Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pictures of the 99 Escalades exterior and interior?

I have a 99 Suburban K2500 454, and I was pondering the idea of making it into a 99 Escalade ESV just for giggles and grins. Being the Gen 1 'Lades were not too much different than the Tahoe's, should this be all too hard to do?

Thanks!
Just a thought.... My wife really wants a Escalade, but finances aren't allowing for that yet, so I was thinking about this one....

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Go check out fullsizechevy.com. It will be a great resource for you.

I used to hang around there a lot when I had my Tahoes (99 and 01). Lots of folks have done the conversion you are thinking about and have photos of the process, instructions, part numbers, and tips. I have to say though, when all is said and done, you probably could have sold the Suburban and bought a 99 Lade (yes I realize you want an ESV) or even a high mileage 2002+ ESV. Parts are not cheap for the conversion - if you want to do it right and not half heartedly. If I recall, at a minimum, you will need the front clip, wheels, emblems, many interior parts, rear bumper, body side cladding, body colored door handles, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We actually need the size of the burb, and we prefer the larger brakes on a 2500, and 4x4 is mandatory here (SE WI) for my family, not to mention rather fun in the winter... We got into an accident with the old 96 Burb and the larger 3/4t brakes would have been a big benefit. Possibly enough to avoid it. She was hit by 2 semi's, run off the road by one and nailed across the front end with the other, in a construction zone, by speeding trucks and they both hit and run. And no one stopped either, no one got plates and it was my wife, 4 kids and neighbor kid in the truck.

I would love to add the speedo cluster and add an extra gauge or 2 from the stock cluster for trans temp and vacuum or something. If there is room, there is plenty of space.

We'll have to see, I was hoping it wasn't a front clip job, just a header. Bummer. I haven't got to see one up close.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Pretty sure it is the clip (fenders included), not just header but I could be wrong on that - possibly just the header. And, you reminded me about the guage cluster, Cadillac crest headrests, roof rack rails, etc. Still thinking you should just wait and get a used ESV with higher mileage when funds are available. You will save $$, time, and you have a superior vehicle due to the "newer" body style. Plus, your 99 burb is running at 255 HP, right? The ESV will be at 345 HP. Then, when your wife is being edged out by a semi, she can can safely get out in front.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine's a 290 hp 454 (10K towing!) with 410 lb/ft torque. Now tuned with EFILive, closer to 340-350 hp and 450-460 lb/ft torque. Not quick, but nothing slows it down....

Will have to look at the used ESV's and see, I really DO want a LQ9 v8....

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
454, Nice! My 01 5.3 with superchips and K&N (285 HP stock), was no slouch.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,174 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the 99 Escalades exterior and interior?

I have a 99 Suburban K2500 454, and I was pondering the idea of making it into a 99 Escalade ESV just for giggles and grins. Being the Gen 1 'Lades were not too much different than the Tahoe's, should this be all too hard to do?

Thanks!
Just a thought.... My wife really wants a Escalade, but finances aren't allowing for that yet, so I was thinking about this one....
that dude stacy from the show 'trucks' did a conversion on a 99 ish tahoe or yukon (i cant remember which truck it was). but he changed the front bumper, hood, fenders, and header. for the most part it was just remove and install project.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 454's aren't gonna break any acceleration records, but nothing seems to slow them down. Stock to Stock, they have more torque than the 496 has below 2500 rpm, and more hp below 3500 rpm.

But if you look at the timing, at WOT they are only giving them around 18-20 degrees. I think there is a LOT of untapped power in the 454. Maybe they are favoring the trans some (4L80E) to keep reliability up with a heavy 10K# trailer. Torque Management isn't too heavy on them, but still, it won't even let you crack rubber off the line.

I think the bumpers are both color matched to the body right? And the speedo cluster is 120 mph speedo vs 100. White needles vs red (I think they are red, I would have to get back in and look). Mine already leather heated/power seats in the front, but not in back, but the electrical provisions are there to put the wiring in for it.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Yeah, it's been done, at least with the (almost identical) Denali pieces. I have an old Motor Trend where they made what was essentially a Denali XL, using a '98 or '99 Suburban...can't find it at the moment.

In the meantime, a quick pic review:

http://www.netcarshow.com/cadillac/2000-escalade/

The key issue is cost, as the front clip and other pieces are desired for the obvious reasons, and not just cheap and easy to find.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Say N0DIH, is the 454 2500 Suburban decently quick or is it too heavy to really feel the difference between that and a 350 Suburban? I love the older style Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons and Escalades, that's what I'd get if I needed an SUV.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You won't win races with it, but it isn't bad, and if you get on it, you can bury the speedo and just keep going and going and going. There is no end to the power. 2-3 shift is in the 75 mph range and 100 mph is just coming up on the powerband again. I would not doubt given the room 130-140 would be attainable. But in a heads up race, 350 to 454, the 454 would win, but not by a huge amount. And if you tossed 5000# on the back, the 350 would show just how much less power it has. A 350 Burb is only rated at towing 6000# (K series), the 454 is 8K with 3.73's and 10K with 4.10's. I wouldn't hesitate to toss on 10K with the 3.73's and the tuned PCM program, and 12K with 4.10's. But in reality, 4.56's would be ideal for 12K#.

The 454 is significantly stronger than the 350. Worthy of the power, but still I feel it should be stronger being a 454. I am quite fond of the OBS trucks myself. But is it worth the 10-12 mpg city? Well.... The 350 only gets 11-13 city. Maybe.... The 350 revs faster, the 454 pushes the gears better and doesn't have to shift as much as a 350.

The 454 isn't really a high revver, stock, it redlines at 4500 rpm!! Tuned, 5500, but it is a 4 bolt main engine (on all caps), it is probably safe to 6500, but the cam is only around the size of a LT4 cam in a 454, so it is very small for this size engine. I have heard the ZZ502 is a great upgrade. I feel a [email protected] cam is probably a good size keeping a smooth idle. And that will let you rev a lot more. I might look at a ZZ502 cam, or one a tad smaller one of these days when I get some nutty cravings....

I towed a 4000# car/dolly with the stock computer and I didn't even know it was there @ 75 mph. Towing in OD was no issue at all. Tuned it has a LOT more power, 10-15% power gains is NORMAL. The stock PCM tune is very very conservative. I don't regret the 454 purchase over the 350. Mainly the brakes (12.5" front and 13 x 3.5" rear vs 11in front and 11.5 x 2.5" rear, and a hydroboost booster) and the stiffer springs. The K2500 is not a Cadillac smooth ride over bumps, but it is very firm and road stable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts