Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Seville STS makes a creaking noise when i take off, and when i come to a complete stop.
Is this most likely time for new struts? 117k miles. Rides smooth, just makes a creaking sound when start/stop. Also has a bit of a rattle whenever you hit small bumps, pot-holes etc.. New struts for the car is gonna cost big $$$.
Is there anything else i need to look at before replacing the struts?
Any info would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
The most common problem documented here has been sway bar bushings. My '99 squeaks a little too these days. I'll probably shoot some WD40 around and try to isolate it. Bushings fixed the same clunking on my TurboCoupe a while back.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
My 99 Seville STS makes a creaking noise when i take off, and when i come to a complete stop.
Is this most likely time for new struts? 117k miles. Rides smooth, just makes a creaking sound when start/stop. Also has a bit of a rattle whenever you hit small bumps, pot-holes etc.. New struts for the car is gonna cost big $$$.
Is there anything else i need to look at before replacing the struts?
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Do not buy anything from "Strutmasters". I replaced my SLS struts with their product and have a continous rattle since. When I asked them for suggestions they said (Basically) "Tough Luck", try buying a new set at full price.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,131 Posts
:rolleyes: Assuming the creak is coming from the front L & R suspension areas, completely discount the possibility of worn sway bar bushings or worn tie rod ends before spending big bucks on OEM stock non-mod real GM struts. If you spend half your remaining life reading the suspension threads you'll realize that there are as many aftermarket strut horror stories as there are OEM strut horror stories. It's (generally) a no-win situation: without proper tools and shop area, if you buy the struts online and have Joe install them for X $/hr (maybe a little less $$$ than a dealer job with a 30-day warranty), who does the warranty work? Not Joe. As above, you call the aftermarket supplier with a problem: "Huh ? Who are you ??? Who did the installation? Oh, well, we don't warranty that...." With major repairs that are outside your mechanical tools/ability/ monetary self-insurance, you're usually better off paying the dealer in order to have someone to fall back on in case of problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts