry at all and while it's a great car, i've always wanted a Seville (definitely prefer the '98-'04 to the new models) and since I can (hopefully) get a good deal on this one I might as well go ahead and spring for it. I will post some pictures of the '99 STS and the '00 SLS when I head to the dealer tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for all the suggestions though!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to the dealer this morning to discuss details on what the prices would be. They were going to give me $8306 for my trade in (2000 Camry LE) and wanted me to pay the $11,500 for the STS. That was a difference of $3193 and I am not going to pay that much of a difference between the two cars. I walked out and then the salesman came out and had taken another $200 off the car. I still didn't bite because I knew I was getting screwed. So i went down to Jacksonville and looked at an '01 STS with 66K for $9329. Car was extremely clean and I liked the color better since it would be easier to keep clean. I'm going back to that dealer on Wed. and am going to bring my Camry to see what kind of agreement we can work on. If that car doesn't pan out either, I will keep on waiting for the right one to come along. I know it will! :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Good job on not letting the dealer get over on you. Your right about black being hard to keep clean. Heck, it's hard to GET clean.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah and I was disappointed because my family has bought so many cars from them and I already knew they had traded the car for $7500 so I feel that meeting them halfway at $9500 was extremely fair. My parents and I are trying to get it where we don't have to finance the Caddy and I want to get the trade in and the price of the car within a $1000 of each other. Yeah but anyway, here is the '01:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=229333916&dealer_id=294739&car_year=2001&model=&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CAD&color=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=28562&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=12000&cardist=27

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Good for you for sticking to your guns. I am surprised that the dealership will not go along with you, a happy employee will only benefit them in the end, its also good that you want to check things out and not rush into anything, but I will say this, my 99STS I went over with a fine tooth comb and for two years it has been great, no problems other than the Crankshaft position sensors, now two years on and most of the problems that are posted here have appeared, the leaky trunk, the Suspension Service issues, blower motor and module going, ABS pump stalled, waterpump replaced and now EVAP system codes, P0440. The other problem is the P0741, funny this car was well looked after and still these problems occur, now I am lucky in that I can fix these but you might want to reconsider that Camry and keep it, I am biting my tongue saying that but you sound like a young lad and this early in the game you may not need the headaches. Hope you find the answers.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah i'm only 17 and have always loved the body style of these cars. I'm going to check out the '01 STS and drive it before I go any farther. However, i'm going to keep the Camry (unless the '01 turns out good). I think eventually the exact car I want will show up (I really want a Black with Tan leather or a Polo Green with Tan leather) but I also love the silver/light tan of the '01. The cars seem to be just as reliable as my Toyota as long as you keep them up.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Caddyshack100 I can understand your argument but you have to realize that ALL cars have to have parts replaced. Just because one car doesn't make it to 120k without problems does not mean the next won't.

People often fall into the trap of Honda and Toyota are problemless. Go look at review sites and you will find tons of people unhappy with both, along with every other mfg.

One advantage to the Camry is the fuel mileage though. It is also a nice car. He really needs to do what will make him happier.

Edit: I've owned 4 STS models. A 1996, 2 1999's, and now a 2002. I have never had any serious issue nor have I ever been left stranded somewhere

1 - 20 of 52 Posts