Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 20 yr Cadillac mechanic has said I have a blown head gasket - yet I continue to drive the Northstar without any performance problems -only 82k on motor. I only drive short distances in case the temp gauge goes beyond center - oddly enough driving short distances -the temp gauge slowly advances toward HOT (one notch away) and will return to center mark - to me that seems like a faulty ECT sensor - how can the sensor be reading "over heating" and then return to the center - true overheating should bury the gauge to the right. I have researched all the solutions for fixing the Northstar blown head gasket and the Northstar Performance stud kits seem like a great solution BUT - it does not solve a reseal of the bottom end of a 20 year old Northstar. More labor - it looks like a BETTER solution would be a new remanufactured Northstar - Promar Engines seem to have solved the Northstar head bolt/blown head gasket problem. Their website says" we use proper block strengthening techniques to ensure no more blown head gaskets" How do they do that??
I would hope we could encourage Submarine 409 to call and confirm Promar really has a good solution. Their engine is $3399 plus local installation( probably about $2k) for a total of about $6k - a lot of Cadillac Eldorado owners would be willing to invest the $ - if they thought their problem would be solved.
When I called Promar to inquire ( 800-422-6022)- it seemed to me - in addition to remanufacturing Northstars - they were a functioning machine shop - and were allowing the machinist to answer the phones - although seemingly knowledgable - they were not a good articulate spokesman for their product - BUT Submarine 409 would quickly be able to determine - did they really solve the problem? If so - I'd be willing to be a guinea pig and install it and report back to Cadillac forum.
Cadillac forum is a godsent for the owner's looking for help - evaluating Promar's Northstar would really help all of us - with blown head gasket problems.
I hope Submarine 409 will make an effort to help us all - as he always has in the past.
Waiting patiently :sleep:

·
2002 ETC
30 Posts
For $6000 couldn't you have it studded and resealed? You wouldn't have to worry about it again. Have you confirmed it with a block test kit after an overheat yourself? Cleared your purge line? For $6000 you could get yourself a 02 Eldorado. A really nice one too.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
4,243 Posts
For $6000 couldn't you have it studded and resealed? You wouldn't have to worry about it again. Have you confirmed it with a block test kit after an overheat yourself? Cleared your purge line? For $6000 you could get yourself a 02 Eldorado. A really nice one too.
yeah, that^^^ Have you pulled codes and done the block test. Why didn't your 20 year mechanic suggest that first? BTW, it's Submariner409 , not Submarine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when I pressed the caddy mechanic for a quote to stud and reseal - he suggested a new motor - I ran the block test 2x -first -liquid remained blue -2nd - not yellow -more beige - think will run for 3rd time - couldn't figure out how to purge line. it's my understanding Northstar problems not solved until 2004+ it seemed to me best way to avoid future problems would be to just get reman. I love the old Eldo.
Thxs for reply

·
2002 ETC
30 Posts
That purge line is easy to do. I'm a dumb blonde and I did it myself lol. Don't dump a bunch of money into it until you check that out. Just google Cadillac Forums purge line. It really is worth it. If that line is clogged it will overheat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, that^^^ Have you pulled codes and done the block test. Why didn't your 20 year mechanic suggest that first? BTW, it's Submariner409 , not Submarine.
Thxs for reply - haven't had any codes with exception of recent P0301 Cyl #1 misfire - have all new coil packs. new plugs and wires- from all the You tube video's I've watched -Northstar stud replacement seems to be best solution - their kit is $600 plus pulling engine @ 82k miles on engine - it is not leaking - but it seems silly not to reseal while out has been difficult getting an estimate from my mechanic - I'll have to push harder. Thxs for correction on Submariner - hope he doesn't take offense - just thought maybe he could endorse their motor

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,322 Posts
Sorry, but I am not in the business of doing engine repair telephone homework for others. The work and the options are discussed endlessly in these Northstar car and engine forums. The answers are ALL there - and discussed as recently as 12 minutes ago.

Your 1999 Northstar can be totally rebuilt or you can drop in a reman unit from one of several rebuilders. A 1999 has many, many more parts (primarily valvetrain) prone to wear than the 2000 and later - but you can't swap in a later engine.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,724 Posts
That purge line is easy to do. I'm a dumb blonde and I did it myself lol. Don't dump a bunch of money into it until you check that out. Just google Cadillac Forums purge line. It really is worth it. If that line is clogged it will overheat.
=========================
you don't sound like a "dumb blonde" to me -

·
Super Moderator
86,087 Posts
the temp gauge slowly advances toward HOT (one notch away) and will return to center mark - to me that seems like a faulty ECT sensor - how can the sensor be reading "over heating" and then return to the center
IF the purge line is clogged (which is quite possible on a '99 since GM was still using and recommending the use of sealant tabs at that time), the WP can create an air pocket due to cavitation. The WP can't pump air and the coolant ceases to flow. The engine heats up and the gauge rises. Enough coolant then drains into the WP cavity and WP begins pumping coolant again. When that "cooler" coolant reaches the ECT sensor, the gauge drops back to normal and the sequence repeats. CHECK THAT PURGE LINE BEFORE SPENDING ANY MORE MONEY.

·
66,322 Posts
Yeah that ^^^

Please see and read the companion thread on the 2000 Eldorado overheat events - and the fix.

........... Not saying that's the problem here, but the chances are pretty good that it is.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just so you know, the up and down temp thing doesn't mean you are out of the woods. It just means that some of the pressure is getting out.

Mine behaved just like that with a blown head gasket. The pressure was getting released from the coolant crossover. When I repaired the crossover, my overheating problem got worse and then required me to release pressure through the tank.

You are probably in the early failure stages.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was told by a couple of reliable sources in N* forum that my '99 was one of the "bastard N*s" that was used in production. Prone to early HG failure. It only had 62k miles. I loved that beast, but they were correct. What I've read here sounds like good advice, good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sept 10 update -still no loss of coolant after installing Thermalweld - see below
My 1999 Eldorado with 82k started overheating about 2 months ago – a block test initially passed – keeping the fluid blue – but several weeks later as it continued to over heat and lose coolant – I reran the coolant test – yellow fluid this time. From everything I have read on the forum – it was probably an early sign of a blown head gasket. Again, I reread all the threads on the forum and decided I had 2 options – one would cost about $2500+ to remove engine and install inserts - #2 would be to install a remanufactured NorthStar for about $6k. I agonized over which one to choose – then I found a $250 solution = https://thermalweld.com/ I reluctantly ordered the product for $250 after talking with Robert Hooper @805-440-3175 the owner and chemist inventor of Thermalweld. Mr. Hooper created Thermalweld in 1995 and has had 24 years experience helping Cadillac NorthStar owners fix their over heating problems. I flushed my NorthStar of Dexcool by draining the block thru the purge line. Refilled with water and added Thermalweld following Mr. Hooper’s detailed instructions – I installed the 2 bottles on 8/22 and have driven over 400 miles with no loss of coolant and temp gauge stays right at 12 oclock. I couldn’t be happier – yes I was skeptical – but felt it was worth a chance $250- or $6k – the Thermaweld will not clog anything -radiator -heater core -water pump – because of it’s chemical composition. I refilled coolant system with 50/50 Prestone green antifreeze – being anal I used distilled water for the 50/50 mix
I would guess most old Cadillac NorthStar owners are like me – old farts who love their Cadillacs – in my opinion no Cadillac since the discontinuance of the Eldo in 2002 can match the classic styling – mine is Silver with a full Silver vinyl top. I love it! I know a lot of forum contributors will poo poo this solution – Submariner409 was kind but skeptical and adopted a “ we’ll wait and see attitude” I drove 8000 miles last year-153 miles per week – it’s been about 3 weeks and I’ve pushed myself to make more trips to the grocery store and Walmart to put miles on – checking coolant after every drive. Not a drop lost.
The advantage of Cadillac Forums is to share knowledge/ and experiences -good and bad…so far my experience with Thermalweld has been good….I know that time will tell. Maybe this will encourage other NorthStar owners to try the product. And give us their results

·
66,322 Posts
Still shilling for "Thermaweld"?

We'll wait - 400 miles is NOTHING to a Northstar, and your 1999 was the worst year for failure.

·
Super Moderator 2003 Deville Base ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
4,243 Posts
Still shilling for "Thermaweld"?

We'll wait - 400 miles is NOTHING to a Northstar, and your 1999 was the worst year for failure.

it’s been about 3 weeks and I’ve pushed myself to make more trips to the grocery store and Walmart to put miles on – checking coolant after every drive. Not a drop lost.
after every drive?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,724 Posts
Sept 10 update -still no loss of coolant after installing Thermalweld - see below
My 1999 Eldorado with 82k started overheating about 2 months ago – a block test initially passed – keeping the fluid blue – but several weeks later as it continued to over heat and lose coolant – I reran the coolant test – yellow fluid this time. From everything I have read on the forum – it was probably an early sign of a blown head gasket. Again, I reread all the threads on the forum and decided I had 2 options – one would cost about $2500+ to remove engine and install inserts - #2 would be to install a remanufactured NorthStar for about $6k. I agonized over which one to choose – then I found a $250 solution = https://thermalweld.com/ I reluctantly ordered the product for $250 after talking with Robert Hooper @805-440-3175 the owner and chemist inventor of Thermalweld. Mr. Hooper created Thermalweld in 1995 and has had 24 years experience helping Cadillac NorthStar owners fix their over heating problems. I flushed my NorthStar of Dexcool by draining the block thru the purge line. Refilled with water and added Thermalweld following Mr. Hooper’s detailed instructions – I installed the 2 bottles on 8/22 and have driven over 400 miles with no loss of coolant and temp gauge stays right at 12 oclock. I couldn’t be happier – yes I was skeptical – but felt it was worth a chance $250- or $6k – the Thermaweld will not clog anything -radiator -heater core -water pump – because of it’s chemical composition. I refilled coolant system with 50/50 Prestone green antifreeze – being anal I used distilled water for the 50/50 mix
I would guess most old Cadillac NorthStar owners are like me – old farts who love their Cadillacs – in my opinion no Cadillac since the discontinuance of the Eldo in 2002 can match the classic styling – mine is Silver with a full Silver vinyl top. I love it! I know a lot of forum contributors will poo poo this solution – Submariner409 was kind but skeptical and adopted a “ we’ll wait and see attitude” I drove 8000 miles last year-153 miles per week – it’s been about 3 weeks and I’ve pushed myself to make more trips to the grocery store and Walmart to put miles on – checking coolant after every drive. Not a drop lost.
The advantage of Cadillac Forums is to share knowledge/ and experiences -good and bad…so far my experience with Thermalweld has been good….I know that time will tell. Maybe this will encourage other NorthStar owners to try the product. And give us their results
==============================
then I found a $250 solution -
WRONG!

you found a $250 - very - VERY - VERY TEMPORARY band-aid - if that -

the problem with ANY/ALL of these stop-leak products -
BESIDES NOT WORKING - they WILL cause MORE problems -
clog up the PURGE LINE - heater core - and radiator -

=========================

WARNING TO ANYONE THINKING OF TRYING THIS SNAKE-OIL -
- - - - - - - - - - - - DON'T DO IT - - - - - - - - - - - -
until you actually read about - and completely understand the underlying CAUSE of the failed head gaskets -
THEN you can plainly see WHY this crap CAN'T POSSIBLY work -

ALSO - watch this video and see what this crap does to an engine -

·
66,322 Posts
Remember - the stuff being discussed uses large amounts of sodium silicate - "water glass" - that was used to destroy engines during the "Cash For Clunkers" government vehicle buyback destruction program.

Study - watch a couple of these videos and decide if you want to take the chance of the stuff either getting into the engine oil or into a cylinder.

- Olds Aurora V8 Northstar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
10 Participants
Submariner409