Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking to replace the current head unit of my '99 eldorado ESC with a Sony XAVAX1000. I don't have the bose / CD player in the car, just the Casette Delco one. What are some pointers here? I've heard a lot of issues with security when replacing these, especially the devilles. Does the eldorado suffer from the same issue unless I re-route the factory radio to the trunk? I currently have the understanding that this is only required if you have the bose HU, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If I buy the metra harness adapter, will I need anything else? Running a wire from the battery or something to keep it powered and not lose presets? Any guidance here is appreciated!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,220 Posts
You need to talk to the guys at Crutchfield. The original HU is programmed to THAT car's VIN and is part of the content theft, TheftLock, and serial data bus. You may need to retain the original HU in the trunk by using the correct jumper and wiring harnesses. It's NOT plug and play.

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! I just talked to the folks at crutchfield and they said the technician notes show nothing about moving the radio to the back on the eldorado, while it does on the deville. They said the only think I would need is a few control harnesses to keep the chime and the steering controls. Does this sound correct or would they may be mistaken?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,220 Posts
Those guys are the aftermarket sound system gurus. Go with their recommendations - while I'm sort of OK in the field I defer to them. Or a GOOD local shop.

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those guys are the aftermarket sound system gurus. Go with their recommendations - while I'm sort of OK in the field I defer to them. Or a GOOD local shop.
Thanks, I went ahead and purchased the products they recommended. I’ll be sure to update this thread with the results!

Thanks again for the recommendation!

·
Registered
'99 Eldorado
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Crutchfield was a great help with this process and I would recommend them for getting the initial equipment, but there were a few things they were unable to help me with that I think I should mention here.

The equipment I purchased from crutchfield was the sony XAVAX-1000, the metra LC harness, and the Axxess steering wheel control module that can be programmed for the select and volume controls.

To install, follow the instructions like any other car. There will be no issues with the security system! I have had 0 issues with security systems in the car for the 3 months I've had this in the car. One caveat is that you really should remove the battery cables before doing ANYTHING in the car wiring- even just unplugging the harness to get the HU out or plug it back in. If everything is soldered and you just plug in the radio, I found that the battery would immediately drain from 12 volts down to 8 and the car would need a jump. If you unplug the battery, then plug the radio in, then plug the battery back in, everything works great!

That is, until 24 hours pass. The memory in the radio will stay alive with your presets for about a day after you start the car. If you truly drive the car every day, then no worries, keep on keeping on. However, if you're like me and don't drive much on weekends, you will be frustrated if you have to reprogram your radio every week. I ended up talking to crutchfield for a few weeks and to different techs, all saying something a bit different. Particularly, they said the battery was probably bad (1 year old, took it to autozone to confirm that it's still good) and eventually, after monitoring the constant 12v wire, it always turns off after about a day, they said the radio was probably defective and sent another one. However, this wasn't the case, and the new replacement radio did the same thing. So, I decided to just wire a direct line with a fuse from the battery to the radio itself. This seems to have fixed the issue! I have left the car for a week at a time and the radio works fine and it still starts.

As a side note, two weird things. 1) the steering wheel control has to be set to a specific manufacturer (call metra, I forgot but they told me!) and the radio HU has to have re-programmable steering wheel control inputs. My sony has this feature. After you program it, the radio controls will work just as the OEM ones do. 2) After a day, direct wire or not, unlocking the car will briefly turn on the radio (and raise the antenna) for a few seconds. I haven't found this to harm anything.

Overall, I love this! 300 dollars and there's a massive improvement to the feel of my car. After getting a new engine a few years ago and doing this radio fix, I feel happy to drive this car as a daily driver for the foreseeable future! I am happy to answer any questions people in the future have about this process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts