Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty... My 99 Eldorado had the cassette in the front dash. what can I do to get it changed to a CD player? Can I buy a cd unit from a diff Eldorado and just replace it? I have seen there are many problems. there has to be people here who have changed these audio systems with success...

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The question is:
Do you want to play CDs through your car stereo, or you want specifically to have an in dash CD player?
Yes there is a difference, you can always add a 12 Delco CD changer in the trunk, you already have a harness in there, all you have to do is get an CD changer from e-bay for as little as $40 (up to $150). The only thing to consider, try finding one with magazine (or else is a $30-$40 extra) and with bracket (or else is another $20). Everything is plug-and-play, just mount the CD changer and bracket on the predrilled holes in the right-rear side of the trunk and plug the connector (found loose behind the liner in the same area). No need to program anything (15 minutes installation).
If you really, really want to have an in dash CD player, keep in mind that is a BOSE system while yours is a base system. The difference is HUGE, involve changing every singe component of the sound system: all 4 speakers, add one extra component (called RIM) in the back on the electronics bay, some relays one fuse and rewire the car (yes very few wires from the base system can be used, very few!). Then since the unit is a post ’98 the HU must be taken to the dealer to clean the VIN (unless the unit is new). No it will not be a simple HU swap!
On any of the two base or BOSE setups you can add the 12 CD changer mentioned (is the same part number 16199553).
For more details on adding the BOSE in dash CD/Tape/RDS Radio in a non-BOSE car see this thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts