Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago after taking my 99 SLS to the car wash, I noticed the top of the mirror glass had what looked like a narrow bubble. At first I thought it might have been something on the surface, so I tried to clean it but it didn't come off. Anyway, the bubble was small and narrow and didn't affect the use of the mirror so I decided to live with it. About a week later, I noticed the bottom on the mirror glass appeared to have what looked like a small burn mark. The discoloration would come and go and I had no idea what it was. It suddenly vanished but a new problem arose. The once narrow bubble at the top of the glass has expanded and now if seems to be fogging right below it. The fog is not on the outside so it can't be wiped off. The defrost will rid most of fog, but it will be back shortly thereafter. I know eventually the bubble and fog will fill the whole mirror surface and make it useless.

Anyone have this problem? Any solutions other than replacing the mirror? I have both the day/night and heated mirror options in the car if that helps.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
You will be replacing the glass before too long. The left side part # is 88891651 and the new price is approx. $180.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will be replacing the glass before too long. The left side part # is 88891651 and the new price is approx. $180.
If that the whole mirror or just the glass? There is no picture when I look it up. I've looked up the part at the GM Parts Direct site and there is no part number for the mirror I need (w/memory, w/light sensitive, w/heat). Any idea what number that is?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
There is no need or reason to replace the mirror housing. The part # in post 2 is the part (glass) you need.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, like I said, there was no picture for it so I couldn't determine whether it was the whole assembly, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, do you know what other cars this part fits? If it fits another Caddy, I may have an easier time getting a used one.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The mirror glass for all Sevilles, 1998-2004, is the same part.

And the mirror glass for all Devilles, 2000-2005, is the same size also. The difference with Devilles is the turn signal LEDs were added in 2003.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I could replace your glass in less time than it takes to write about how to do it! And you won't find anything in your Service Manual.

The glass is held in place by the two drive shafts that control the tilt plus two plastic clips. When you have your replacement glass in hand you will see how the glass backing is designed.

To remove the old glass, warp a bladed tool in a cloth to protect the mirror housing paint and pry the glass out at the bottom center and the outboard center. The tool I use is a wide file blade. There will be two spade connectors for the heating element and a small connector for the electrochromic function.

When you have the old glass out and see how all the pieces have to fit together, installling the new glass just takes a little patience to get everthing aligned. I use a piece of 1X4 lumber with a towel over the glass to apply even and equal pressure over the entire glass surface. It will take a sharp blow on the wood with the fat part of your fist to snap and lock everything in position. Do not be afraid to give it a good sharp smack.

It sounds crude but that is the method that works. You could practice with your old glass.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I actually ran the part numbers for the mirrors on the DeVille and the Seville and the mirrors are the same, not just the glass. I actually found a mirror from a DeVille that should work nicely. If it turns out the whole mirror is not the same, at least I still have the glass to install.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2007 SRX V6
44 Posts
Hi

have similar problem with my 01 STS, 30% of driver side mirror is pretty foggy and what's left is bronze, since i live in europe and can't order from GMPartsdirect (they don't ship outside US :( ) checked with local shop that deals with parts for US cars and got an answer from them that glass is not available separately so i must buy a new mirror #25680165 and it will cost me here in Estonia crazy-ass 885 USD....so what i want to know...does this glass #88891651 have both dimming and heating functions..or not....actually...if it doesn't dim...i guess it's not a big deal, main thing is that it heats since winter here is pretty cold...looked for it on ebay but not one of them had this dimming option.....

thnx
:)

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I would say keep checking ebay, or find an on-line parts house that will ship new parts to you. The glass part # you mentioned is both dimming and heated. And the glass dimensions are the same for '98 to '04 Seville as well as 2000 to 2004 Deville if that helps your search.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...does this glass #88891651 have both dimming and heating functions......

When I called my parts guy, he told me that #88891651 will apply to all mirrors regardless of the options. If you don't have a certain option, it just doesn't get plugged in. He actually sent me directions from the factory service manual showing how to replace the glass.

I agree with checking eBay. That's where I got mine. I actually scored a mirror in the same color with the same options so all I have to do is unbolt one and bolt in the other. If you just want to replace the glass, you should have an easier time finding one especially from a seller that will ship overseas. All it takes is a simple email to them to find out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2007 SRX V6
44 Posts
Hi thnx

once again i was reminded that owning an american car here in europe is a real privilege and for that you must PAY!!!
checked 2 parts dealers one gave me price of 353USD for this glass...so i was kinda..hmmm...another shop bested it handily ..asking 485USD...so i asked my buddy in US to order this glass #88891651 from GMpartsdirect...and whadda you know it cost me 197 USD :)
...also...checked alldata's website and voila! there were detailed instructions for Mirror Face Replacement - Outside Electrochromatic... so i really hope that this will solve this stupid problem :)

anyway, thank you both for tips and suggestions.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi thnx

once again i was reminded that owning an american car here in europe is a real privilege and for that you must PAY!!!
checked 2 parts dealers one gave me price of 353USD for this glass...so i was kinda..hmmm...another shop bested it handily ..asking 485USD...so i asked my buddy in US to order this glass #88891651 from GMpartsdirect...and whadda you know it cost me 197 USD :)
...also...checked alldata's website and voila! there were detailed instructions for Mirror Face Replacement - Outside Electrochromatic... so i really hope that this will solve this stupid problem :)

anyway, thank you both for tips and suggestions.

Glad to see it worked out. If you ever get the chance, you should post the AllData instructions so others can see how its done. I hear this is a common problem.

·
Registered
2007 SRX V6
44 Posts
sure...no problem...it's gonna be long story but here you go...

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the standard electrochromatic mirror glass assembly (3) from the housing (1) of the outside rear view mirror assembly.
    • Manually tilt the mirror glass assembly inboard towards the vehicle.
    • Insert your fingers behind the mirror glass and gently pull the assembly from the housing.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  2. If one or both of the actuator shaft(s) (5 ,8) come off with the mirror glass assembly perform the following procedure:
    • Push the actuator in the direction of one of the two slots of the molded ring where the actuator ball attaches and disengage it from the mirror glass assembly.
    • Ensure that the actuator springs (7) are not pushed down on the actuator shafts but are seated in the groove provided.
    • Install the actuator shaft(s) (5, 8) on to the mirror assembly power drive unit (6) by pressing and rotating the actuator on to the power drive unit.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the electrical connectors to the new standard electrochromatic mirror glass assembly (3).
  2. Rotate the actuator shaft(s) (5, 8) on the power drive unit to align the flats on the actuator ball with the corresponding slots of the molded rings on the back of the mirror glass assembly.
  3. Install the standard electrochromatic mirror glass assembly (3).
    • Ensure the spring fingers (2) are inside the housing assembly (1).
    • Align the center pivot point, the actuators (5, 8), memory plungers (4) on the mirror glass assembly (1) with the corresponding attachment points on the power drive unit.
    • Use a 5cm x 10cm (2 in by 4 in) sanding block and firmly press the mirror glass assembly with enough force to engage the center pivot point on the power drive unit.
  1. Install the upper (vertical) actuator shaft (8) and apply pressure to the top of the mirror glass assembly with the sanding block until an audible snap is heard.
  2. Install the vertical memory plunger (if vehicle is equipped with RPO A45) by manually tilting the glass assembly to the full downward position.
  3. Apply pressure to the bottom of the mirror glass assembly with the sanding block until an audible snap is heard.
  4. Install the side (horizontal) actuator shaft (5) by manually tilting the glass assembly outboard away from the vehicle.
  5. Apply pressure evenly to the inboard portion of the mirror glass assembly with the sanding block until an audible snap is heard.
  6. Ensure all functions are operating correctly by electrically operating the outside rear view mirror assembly. (Up, down, left, right)
  7. Perform a system check, it vehicle is equipped with memory seats (RPO A45). Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Door Systems.
  8. If the outside rear view mirror fails to function correctly, ensure the actuator shafts and memory plungers are seated properly by repeating steps 4 through 10.

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
:eek:snap: now he tells me LOL
lol....i just joined and i had been spending my time reading all the old post and not the new ones....im sure you can cancel your order if you wanted...gm is usually real good about that....but either sorry about being late...lol

i also have a mint sts trunk light.

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
The bottom part of my driver's side mirror on a recently purchased '94 Eldorado is purple. When it rained about a month ago the mirror fogged up but it cleared up eventually. The purple looks like tint but I don't think it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts