Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 99 Deville I hear a noise coming from the drivers side front wheel. It sounds like something is rubbing against the tire and increases and decrease with the speed of the car. It is a low groan type of noise. I am going to try doing figure eights and see if the load on the bearing makes a difference. I do not know if this will help because it is hard to hear it at a slow speed. When driving it doesn't seem to change going into our out of turns. Would a CV joint make this type of noise?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
CV joints usually make a clunking noise in turns. Sounds like a bearing or possibly tire noise.

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to change the bearing last night and I had the dreaded green grease all over. So I changed the bearing and the half-shaft. The noise is gone! The bearing came apart leaving the metal cap from the back of the bearing in the spindle but the bearing felt OK so I do not know if it was the shaft or the bearing making the noise. Now I hear a faint noise from the passenger side!!!!! I am going to ride this one out until I get a more solid symptom of what it is causing the noise. I would have waited to change the drivers side but I am leaving on a trip and didnh't want to take a chance of breaking down on the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts