Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Escalade wont start, it was running fine friday and the following day i turn the key and absolutley nothing, not even a click, i have since tested the battery, it is fine, and assuming by how strong the truck was running the last time i drove it i assume the alternator is fine also, am not positive about the starter, but it seems ok.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
It sounds like your PASS-KEY (VATS) system is malfunctioning. For starters, Check the chip in your key to see if it's damaged.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Try starting with your second key, that way you can see if the "chip" is damaged on your "first" key

·
Registered
244 Posts
Liamaa said:
My 99 Escalade wont start, it was running fine friday and the following day i turn the key and absolutley nothing, not even a click, i have since tested the battery, it is fine, and assuming by how strong the truck was running the last time i drove it i assume the alternator is fine also, am not positive about the starter, but it seems ok.
Holy crap, the EXACT same thing is happening to our 03. Its happened 5 times so far and the dealer isn't givving any effort to fix it. All they do is keep replacing the battery, but we keep telling them, the computer is the one to change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eldo1953 said:
It sounds like your PASS-KEY (VATS) system is malfunctioning. For starters, Check the chip in your key to see if it's damaged.
There is no chip in my key.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm having the same problem, but my problem is that it cranks but the engine won't turn. This just happen today after washing the SUV and now it's stuck there. Anybody has any suggestion? 2000 Escalade. Really like to get this fix before I call tow truck. Thanks :crying2:

·
Registered
376 Posts
DeL2000 said:
I'm having the same problem, but my problem is that it cranks but the engine won't turn. This just happen today after washing the SUV and now it's stuck there. Anybody has any suggestion? 2000 Escalade. Really like to get this fix before I call tow truck. Thanks :crying2:

what your saying doesnt make any sense???

if it cranks, then the engine turns??? :suspect:

unless the starter isn't engaging to the ring gear on the flexplate.

if your sure the starter is spinning, but the engine isnt turning, then you need a new starter solenoid

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2000. Since it was still under warranty I had it towed to the dealer (at their expense). The problem was caused by corroded terminals. This was just within a month of having Sears intall a new battery. My surprise was that I keep it in a garage. Apparently somewhere in the system gets corroded easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It seems it's not the starter nor the soleniod, rather the fuel pump. Must have been some sort of contaminants. But was wondering if anyone know how long these fuel pump last? Currently, I have 40k on the Lade. And it looks as though I may have to do the job myself, going to be a task dropping the fuel tank in order to get to the pump. And the fuel filter is new, check the relay and there's 12v, anything else I need to look for before I tear it apart.

·
Registered
154 Posts
DeL2000 said:
It seems it's not the starter nor the soleniod, rather the fuel pump. Must have been some sort of contaminants. But was wondering if anyone know how long these fuel pump last? Currently, I have 40k on the Lade. And it looks as though I may have to do the job myself, going to be a task dropping the fuel tank in order to get to the pump. And the fuel filter is new, check the relay and there's 12v, anything else I need to look for before I tear it apart.
You should be able to hear the pump prime for about 2 seconds when you turn the key to the on position. If not, it most likely needs replacement. It's a PITA if your doing it by yourself in the driveway like I have done before. :mad:

·
Registered
2005 Escalade
159 Posts
I just had the same thing happen on my '00. Drove over 100 miles a week ago and then it was in the garage for a week. Wouldn't turn over when I tried to start it. 1st clue was the clock wasn't right. I put a charger on the battery for about 10 minutes and was able to get it started. The battery was only about 2 years old, having been replaced by the dealer after the original one leaked all over my driveway. I had a trip to go on so I drove it about 200 miles and it was acting OK, but I didn't trust it. I went to a parts store to get a new battery & discovered that the positive battery terminal was corroded. You couldn't tell anything until the cable was disconnected. I still replaced the battery as I wanted one with more reserve. I cleaned the cable end as good as I could and used the terminal grease before reconnecting. I only had to reset the clock and was on my way. I had noticed that it was turning over a little slow for the last few weeks, I don't drive it every day. So it was giving me warning signs. Cleaning the battery terminals should probably be a routine maintenance item just like replacing the fuel filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts